Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: Concerns for 2021 Season

Right now, the biggest concern on this team is tackling on defense. And it's not just a Patrick Queen issue.

Also the OL isn't run blocking very well but I think that's partly because of how defenses are stacking the box.

Blog Entries

Bengals game concerns-

o Bozeman's health and back-up:

-i'm not really concerned about Tristan though, he seems to play well enough that he's not a liablility whenever he gets in there

o Incorporating Bateman into the passing game/offense:

-Not a major concern but last week wasn't one of Lamar's better games and i think it was because he was actively looking to get Bateman the ball and it disrupted his rhythm and decision making in the passing game. Both interceptions came as a result of targeting Bateman.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

-Not a major concern but last week wasn't one of Lamar's better games and i think it was because he was actively looking to get Bateman the ball and it disrupted his rhythm and decision making in the passing game. Both interceptions came as a result of targeting Bateman.
    You're right, locking on for the first pick definitely wasn't good but luckily it didn't end up costing us. I liked that Lamar wanted to establish a connection with his first round receiver and that Bateman showed good ability to get open. It will likely end up being a good thing that Lamar actively wants to get Bateman involved.

I am 1% worried that the bad drop turned interception on the second pick might mean that Bateman drops out of Lamar's circle of trust, but I think that's very unlikely.

Bengals game concerns-

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    You're right, locking on for the first pick definitely wasn't good but luckily it didn't end up costing us. I liked that Lamar wanted to establish a connection with his first round receiver and that Bateman showed good ability to get open. It will likely end up being a good thing that Lamar actively wants to get Bateman involved.

I am 1% worried that the bad drop turned interception on the second pick might mean that Bateman drops out of Lamar's circle of trust, but I think that's very unlikely.
    We might be splitting hairs here, but I don't agree that Lamar targeting Bateman got him out of rhythm or affected his decision making. His 4 catches all resulted in 1st downs and the offense staying on the field. To me that is the definition of staying in rhythm. The 1st pick was just a poor play by Lamar and he just didn't see the guy standing there. It's a football play and that shit happens sometimes. The second one was a perfect pass from Lamar and a great learning experience for Bateman. I doubt we'll see him let another ball get into his body for quite some time. Lamar didn't have "one of his better games" on the stat sheet for sure. But I thought he had complete and total control of the offense, was efficient, and once again took what the defense was giving them and capitalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    We might be splitting hairs here, but I don't agree that Lamar targeting Bateman got him out of rhythm or affected his decision making. His 4 catches all resulted in 1st downs and the offense staying on the field. To me that is the definition of staying in rhythm. The 1st pick was just a poor play by Lamar and he just didn't see the guy standing there. It's a football play and that shit happens sometimes. The second one was a perfect pass from Lamar and a great learning experience for Bateman. I doubt we'll see him let another ball get into his body for quite some time. Lamar didn't have "one of his better games" on the stat sheet for sure. But I thought he had complete and total control of the offense, was efficient, and once again took what the defense was giving them and capitalized.
    I agree with all of this. The first pick was one bad play in another very good game from Lamar and the second pick was one bad play in a very promising game from Bateman.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Yeah, I think we are splitting hairs.
    It seems like you are using the term rhythm differently. When I said rhythm in my previous post:
    actively looking to get Bateman the ball and it disrupted his rhythm and decision making
    I am referring to rhythm in terms of the QB's drop back footwork being synched up with the WRs routes and getting the ball to the WR from the QB at the top of his drop back - rhythm. The ball should be thrown at the top of a QBs drop or after a reset at the top of the drop. Prior to last week Lamar was doing a much better job getting the ball out in rhythm at the top his drop.
    And to be clear, being out of rhythm isn't necessarily a bad thing...Lamar's phenomenal improvisational plays are out of rhythm.
    But against the Chargers, Lamar got the top of drop and didn't get the ball out more often then previous games.

An example of what I mean as an out of rhythm play is Bateman's catch on a spot route (spacing concept on the right side) after Lamar had pump faked. The ball should be thrown at the top of a QBs drop or after a reset at the top of the drop.

The 1st interception is an example of being out of rhythm and trying to look for Bateman on decision making. Play-action from Pistol, Lamar gets to his drop and hitches 3 times! (one with a heel click yuk) that's out of rhythm; it seemed Lamar had tunnel vision for Bateman and ignored the open checkdown in the flat and didn't see the mid zone defender.

Again, like I said not a major concern but its something I noticed.
    Naturally, everyone (Harbs, Greg, Lamar) wants to see Bateman get the ball.
    They're all finding the right amount balance between letting it happen naturally and forcing the ball.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Defense , pass rush , tackling

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think we are splitting hairs.
    It seems like you are using the term rhythm differently. When I said rhythm in my previous post:
    actively looking to get Bateman the ball and it disrupted his rhythm and decision making
    I am referring to rhythm in terms of the QB's drop back footwork being synched up with the WRs routes and getting the ball to the WR from the QB at the top of his drop back - rhythm. The ball should be thrown at the top of a QBs drop or after a reset at the top of the drop. Prior to last week Lamar was doing a much better job getting the ball out in rhythm at the top his drop.
    And to be clear, being out of rhythm isn't necessarily a bad thing...Lamar's phenomenal improvisational plays are out of rhythm.
    But against the Chargers, Lamar got the top of drop and didn't get the ball out more often then previous games.

An example of what I mean as an out of rhythm play is Bateman's catch on a spot route (spacing concept on the right side) after Lamar had pump faked. The ball should be thrown at the top of a QBs drop or after a reset at the top of the drop.

The 1st interception is an example of being out of rhythm and trying to look for Bateman on decision making. Play-action from Pistol, Lamar gets to his drop and hitches 3 times! (one with a heel click yuk) that's out of rhythm; it seemed Lamar had tunnel vision for Bateman and ignored the open checkdown in the flat and didn't see the mid zone defender.

Again, like I said not a major concern but its something I noticed.
    Naturally, everyone (Harbs, Greg, Lamar) wants to see Bateman get the ball.
    They're all finding the right amount balance between letting it happen naturally and forcing the ball.
    Now this is a major concern for me. Lamar has been out of rhythm for 3 games now; including a bye week. His passing fundamentals are starting to look like last year.

Lamar’s got to be better if *this* team is gonna win and be a threat for the playoffs.

From a coaching perspective I think the QB coach needs to do better. A lot of Lamar’s issues this year and last year fall under the QB coach’s role.

Now this is a major concern for me. Lamar has been out of rhythm for 3 games now; including a bye week. His passing fundamentals are starting to look like last year.

Lamar’s got to be better if *this* team is gonna win and be a threat for the playoffs.

From a coaching perspective I think the QB coach needs to do better. A lot of Lamar’s issues this year and last year fall under the QB coach’s role.
    Sure, the QB coach can point out every fundamental flaw after a loss, but I'm not sure how much weight it holds when Lamar is basically breaking every fundamental rule in those wild come from behind wins. I mean, when the head coach praises Lamar's play making ability after an ill conceived jump pass, how much weight is the QB coach saying "hey we got away with one there, lets get our feet set" going to carry?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yogidriver View Post
    Sure, the QB coach can point out every fundamental flaw after a loss, but I'm not sure how much weight it holds when Lamar is basically breaking every fundamental rule in those wild come from behind wins.

I mean, when the head coach praises Lamar's play making ability after an ill conceived jump pass, how much weight is the QB coach saying "hey we got away with one there, lets get our feet set" going to carry?
    The QB coach's role isn't to point out mistakes after a loss. A QBs coach's role is to identify and correct mistakes before they become problems that contribute to a loss.

It doesn't seem like we're talking about the same thing. I am talking about the depth of QB drop, throwing on time at the top of the drop, taking the proper amount of steps e.g. 2 step, 3 step, 5 step etc and maintaining the proper width of throwing base, taking a proper hitch step (not heel clicking), throwing on target in stride, throwing to the correct WR based on the read, making the correct read, seeing the field well, maintaining poise in the pocket.
    Lamar is usually much better in the above areas of passing fundamentals then he has been recently (about 3 games).

When Lamar is playing at the MVP level he's capable of and that this team needs he's on point with both his passing fundamentals within structure and with the improvisational genius plays.

W̶e̶'̶v̶e̶ ...some of us have watched Lamar's passing fundamentals decline each of the past 2 seasons. Even Lamar's own off-season QB coach mentioned that Lamar's passing fundamentals declined last year. And the past 3 games they are again on decline and that's a concern for me.

When Lamar's passing fundamentals are on point this team is SB caliber and all the other issues don't matter as much.
    When Lamar passing fundamentals aren't sharp well.......

Blog Entries

The QB coach's role isn't to point out mistakes after a loss. A QBs coach's role is to identify and correct mistakes before they become problems that contribute to a loss.

It doesn't seem like we're talking about the same thing. I am talking about the depth of QB drop, throwing on time at the top of the drop, taking the proper amount of steps e.g. 2 step, 3 step, 5 step etc and maintaining the proper width of throwing base, taking a proper hitch step (not heel clicking), throwing on target in stride, throwing to the correct WR based on the read, making the correct read, seeing the field well, maintaining poise in the pocket.
    Lamar is usually much better in the above areas of passing fundamentals then he has been recently (about 3 games).

When Lamar is playing at the MVP level he's capable of and that this team needs he's on point with both his passing fundamentals within structure and with the improvisational genius plays.

W̶e̶'̶v̶e̶ ...some of us have watched Lamar's passing fundamentals decline each of the past 2 seasons. Even Lamar's own off-season QB coach mentioned that Lamar's passing fundamentals declined last year. And the past 3 games they are again on decline and that's a concern for me.

When Lamar's passing fundamentals are on point this team is SB caliber and all the other issues don't matter as much.
    When Lamar passing fundamentals aren't sharp well.......
    Lamar’s rhythm passing fundamentals are out of whack right now. They are very few well executed passing plays within structure.
    It’s virtually all adlib and improvisation.
    Lamar’s lack of disciplined drop back execution are poor right now.
    But against the Browns Lamar made enough individually brilliant off-schedule plays to overcome the lack of execution otherwise.
    But an offense can’t sustain winning football without being able to execute the passing within structure.

Lamar’s rhythm passing fundamentals are out of whack right now. They are very few well executed passing plays within structure.
    It’s virtually all adlib and improvisation.
    Lamar’s lack of disciplined drop back execution are poor right now.
    But against the Browns Lamar made enough individually brilliant off-schedule plays to overcome the lack of execution otherwise.
    But an offense can’t sustain winning football without being able to execute the passing within structure.
    I cant even remember the last time he threw truly overhand.

I know much of it is his utter lack of confidence in the Porous line, but I think he enjoys the “flair” and panache the sidearm throw gives him. I’m a bit concerned that he is focused on style points a smidgen which is more than the none he should be..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk