Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Concerns for 2021 Season

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I cant even remember the last time he threw truly overhand.

I know much of it is his utter lack of confidence in the Porous line, but I think he enjoys the “flair” and panache the sidearm throw gives him. I’m a bit concerned that he is focused on style points a smidgen which is more than the none he should be..
    Yeah, Lamar definitely likes to sidearm sling it.

I’m all for QB having the ability to throw from different arm angles. Being able to evade and throwing around a rusher is sometimes the only way to make a throw. But, the passing game is still about the ability to throw with rhythm and timing.

Like you said, Lamar seems to throw more sidearm then any other way. He’s seems to be playing all adlib.

Defenses are conceding the intermediate outside the numbers passes. But, I don’t see how he’ll be able complete the deep out routes or sideline comebacks they concede by throwing it sidearm. Throwing it sidearm limits so much of the field available and its usually disconnected from the footwork, which makes throwing outside the number from inside the pocket really difficult. I don’t know whether the desire to throw sidearm causes the sloppy footwork or vice versus…but they’re both problems that are preventing Lamar from playing his best. But if Lamar would just execute with the proper timing using the correct drop back footwork he would mitigate the pass rush or OL because he would be throwing the ball before the pressure gets home.

Lamar’s throwing fundamentals have deteriorated 2 years in a row now. He’s capable of passing the ball at a much higher level and when/if he does pull it together this year….then the playoff run begins.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Yeah, Lamar definitely likes to sidearm sling it.

I’m all for QB having the ability to throw from different arm angles. Being able to evade and throwing around a rusher is sometimes the only way to make a throw. But, the passing game is still about the ability to throw with rhythm and timing.

Like you said, Lamar seems to throw more sidearm then any other way. He’s seems to be playing all adlib.

Defenses are conceding the intermediate outside the numbers passes. But, I don’t see how he’ll be able complete the deep out routes or sideline comebacks they concede by throwing it sidearm. Throwing it sidearm limits so much of the field available and its usually disconnected from the footwork, which makes throwing outside the number from inside the pocket really difficult. I don’t know whether the desire to throw sidearm causes the sloppy footwork or vice versus…but they’re both problems that are preventing Lamar from playing his best. But if Lamar would just execute with the proper timing using the correct drop back footwork he would mitigate the pass rush or OL because he would be throwing the ball before the pressure gets home.

Lamar’s throwing fundamentals have deteriorated 2 years in a row now. He’s capable of passing the ball at a much higher level and when/if he does pull it together this year….then the playoff run begins.
    Last year was a big drop off in footwork, this year the big drop off is his arm angle superhero obsession.
    He needs Gus, JK, Ronnie and others back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree generally with ed that his fundamentals have slipped in some ways the past two seasons.

However, on one key third down he did throw overhand to a wide open Duvernay on the sideline (that would've been a big first down at minimum) but Garrett knocked it down. Id argue this is why he drops down so much.

How bout him threading the needle to Hollywood for that crucial 3rd down conversion on that rpo? Overhand wouldn't have got that done imo.

I just don't see his arm angle as regression in mechanics so much as adaptation to bodies and limbs in his face on many of his throws.

Id argue his arm angle hasn't led to turnovers. I'd attribute that more to just fundamentally bad reads when he actually has ample time and space (ats)- to borrow Ken McKusick's useful term.
    Last edited by Jam31; 12-04-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries

very interested to see how Lamar performs coming off his worse game...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Based on how he’s been playing lately, I wouldn’t bet on him snapping out of it because his mechanics are a hot mess right now.

But I think he’ll bounce back and have a big game based purely on *faith* in Lamar.

12 games in and the O is not clicking.

If Humphrey is done for the season I'm genuinely concerned about a late season collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Answer - not great aside from one drive!

He doesn't throw in rhythm anymore - he did this basically all of 2020 aside from the first Browns game. Lamar had gotten back to good footwork and good rhythm for the first five weeks of 2021 but after the Colts masterpiece it has all fallen apart again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Answer - not great aside from one drive!

He doesn't throw in rhythm anymore - he did this basically all of 2020 aside from the first Browns game. Lamar had gotten back to good footwork and good rhythm for the first five weeks of 2021 but after the Colts masterpiece it has all fallen apart again.
    If only there was someone on the staff whose main responsibility is coaching QBs……

I’m not absolving Lamar from responsibility.
    But this is 2 years in a row his passing fundamentals have regressed and his best season where his mechanics stayed in tact was when he worked with his off-season QB coach.

Either Urban is coaching this version of Lamar or he’s allowing it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    If only there was someone on the staff whose main responsibility is coaching QBs……

I’m not absolving Lamar from responsibility.
    But this is 2 years in a row his passing fundamentals have regressed and his best season where his mechanics stayed in tact was when he worked with his off-season QB coach.

Either Urban is coaching this version of Lamar or he’s allowing it to happen.
    Was either foot even on the ground during that early pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    If Humphrey is done for the season I'm genuinely concerned about a late season collapse.
    If the Ravens beat the Browns (likely, unless Stefanski and Woods grow a brain), Bengals in the rematch at Riverfront, and they can beat PIT at home (even on the road, a close 1-point loss is nothing to be ashamed of), they still probably will win the division. The Bengals/Steelers/Browns/other AFC flotsam will then fight over 3 WC spots lol...

12. Re: Concerns for 2021 Season

Quote Originally Posted by jecht View Post
    If the Ravens beat the Browns (likely, unless Stefanski and Woods grow a brain), Bengals in the rematch at Riverfront, and they can beat PIT at home (even on the road, a close 1-point loss is nothing to be ashamed of), they still probably will win the division. The Bengals/Steelers/Browns/other AFC flotsam will then fight over 3 WC spots lol...
    Though I am predicting the Ravens sweep the Browns this season and take the revenge game against Pitt back at home, I don't see this ailing squad - especially given all of its offensive woes this month - beating the Bengals, especially up in the Jungle.