Cap implications of McNair's release

If the team processes his retirement immediately, then the entire $7.35M will accelerate and count against this year’s Cap, in which case, an additional $900K over and above his current figure of $6.45M, thus reducing the amount under the Cap to $3.339M.

On the other hand, if the team processes his release before McNair files his retirement papers, the team can treat him as a June 1 release. If they decide to handle it that way, the team will save $4M against this year’s Cap, with only $2.45M in dead money counting against the ’08 figure. They will however be charged with $4.9M in dead money against the 2009 Cap.
    More:

http://www.ravens24x7.com/column_vie...5&view=archive
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Re: Cap implications of McNair's release

Accellerate it all now, extend Suggs and SAVE! I'd rather have a producting Suggs count a LOT agaisnt next years cap then a retired Steve McNair. As you explain, that leaves us in solid position heading into the draft.

With McNair coming off the Cap, we would also take another hit of a player coming back on the cap due to the Rule of 51. In this case, I believe it is Troy Smith at 405,000 counting against the cap now.

So that would leave about 2.9 million in room, we still have plenty of room regardless. We can do a post June 1 on Ogden and still have enough money to cover the draft pick cost over our current EFA's, and any other training camp signings.

I do not think Gaston and Cochrane are in these figures, so these cuts (roster omissions would have no bearing on the cap situation)

Quote Originally Posted by gusbus52 View Post
    With McNair coming off the Cap, we would also take another hit of a player coming back on the cap due to the Rule of 51. In this case, I believe it is Troy Smith at 405,000 counting against the cap now.

So that would leave about 2.9 million in room, we still have plenty of room regardless. We can do a post June 1 on Ogden and still have enough money to cover the draft pick cost over our current EFA's, and any other training camp signings.

I do not think Gaston and Cochrane are in these figures, so these cuts (roster omissions would have no bearing on the cap situation)
    Yes, assuming they take the hit from McNair now, that is correct. At this point, though, he is still counting, so nothing has been processed yet.

If they do take it now, it's Gaither at $407,666 that would be become the 51st guy.

Both Gaston ($370K) and Cochrane ($295K) were already below the line, so they do not count.

If JO is released after June 1 (or using the June 1 exemption), then they will get an additional $2.515M in cap space after June 1, while carrying $4.003M in dead money this year. They will also get hit with $5.326M in dead money against the 2009 Cap.