Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Revisiting the 2019 draft

Quote Originally Posted by PainServer52 View Post
    Ozzie should come out of retirement every year for the draft
    Heh... I remember all the times posters here called Ozzie overrated and wanted him to stop drafting. Or be fired, or whatever.

That's what necessitated the "What part of I got this don't y'all understand?" meme

Blog Entries

can spin it however you like but as of right now it’s looking like a very poor draft

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    One guy who could be something but if I'm reading his grades correctly he was very good in the run game but awful in pass blocking snaps. Like 85 RB and 15 PB. Like the 5th response to the tweet.
    Cosmi was up against Joey Bosa all game which is brutal for a rookie in his first week.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Cosmi was up against Joey Bosa all game which is brutal for a rookie in his first week.
    Thanks. I haven't watched the game. Context matters, no doubt.

I echo all of Valhain's comments. I would give the draft a rough "average" so far, with potential for some upside. It is not a poor draft, the only significant miss being Boykin late in the third.

The jury is mainly out on two players, Ferguson and Powers.

I am still high on Ferguson as a late round three pick. He is regarded negatively by many because he came in with a sack record and the related moniker, which is used derisively by posters who have no other thoughts about him. There is hardly any discussion of where Ferguson is in his development or what he could become. The big jump from LA Tech to the NFL and the missing 2020 preseason have affected his development, no doubt. (Some great pass rushers in the past did not show what they could do until their third year.) He has shown signs of coming on this year, although he has not had a chance to demonstrate that improvement yet against anybody's "1s", IIANM.

We were spoiled with so many years of Suggs. Surely, a "Sack Daddy" from college would be a budding Baby Suggs. Well, that's not going to happen. Ferguson has talent, apparent motivation, a motor, and great strength, but even with improving technique, he does not have the quickness (IMO) to become a great pass rusher. However, he is a genuine Raven-like beast, with "arms like vines" and could be a good rotational player with starter quality - one we could afford past his rookie deal because his sack totals will likely be decent, but not through the roof. He can set the edge with authority and also is a candidate, Iwt, to replace Wolfe at DE, either gradually or suddenly. He could give us more than Urban or Wormley did. He could also be an ideal 3rd and long NT. And he could be a good backup Rush OLB.

Powers could be a decent OG as soon as this autumn, maybe even a little better, which would be a godsend, considering how bad our OT situation is, and how much magic Lamar can generate with even an average sort of line. If he gets there, you are grateful for that from the fourth round every time.

Much lesser factors in judging the draft are Hill and Marshall. Hill could make the team in 2022 as a quality ST gunner and decent backup RB. And if they like him, he will be cheap to keep. Marshall, if he ever gets healthy, only would have a future as a vet minimum STer, which he would have to be really good at to justify being kept.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    I happen to be looking back at our draft classes and this one stood out as being particularly bad. I mean only one player is a legitimate NFL starter. How would you rate EDC's first draft class a couple years later?

1, Pick 25: WR Marquise Brown
    3, PIck 85: DE Jaylon Ferguson
    3, Pick 93: WR Miles Boykin
    4, Pick 113: RB Justice Hill
    4, Pick 123: OL Ben Powers
    4 Pick 127: CB Iman Marshall
    5, Pick 160: DT Daylon Mack
    6, Pick 197: QB Trace McSorley
    Eww, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    can spin it however you like but as of right now it’s looking like a very poor draft
    Facts

Sad part is, Hollywood is the best player in the draft and we took him over DK, AJ Brown, Scary Terry, smfh

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Sad part is, Hollywood is the best player in the draft and we took him over DK, AJ Brown, Scary Terry, smfh
    Honestly, and this isn't hindsight, Boykin was a head shaker too. There were still many more talented players available at that time. Daylon Mack isn't even on an NFL practice squad. Marshall is always hurt. Ferguson may not be a bust but 3 seasons later is still a project.

I'm not blaming this all on EDC but there has to be some issues with our scouting because I think some RSR forum members could do a better job drafting.

I had the Ravens in the RSR mock draft this year. I took AJ Brown R1, and Scary Terry in R3. Bc was not pleased lol, that’s all I remember he did not like doubling up on WR.

11. Re: Revisiting the 2019 draft

I'd argue Mekari is better than 7/8 players in this class... nice find for an UDFA but not really what you want to happen if most of these picks don't pan out

My only problem with the drafts that we've had is that the Ravens have tried to get cute with their picks. It's like they think they're smarter than everyone else so they'll pick the unconventional guy that doesn't turn out very good. I'm just looking at 2019 and thinking "why would we take a puny slot guy who's played against BIG12 defenses as our #1 WR when we could take A.J. Brown?" I personally liked A.J. Brown and D.K. Metcalf in that draft. And it's a routine thing year in and year out. Every year they take a guy that just doesn't make sense. Sure, maybe it fills a position of need. But the choice of player is baffling. That's why this team has drafted like an average team for a while now, they either don't scout enough, or they scout way too much and they get lost in the weeds of player scouting. Take the obvious choice!

Another issue I think too, following along those lines, they personally feel like they can just take OL anywhere in the draft and turn them into gold. They think they can duplicate Marshal Yanda and Ben Grubbs etc......which they clearly can't! They need to invest in Lamar or whoever the future is at QB by "building the foundation" with the OL.