Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Concerns for 2021 Season

The roster is more or less settled barring a surprise move from EDC.
    This team is poised for a SB run if everything breaks the right way.

I'm curious what are your concerns for this season?

Mine are:

o Will Alejandro play better then he's looked thus far an settle into a good RT?

I think the OL could be solid. Stanley is an all-pro when healthy. The interior looks solid right now w/ Bozeman and Zeitler....there are some questions at LG but I think between the Bens and Phillips it won't be a liability. Then there's Alejandro. If he's good then we have a good line. If he's not then what do we do? I think Phillips could be the answer but he gets moved around so much that he can't master one spot. And the depth at OT right now is just him and Mekari?

o Age and depth along the DL -

We have Madubuike that looks like a potential young star as penetrator and Washington coming on as a stout run stopper type.
    We have some studs on along the DL in Campbell, Williams and Wolfe but those guys are old. There was point last season where it seemed like Wolfe was a 1-man DL.

o The development of the passing game outside the numbers and vs 1 on 1 man to man coverage-

Harbs and Roman identified this as an area of improvement after the 2019 season 2 years ago. But last year it got worse. Imho, the development of this area of the passing game is the key to the future of this offense and team. If the passing game can produce in these areas this is a SB team. But there's pass protection questions. There's WR questions. And there's chemistry questions heading into the season.

o Greg's/Urban ability to make adjustments to new defensive strategies -

This is closely related to question above. The 2 main defensive coverages that i think Roman needs to solve are Cover 4 w/ Safeties sniffing around the box and Cover 3 nickel as base defense. To lesser extent there's pressure packages to solve also specifically Cover 0 and nickel blitz where the passing game has gotta pick up the blitz better or beat the blitz with quick passes. Will Roman/Urban have enough answers to handle these issues?

"Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

2. Re: Concerns for 2021 Season

It might be misplaced - and certainly there have been several arguments made about us being "just fine" - but I'm just going to say it: I'm worried about not having Dobbins as a weapon this year. I think he makes Gus better and, without that contrast in styles, defenses have one less thing to worry about. Granted, with Lamar in the option, they still have a TON on their plates, but life is a little easier for DCoordinators and DEnds without Dobbins in the backfield. =(

Blog Entries

Re: Concerns for 2021 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    It might be misplaced - and certainly there have been several arguments made about us being "just fine" - but I'm just going to say it: I'm worried about not having Dobbins as a weapon this year. I think he makes Gus better and, without that contrast in styles, defenses have one less thing to worry about. Granted, with Lamar in the option, they still have a TON on their plates, but life is a little easier for DCoordinators and DEnds without Dobbins in the backfield. =(
    Specific to Gus his stats last year were virtually identical to the previous two years without Dobbins. I get people being concerned about not having Dobbins even if I don't share that same concern, but I don't know there is any evidence to suggest Gus won't be his usual self regardless of who else in the RB room.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Specific to Gus his stats last year were virtually identical to the previous two years without Dobbins. I get people being concerned about not having Dobbins even if I don't share that same concern, but I don't know there is any evidence to suggest Gus won't be his usual self regardless of who else in the RB room.
    they had Ingram then. I just think they need to keep his carries about the same and not try to make him the bell cow but there may not be a choice. That's why I see them adding another guy

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    My concern is that with Dobbins, I felt this team would have been much harder to defend, imo. He added another layer to the offense that Gus doesn't.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

I really like Gus. Between Gus, Hill and Williams and i don't expect the run game to miss a beat and if Roman wants to run outside more I still think Williams and Hill still provide the outside and speed element.

And if Roman/Lamar want to pass the ball to the backs more I think between Gus, Hill and Williams they can give the offense what people expected JK to provide. I think Gus is a better pass catcher then he gets credit for, he had 2 of the best catches that I saw from a RB last year.

Last edited by edromeo; 09-03-2021 at 01:48 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Oline is still a big ? To me. I hope they’re not done building. AV is a concern and left guard still unclear.

Think they need to add another RB and they likely will.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Oline is still a big ? To me. I hope they’re not done building. AV is a concern and left guard still unclear.

Think they need to add another RB and they likely will.

smh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    The roster is more or less settled barring a surprise move from EDC.
    This team is poised for a SB run if everything breaks the right way.

I'm curious what are your concerns for this season?

Mine are:

o Will Alejandro play better then he's looked thus far an settle into a good RT?

I think the OL could be solid. Stanley is an all-pro when healthy. The interior looks solid right now w/ Bozeman and Zeitler....there are some questions at LG but I think between the Bens and Phillips it won't be a liability. Then there's Alejandro. If he's good then we have a good line. If he's not then what do we do? I think Phillips could be the answer but he gets moved around so much that he can't master one spot. And the depth at OT right now is just him and Mekari?

o Age and depth along the DL -

We have Madubuike that looks like a potential young star as penetrator and Washington coming on as a stout run stopper type.
    We have some studs on along the DL in Campbell, Williams and Wolfe but those guys are old. There was point last season where it seemed like Wolfe was a 1-man DL.

o The development of the passing game outside the numbers and vs 1 on 1 man to man coverage-

Harbs and Roman identified this as an area of improvement after the 2019 season 2 years ago. But last year it got worse. Imho, the development of this area of the passing game is the key to the future of this offense and team. If the passing game can produce in these areas this is a SB team. But there's pass protection questions. There's WR questions. And there's chemistry questions heading into the season.

o Greg's/Urban ability to make adjustments to new defensive strategies -

This is closely related to question above. The 2 main defensive coverages that i think Roman needs to solve are Cover 4 w/ Safeties sniffing around the box and Cover 3 nickel as base defense. To lesser extent there's pressure packages to solve also specifically Cover 0 and nickel blitz where the passing game has gotta pick up the blitz better or beat the blitz with quick passes. Will Roman/Urban have enough answers to handle these issues?

I think the OLINE will be vastly improved over last year. I think the longer they play together the more cohesive the unit will be. Seemed there wasn't much time in pre-season with all the alleged starters playing together for my liking.

DLINE, I didn't see the decline on the line you did, though Wolfe is younger and if Madubuike becomes what I think he will add in pressure if Oweh turns into a beast, they will be fine on the line.

My BIGGEST problem as is many with Lamar is his passing on the outside. Not sure what it is but throwing to the sidelines is not in his comfort zone. It will have to be if they are to win a Super Bowl. WR doesn't concern me as much as that missing element of his game. If defenders know that a QB is uncomfortable not throwing to any part of the field, they will stack up where the QB's game is strongest. My hope is that Lamar keeps progressing and this will be an afterthought.

I agree, Roman goes to the well too often with what is obviously not working. He needs to take a class, hell Harbs too from Joe Gibbs on halftime adjustments. JK going down really hurts the screen pass I was hoping to see more off this season.

I'm worried that the Ravens' major prioritization of secondary over pass rush will hurt us again in the playoffs. Since we don't generate consistent pressure, much less get sacks with our front 3 or 4, we end up having to blitz, and rolling the dice. So our DBs have to go with safety help far more often.

Unless Oweh is a stud this year, I'm not sure how that changes. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    I'm worried that the Ravens' major prioritization of secondary over pass rush will hurt us again in the playoffs. Since we don't generate consistent pressure, much less get sacks with our front 3 or 4, we end up having to blitz, and rolling the dice. So our DBs have to go with safety help far more often.

Unless Oweh is a stud this year, I'm not sure how that changes. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
    Dude, Houston is a beast. I think we will have a better pass rush this year without Judon.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Dude, Houston is a beast. I think we will have a better pass rush this year without Judon.
    I hope so. But his sacks went from 11 in 2019 to 8 in 2020. QB hits went from 18 to 12. He looks like he's tailing off at 32.