Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Preston is dead-on right

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...mostviewedlink

Basically saying what most fans have been saying for years. 4 preseason games are way too much and it should be only 2 with an 18 game regular season. I have to agree with the fat man here. The games are way too boring once the starters leave, and the risk of injuries is ridiculous for the amount of money these guys make to be hurt in a meaningless game. Remember when Vick was hurt in that preseason game against us? It completely ruined the Falcons' season. I think they finished 5-11.

What do you all think about an 18 game regular season with only 2 preseason games? I wouldn't even mind if they still started the regular season in mid-September and just extend the regular season into January. You could have the Super Bowl in mid-February. At least it would bring some excitement into that horrible sports time between the SB and March Madness.

Re: Preston is dead-on right

I go back and forth on 2-3 games. I'm no sure 2 games is enough but 3 should be tops. 18 game season? That may be pushing it.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Blog Entries

2 games isn't enough to give a young UDFA or draft pick a chance to win a roster spot or a starting job. 3 should do it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Don't charge me regular season prices, that I have to buy, for much less than regular season play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513
    I go back and forth on 2-3 games. I'm no sure 2 games is enough but 3 should be tops. 18 game season? That may be pushing it.
    I think it would have to be 2. According to the article, the league bases all of its budgets and revenues on a 20-game season, so if you had 3 you would have a 17 game regular season. This would create an uneven balance between home and away games for both preseason and regular season.

The other end of that arguement is this though. If preseason was over and the Vikings game was the start of the regular season, then these teams that have lost players due to injury won't have them back for the start of the season. What if Jamal was being shut down for 2 more weeks and it's not pre-season?

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    The other end of that arguement is this though. If preseason was over and the Vikings game was the start of the regular season, then these teams that have lost players due to injury won't have them back for the start of the season. What if Jamal was being shut down for 2 more weeks and it's not pre-season?
    He probably would have never seen the field in preseason then. Didn't he say it was something that was nagging at him all along in TC but he wanted to get his reps in for the first 2 games?

If you go with an 18 game season the 2 Super Bowl teams wont have any starters left.

Everything is fine the way it is. This kind of talk always comes up this time of year. Mostly because fans are sick of preseason and just want the season to start.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by bassgtrst
    If you go with an 18 game season the 2 Super Bowl teams wont have any starters left.

Everything is fine the way it is. This kind of talk always comes up this time of year. Mostly because fans are sick of preseason and just want the season to start.
    I don't mind the 4 games per say....I just hate getting charge full-game price for preseason games. It wasn't like that in the old days.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

I don't agree with extending the regular season for the same reason that I don't want anymore expansion, the current formula works perfectly with regards the divisional structure and how schedules are worked out, I like being able to know who my team is playing next year simply as I can now. Plus adding more regular season games gives more opportunity for players to get injured and diminishes the value of each game with those two extra to make up the pace.

I think taking one game off of pre-season may be a way forward, but the teams and the NFL will never go for it because in spite of how low some attendances may be for some teams in pre-season, they still bring in lots of money and it's money teams wouldn't want to give up.

There is no solution everone can agree on I don't think and it's just the same discussion we have every pre-season around this time when the initial excitement of the pre-season starting has worn off and people realising that there is still over a fortnight to go before the season proper starts. By the team pre-season's over this topic is forgotten by most and if some don't, there's the season proper gone on and the decision makers can just sweep it under the rug. This discussion will just go on ad infinitum unless the NFL do the unthinkable and for some reason decide to add a 33rd team to the NFL completely blowing the balance they currently have.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I don't mind the 4 games per say....I just hate getting charge full-game price for preseason games. It wasn't like that in the old days.
    My dad was a Colts season ticket holder and it was that way in the 70s.

If they cut the pre-season ticket cost they will just raise the regular season tickets.

I didn't read Preston's column but it's probably the same column that sportswriters put out there every year at this time. I prefer a 16 game schedule to an 18 game season -- 18 games would result in more injuries to starters than what we have now.

There's no doubt that the fans get raped with the regular season prices for the preseason games, but extending the regular season is not the answer to that problem.