Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Revisiting the 2019 draft

I happen to be looking back at our draft classes and this one stood out as being particularly bad. I mean only one player is a legitimate NFL starter. How would you rate EDC's first draft class a couple years later?

1, Pick 25: WR Marquise Brown
    3, PIck 85: DE Jaylon Ferguson
    3, Pick 93: WR Miles Boykin
    4, Pick 113: RB Justice Hill
    4, Pick 123: OL Ben Powers
    4 Pick 127: CB Iman Marshall
    5, Pick 160: DT Daylon Mack
    6, Pick 197: QB Trace McSorley

Re: Revisiting the 2019 draft

As:

1. Probably on the average to bad part of the scale, rather than particularly bad, specially considering that there was no 2nd round pick and both 3rds are at the back end of the round. Late 4th round picks and beyond are just lottery tickets. You can count yourself lucky if you get depth players out of those (with the occasional hit)
    2. Powers can still make it and no, I'm not going into the Boykin pick.
    3. Inconclusive. Come back in 3 years.

Blog Entries

After this year we’ll know. This is year 3. Outside of Hollywood the offers will have 1 more year left under contract. For Brown they have to decide on an expensive option.

So who are you willing to pay to extend? Maybe Powers. Do you pick up Brown’s option? Not yet. He has to do better in year 3. By the end of this season we should know how this draft really was.

Worth noting also that 2019 and 2020's Drafts have missed a full preseason. That probably hasn't helped when you pick guys later than most teams.

It was a bad draft when it came to finding players (which always has a lot of luck involved) but in terms of process and logic it was better than the 2021 draft because there were no throwaway picks like Mason and Wade and because EDC doesn't seem to have learned from it.

EDC targeted most positions of need and double dipped at WR, the most glaring need of all. The biggest unaddressed position in 19 was ILB and we saw straight away that that was a massive problem.

2019 was his first draft, though. The fact that he didn't learn from it and failed to draft a Tackle in 2021 shows a lack of progress that makes the 21 draft worse for me in terms of process, even if we get luckier with the players picked.

Overall EDC gambled on upside quite a few times in 19, which I like. It didn't pay off, but that's as much about bad luck as bad drafting.

- The Marquise pick made sense - he was the WR the young, star QB wanted from a group of receivers that were similarly rated (pre draft).
    - Ferguson was very productive in college and they thought his floor was good enough to be worth the gamble. As a pass rusher, he didn't work out but he's showing some signs of reaching that floor as an edge setter.
    - Boykin was a gamble on athletic traits. I can support that. It didn't work in Miles' case but it looks to be working for Oweh.
    - Justice Hill - Just a bad pick. RB is about the easiest position to scout and he's never looked like an NFL player.
    - Ben Powers - Par pick. A depth guard is what you expect in Round 4 and that's what they got.
    - IR-man Marshall - He had potential so it was a reasonable pick but injuries.
    - Daylon Mack - His talent was worth the gamble but they should have scouted his character better.
    - Trace McSorley - Looked like the best potential back up for Lamar in that draft and they hoped his athleticism could give them something. That didn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    It was a bad draft when it came to finding players (which always has a lot of luck involved) but in terms of process and logic it was better than the 2021 draft because there were no throwaway picks like Mason and Wade and because EDC doesn't seem to have learned from it.

EDC targeted most positions of need and double dipped at WR, the most glaring need of all. The biggest unaddressed position in 19 was ILB and we saw straight away that that was a massive problem.

2019 was his first draft, though. The fact that he didn't learn from it and failed to draft a Tackle in 2021 shows a lack of progress that makes the 21 draft worse for me in terms of process, even if we get luckier with the players picked.

Overall EDC gambled on upside quite a few times in 19, which I like. It didn't pay off, but that's as much about bad luck as bad drafting.

- The Marquise pick made sense - he was the WR the young, star QB wanted from a group of receivers that were similarly rated (pre draft).
    - Ferguson was very productive in college and they thought his floor was good enough to be worth the gamble. As a pass rusher, he didn't work out but he's showing some signs of reaching that floor as an edge setter.
    - Boykin was a gamble on athletic traits. I can support that. It didn't work in Miles' case but it looks to be working for Oweh.
    - Justice Hill - Just a bad pick. RB is about the easiest position to scout and he's never looked like an NFL player.
    - Ben Powers - Par pick. A depth guard is what you expect in Round 4 and that's what they got.
    - IR-man Marshall - He had potential so it was a reasonable pick but injuries.
    - Daylon Mack - His talent was worth the gamble but they should have scouted his character better.
    - Trace McSorley - Looked like the best potential back up for Lamar in that draft and they hoped his athleticism could give them something. That didn't work either.
    I disagree with the Wade pick as a throwaway pick. Most people valued the pick at the time given Wade's upside based on his 2019 tape. And we know the mantra about having enough DBs. It obviously hasn't worked out but it made a lot of sense.

And regarding the OT, the pickings at 27 or beyond were slim. Of course we hoped for Jenkins, but he's out for the season and he would have been of no use to the Ravens now. As for the rest, well, just two tweets I've posted in another thread:

https://twitter.com/CoachPaulAlex/st...63818369830915
    https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/stat...43032304635908

I think the reason why EDC has said that he wanted 20 draft picks in 2021 and 2022 was because he knows he shit the bed with the 2019 draft. With Lamar's contract coming up, he will have to fill a lot of roster spots (especially DL, CB and OL) with younger, cheaper players.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    I disagree with the Wade pick as a throwaway pick. Most people valued the pick at the time given Wade's upside based on his 2019 tape. And we know the mantra about having enough DBs. It obviously hasn't worked out but it made a lot of sense.

And regarding the OT, the pickings at 27 or beyond were slim. Of course we hoped for Jenkins, but he's out for the season and he would have been of no use to the Ravens now. As for the rest, well, just two tweets I've posted in another thread:

https://twitter.com/CoachPaulAlex/st...63818369830915
    https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/stat...43032304635908
    Great point about Wade. I'm a bit puzzled why I even mentioned his name as a bad pick because I liked that pick as a worthwhile gamble at the time and I still think so now. I suppose because I've seen complaints about it floating around over the last few days it sneaked into my subconscious.

As for OTs, I don't think the pickings were as slim as all that and I don't think we can write some of them off after just 1 game.

Great point about Wade. I'm a bit puzzled why I even mentioned his name as a bad pick because I liked that pick as a worthwhile gamble at the time and I still think so now. I suppose because I've seen complaints about it floating around over the last few days it sneaked into my subconscious.

As for OTs, I don't think the pickings were as slim as all that and I don't think we can write some of them off after just 1 game.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, some of those OTs will come good with time.

It was more a question of how much they could have helped the Ravens this season and the answer is, probably not much if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Oh, don't get me wrong, some of those OTs will come good with time.

It was more a question of how much they could have helped the Ravens this season and the answer is, probably not much if at all.
    To help the Ravens this season they'd just need to be better at Tackle than Mekari, so I'm not so sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    After this year we’ll know. This is year 3. Outside of Hollywood the offers will have 1 more year left under contract. For Brown they have to decide on an expensive option.

So who are you willing to pay to extend? Maybe Powers. Do you pick up Brown’s option? Not yet. He has to do better in year 3. By the end of this season we should know how this draft really was.
    I have a feeling that the Ravens are not likely to pick up Marquise's 5th year option. I think that was part of the rationale behind drafting Bateman. It looks like the Ravens are going to have serious OL issues this year, which will impact the passing game and Marquise's ability to have a truly breakout season.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

To help the Ravens this season they'd just need to be better at Tackle than Mekari, so I'm not so sure.
    Mekari has the benefit of being NFL ready, having some experience and of knowing the playbook inside out but there, one of my 2021 mock drafts, lol:

31. Liam Eichenberg - OT, Notre Dame
    33. Jaelan Phillips - EDGE, Miami
    59. Jevon Holland - S, Oregon
    65. Deonte Brown - IOL, Alabama
    95. Alim McNeill - IDL, NC State
    167. Josh Imatorbhebhe - WR, Illinois
    207. Marco Wilson - CB, Florida
    248. Luke Farrell - TE, Ohio State

But then, Jaelan played only 22 defensive snaps, Jevon Holland 24, Deonte Brown was inactive, McNeill 28 snaps, Imatorbhebhe was cut, Farrell had 4 snaps. Marco Wilson played 91% of snaps for Miami.

And no Bateman or Oweh, both of who will be good to very good for the Ravens.