Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

McNair in the HoF?

I keep going back and forth on this one ....

... and since it's the off-season, we all need something to yell at each other about! So what does everyone think? Im sure he is a lock for the RoH (in Tennessee, that is) nut what about Canton?

Im leaning (slightly) towards yes. If you go by passing numbers and add the fact he was quite the rushing QB back in the day, IMO that tips the scales (again, slightly) towards yes.

Re: McNair in the HoF?

Excellent question! I too am leaning to yes, he will be in the HOF. But by no means is he a lock. Had he won the SB the year they were in, and/or won it the year they should've won it, ie the year the Ravens won it(I really believe that was the Titans year to win it all, he'd be a lock. But putting that aside, the guy should be granted admittance to Canton.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

?

No.

He was a very good QB but not the best in the NFL during his time. He won no Championships. He'll get talked about but if he gets in the bar will have to be lowered.

HOF? You've got to be kidding.

McNair was merely an above average QB for 1/2 decade with the Titans. Not in the same class as the NFL's upper tier QBs of the era (esp. Favre & Manning, who will deserve HOF consideration.) A street fighter, yes. An outstanding passer: no. And plagued by injuries. One great season, otherwise, perhaps top 10, not top 5.

As a Raven, McNair stacks right up there with Tony Banks: one decent season, otherwise sucked.

How anyone could seriously consider McNair to be an HOF QB is beyond me.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

McNair was an above average QB at best. He'll be remember for his toughest and playing through injuries and thats it. Its the Hall of "FAME" not the Hall of Very Good.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

While agree that is called the "Hall of Fame", what has been going on over the past 20+ years, it has become the "Hall of Very Good".

There are better QB's that have been left out, that's something I think we can all agree on.

BUT, if you go by the past 10 or so years on who has been getting into Canton, I think he will go in.

I guess it all depends on if you see this debate as who SHOULD get in as opposed to who WILL get in.

Put him next to Brett Favre...how does he stack up?

He was a very solid QB with a couple great years. A warrior, lots of heart. IMO not HoF material. I wouldn't have a huge problem with it if he gets in. But look at the other QBs during his time. There's five or ten you could say were better...should a top 5 guy get into the Hall? Probably not.

While agree that is called the "Hall of Fame", what has been going on over the past 20+ years, it has become the "Hall of Very Good".
    Who specifically are you talking about? I don't know that I agree with this...I think the NFL HoF is one of the most exclusive Halls in sports.

- C -

McNair was a good....maybe a very good NFL QB. I don't think he deserves a spot nor will he be given a spot. He had three years where he was in position to win a Superbowl and came up empty. If he wins one of those years, I think it is a different debate.

HOF worthy QBs who McNair played at the same time as:

- Peyton Manning
    - Tom Brady
    - Brett Favre

Then you've got another bunch of guys like Roethlisberger, Manning II and others who have won Superbowls and have the chance to build far superior resume's than McNair managed.

He was a very good QB, he was a warrior (deserves that title even though it's banded about too much, like the term great) and he was a great team mate and leader, but he wasn't a great QB, not a HOFer, pride of place in the Titans ring of honor but a distance short of Canton.

You can't take the minimum of who is in the hall as the bench mark for new members, otherwise you'd need a draft class about 25 deep (or more) to get in all of the WRs more deserving than Lynn Swann.

Food for thought ....

Mike & Mike had Steve on their show this morning. Greeny and Buster Olney (sitting in for Golic) both thought he's going into Canton.

4 time pro-bowler, league MVP in 2003, 35,000+ yards passing, over 3,000+ yards rushing

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    HOF? You've got to be kidding.

McNair was merely an above average QB for 1/2 decade with the Titans. Not in the same class as the NFL's upper tier QBs of the era (esp. Favre & Manning, who will deserve HOF consideration.) A street fighter, yes. An outstanding passer: no. And plagued by injuries. One great season, otherwise, perhaps top 10, not top 5.

As a Raven, McNair stacks right up there with Tony Banks: one decent season, otherwise sucked.

How anyone could seriously consider McNair to be an HOF QB is beyond me.
    Wow, what are you gonna do now that McNair is gone? Your favorite QB might start again and you won't be able to bitch and moan about McNair.

Anyway.

The Pro Football HOF is a joke because of the rule they have in place about having at least 4 people inducted each year.

That right there diminishes the whole thing.

If it were up to me McNair wouldn't get it. Just as tons of others that are in would be out.

But the way it's set up, he might have a shot.

PP

Comparing McNair to Banks is quite the stretch . . . . however, I'm leaning towards no. He had a good career in Tenny . . . . he sucked here and quite frankly I'm glad he's gone. Nothing personal, but the guy was done before he stepped foot in our facility. The Titans knew what they were doing when they said bye bye.

Of course, that's just my opinion :girlfight

P.S. Banks
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters