Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: When will it end?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

Maybe we have a different definition of "intertwined"
    Regardless of what we define intertwined as, the point is that social issues being brought to the forefront in sports has happened since basically the beginning of time. It's always been a thing, it'll always be a thing. Everybody has always said that team sports are a microcosm of society. It's basically a cliche at this point. Idk why it surprises people when activism takes place in sports. It happened in Ancient Rome all the way down the line to now. Activism will never ever leave sports.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Maybe we have a different definition of "intertwined"
    Like that time in Gladiator, when like Commodus like stabbed Maxiums and you thought he was gonna die but then like Maximus stabbed Commodus as payback for killing his family and stuff and making him a slave....

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Regardless of what we define intertwined as, the point is that social issues being brought to the forefront in sports has happened since basically the beginning of time. It's always been a thing, it'll always be a thing. Everybody has always said that team sports are a microcosm of society. It's basically a cliche at this point. Idk why it surprises people when activism takes place in sports. It happened in Ancient Rome all the way down the line to now. Activism will never ever leave sports.

The thing is the people have a platform for these issues to be seen. It just makes people uncomfortable because they only want them to shut up and play. But them doing these things brings light to subjects that normally would not be talked about

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    The thing is the people have a platform for these issues to be seen. It just makes people uncomfortable because they only want them to shut up and play. But them doing these things brings light to subjects that normally would not be talked about

Yup, that's exactly the point I'm making. Since we know that team sports mirror society, we also know that society isn't all roses and daisies. While we fully appreciate when team sports showcase the best traits in us, wanting to turn an blind eye when sports has to showcase some of the terrible underbellies in society is doing a disservice to yourself. We all love and appreciate the moments when a LeBron James can build a school, or a J.J. Watt can raise millions for disaster, or a Bills mafia comes together for a great cause, but on the other side of that, it must be acknowledged that sports and society has always come out better on the other side of uncomfortable conversations that sports brings to the forefront.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post

Exactly.

What would you do if your server at dinner tonight started talking to you about abortion and the Texas law etc?

Wouldn't you just prefer to eat and talk to your family and they shut up and serve your food?

Exactly.

What would you do if your server at dinner tonight started talking to you about abortion and the Texas law etc?

Wouldn't you just prefer to eat and talk to your family and they shut up and serve your food?
    I'm sure you don't bother and ask your waiters for their autograph either. Maybe athletes want fans to shut up and sit down, never boo them, never ask for pictures, never ask for autographs

Blog Entries

I'm sure you don't bother and ask your waiters for their autograph either. Maybe athletes want fans to shut up and sit down, never boo them, never ask for pictures, never ask for autographs

I don't really get what this has anything to do with my point.

Exactly.

I actually talk to my server as they are people too I learn about then and develop a rapport with them. And I would give my opinion of asked I have no problem debating

Tell you what, when i ask an athlete for an autograph or selfie, then they can opine about their cause du jour

Good points

I don't really get what this has anything to do with my point.
    Because you should just shut up and watch the game and not ask for or boo or cheer just watch. You treat them as property for your entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Tell you what, when i ask an athlete for an autograph or selfie, then they can opine about their cause du jour
    And it's not just about you then all people should have that same thought process you have because they are asking for autographs and selfies all the time