Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Sign WR, Release Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    First let me say that I don't see these forums as "my world". I actually see it as a community that is driven primarily by all of you and when I can, I try to contribute in a way that adds to the conversation given my connections to the team.

I hear you on Miles and James. I lean towards rewarding production, not promise. Proche is working hard to refine his game and the results have been there, at least in camp. I've seen him catch balls on Jimmy and Peters. I can't recall a matchup with Humphrey but that doesn't mean that 44 didn't have him blanketed and therefore the ball wasn't thrown his way, diverting my attention.

Strange thing about Miles this camp, is that in past camps he was one of the regular standouts. I even had conversations with regular observers who said that in practice the guy looks like AJ Green. It just never translated to the field on Sundays in the Fall. Candidly speaking, Cain has done more this camp than Miles and as mentioned earlier but is worthy of repeating, he's beaten Humphrey on consecutive days on long passes down the sideline.

At the end of the day the coaches and personnel people will make the right choices for the team. But I'd hate to see them lose a really good football player to a guy who is tall and has good straight-line speed but struggles with drops and can't get on the same page as his quarterback.
    Same here, I think the Ravens are one of the smartest front offices in the league. I fall on the football analytics side of things and I love that the Ravens factor that in more then many teams. For example, factoring in pressures as a key measure for pass rush led to them favoring Oweh higher then most. I trust whichever choice they make.

I recall reading about Boykin during his rookie camp and came out and watched practice a few times. Hopefully he can come back and do the same.

Cain was a real player coming out of Clemson, rooting for him too. (plus love the name)

I like Proche, great hands.....we kinda disagree on Boykin's skillset but either way I hope both make it. On the drops side, i know its the common perception that Boykin struggles with drops but he had a lower drop percentage then Hollywood, he actually had the lowest drop rate of the WRs. In the targets Miles had he wasn't bad:

YPC:
    #5: 13.3
    #80: 14

Drop %
    #5: 6%
    #80: 3%

QB rating when targeted:
    #5: 93
    #80: 111

True catch rate:
    #5: 82%
    #80: 86%

Catch rate:
    #5: 58%
    #80: 57.6%

TD %:
    #5: 14% - 8 TDs - 58 rec
    #80: 21% - 4 TDs- 19 rec

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/marquise-brown/
    https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/miles-boykin/

I hear you on not being on the same page. Not having chemistry with QB is hard obstacle to overcome. That alone makes Boykin's path tough. Imho, Miles was absolutely crazy not to work w/ Lamar during the offseason. (from what I read he wasn't there)
    Lamar missing camp early was a blessing in disguise for Miles. But, if he's not on the field when Lamar gets back that not good for him.

I root for Miles like I root for all the Ravens players and hope both he and Proche make the squad.
    This year's WR decisions are a much better problems to have WR then previous seasons.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my previous post.

Can, I ask a favor....hope i'm not pushing my luck but what do you think of Ar'Darius Washington thus far? Also the TEs thus far? Do Eli Wolf and Poljan have any chance? Any chance they keep 4 TEs? I'm assuming that Oliver is gonna make the squad unless he can't block....he's looked like a capable receiving/Hayden Hurst type TE to me.
    Last edited by edromeo; 08-04-2021 at 04:39 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it,"

What about starting to transition Boykin to TE, aiming at next year?

3. Re: Ravens Sign WR, Release Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Tony, I agree. Boykin hasn't been a success story, but I don't see him as an abject failure either.
    While I see him in the lower end of the depth chart, he has caught 32 of 55 passes (58%) for 464 yards (14.5 YPC) and 7 TDs. He's known for his blocking as well. I'm not trying to buoy him up, just don't think he (in his 3rd season as a Raven) should be outright released. Seems, as he is currently injured and has fallen behind Proche, that IR is appropriate... Bc
    I think they keep Boykin but maybe not. He's the only tall WR that isn't a TE that the Ravens have. Maybe the Ravens want one of those. Big target. Boykin is also a good blocker, important on a run-first team.

4. Re: Ravens Sign WR, Release Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by gretzky_scores View Post
    What about starting to transition Boykin to TE, aiming at next year?
    How about starting to transition Mark Andrews to WR?

Developing a system that makes every position smaller is a bad plan.

I'll take the OL and make him TE and take the TE and make him WR instead of the other way around.

Can, I ask a favor....hope i'm not pushing my luck but what do you think of Ar'Darius Washington thus far? Also the TEs thus far? Do Eli Wolf and Poljan have any chance? Any chance they keep 4 TEs? I'm assuming that Oliver is gonna make the squad unless he can't block....he's looked like a capable receiving/Hayden Hurst type TE to me.
    Washington has flashed as a blitzer and competes well around the line of scrimmage. I think his limited speed and length makes it challenging for him to make plays on the back end until he masters the scheme. He has good instincts and football IQ. If given the time he could be a contributor next season. I'm guessing he's a PS candidate.

I'm not a big fan of either Wolf or Poljan. Wolf has had a good camp and he's competing well. Poljan doesn't move all that well. But to me they're both JAGs. Oliver has looked good at times, disappears sometimes. I've only focused on his blocking during a few plays but each time he did well. He handled Oweh a lot better than Al Villanueva has.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

I don't see Proche as a "slot only WR". He's been effective on the boundary as well and he's not just going up against "3rd/4th team defenders". The Ravens have done a nice job of allowing the guys down the depth chart compete against the starters. During the past couple of days Cain has hauled in some long passes along the sideline, both against Humphrey.

My issue with Boykin is that he struggles to gain separation. He's a long strider and DB's seem to read him pretty well
    Well said, Tony. Proche has shown he can line up wherever he'd needed, then get open against the DB lined up against him, then catch the ball if it's anywhere near him. I've got to believe there's a place for him.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Another point on why I like Proche (in addition to his being from a TX school): Julian Edelman. Even if Proche is "only" a slot receiver, a slot receiver can be an awesome weapon. And the Ravens seem to value them. Remember how mush patience we had with Campanaro?
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Another point on why I like Proche (in addition to his being from a TX school): Julian Edelman. Even if Proche is "only" a slot receiver, a slot receiver can be an awesome weapon. And the Ravens seem to value them. Remember how mush patience we had with Campanaro?
    All too well.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

Washington has flashed as a blitzer and competes well around the line of scrimmage. I think his limited speed and length makes it challenging for him to make plays on the back end until he masters the scheme. He has good instincts and football IQ. If given the time he could be a contributor next season. I'm guessing he's a PS candidate.

I'm not a big fan of either Wolf or Poljan. Wolf has had a good camp and he's competing well. Poljan doesn't move all that well. But to me they're both JAGs. Oliver has looked good at times, disappears sometimes. I've only focused on his blocking during a few plays but each time he did well. He handled Oweh a lot better than Al Villanueva has.
    Thanks again TL, look forward to the next camp report.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it,"

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    So they guy Tony said was more threatening than Ferguson in camp so far this is gone. That doesn’t bode well for ‘sack daddy’
    It doesn't bode well for Rivers. End of.
    The angles you guys take sometimes to get at your pet hate are something else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    It's spelled "CampanIRo" ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    It's spelled "CampanIRo" ... Bc