Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Revisiting the 2019 draft

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I have a feeling that the Ravens are not likely to pick up Marquise's 5th year option. I think that was part of the rationale behind drafting Bateman. It looks like the Ravens are going to have serious OL issues this year, which will impact the passing game and Marquise's ability to have a truly breakout season.
    The Ravens might pick it up but I wouldn't. It looks like WR is becoming the new RB as a position where there it's getting easier to find talent right through the draft or in cheap free agents such as Watkins. For as long as the WR glut lasts I think I'd rather stock the position by taking shots in rounds 2 - 4 of the draft and cheap vets.

Blog Entries

That's a really bad draft looking at it now. Has to be one of our worst. 2004 is probably still the worst but this is up there.

To be honest I am DeCosta fan but I haven't been overly impressed with his drafting. That said, we're just now in Y3 on his first draft, so too early to really judge.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Too soon to have a true evaluation for that draft. Injuries can destroy any draft and Covid retarded every players development. Plus I rather look at several years running drafts to see trend to take out the injury bugs. A full 50% of first round draft picks are bust and that for the 32 best players if your scouting is good. Another problem is our historical bad ability to develop WR talent. We can find an un-drafted LB or a low round O lineman and get him playing well enough that other teams give them big second contracts. Nobody has done that for our WR.

The real thing that I think EDC has figured out is the need for doubling down on picks for need. If you need a TE he gets two, like Hurst and Andrews or Williams and Boyle or Pita and Ed Dixon. In each case one pick turned out to be much better than the other and it was the lower draft pick. How would life be if were only drafted Hurst, Williams and Dixon? Serviceable but not much beyond that. So he stockpiles draft picks hoping for 5 out of 10 to hit instead of 3 out of 7 many teams who sit pat on the draft end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    That's a really bad draft looking at it now. Has to be one of our worst. 2004 is probably still the worst but this is up there.

To be honest I am DeCosta fan but I haven't been overly impressed with his drafting. That said, we're just now in Y3 on his first draft, so too early to really judge.
    +1 DeCosta in my mind is making his money with trades and extensions more than the draft. 2020 looks better on paper at least, but it is early and nobody has full blown broken out and made me say wow that was a great pick. And it’s only been 1 game but 2021 hasn’t gotten off to a good start at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    I disagree with the Wade pick as a throwaway pick. Most people valued the pick at the time given Wade's upside based on his 2019 tape. And we know the mantra about having enough DBs. It obviously hasn't worked out but it made a lot of sense.

And regarding the OT, the pickings at 27 or beyond were slim. Of course we hoped for Jenkins, but he's out for the season and he would have been of no use to the Ravens now. As for the rest, well, just two tweets I've posted in another thread:

https://twitter.com/CoachPaulAlex/st...63818369830915
    https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/stat...43032304635908
    Um …we coulda had Cosmi easily. Dude has scored a solid 80+ each week so far in PFF. Solid starter. The WTFs got him with pick 19 in the 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It feels like we lost a lot of good scouts.

Especially in terms of Dline men and edge. We used to be able to get solid starters out of low round picks and UDFA, but this hasn't been the case for a while.

At least it looks like we finally turned the corner on WRs. I still think Bateman will be a star.

Blog Entries

stop drafting WRs when we have no Offensive line

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Um …we coulda had Cosmi easily. Dude has scored a solid 80+ each week so far in PFF. Solid starter. The WTFs got him with pick 19 in the 2nd.

One guy who could be something but if I'm reading his grades correctly he was very good in the run game but awful in pass blocking snaps. Like 85 RB and 15 PB. Like the 5th response to the tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    One guy who could be something but if I'm reading his grades correctly he was very good in the run game but awful in pass blocking snaps. Like 85 RB and 15 PB. Like the 5th response to the tweet.
    Well…we’re a running team.

The guy looked solid to me last night. And Hieke is half the Qb Lamar is.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    I happen to be looking back at our draft classes and this one stood out as being particularly bad. I mean only one player is a legitimate NFL starter. How would you rate EDC's first draft class a couple years later?

1, Pick 25: WR Marquise Brown
    3, PIck 85: DE Jaylon Ferguson
    3, Pick 93: WR Miles Boykin
    4, Pick 113: RB Justice Hill
    4, Pick 123: OL Ben Powers
    4 Pick 127: CB Iman Marshall
    5, Pick 160: DT Daylon Mack
    6, Pick 197: QB Trace McSorley
    Yes this draft class has been underwhelming. The irony is that Lamar would go on to become an MVP.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Yes this draft class has been underwhelming. The irony is that Lamar would go on to become an MVP.
    Rookie classes rarely have that big an impact year 1. So Lamar's MVP had more to do with 2016-2017 and a lot to do with the 2018 class.

12. Re: Revisiting the 2019 draft

Ozzie should come out of retirement every year for the draft
    You guys wanna hear a funny joke?

DEAN PEES............That is all