More Training Camp Notes After Day 6

The competition for the Ravens backup quarterback position has been close but through six days of practices, I’d give a slight edge to Trace McSorley. Neither the former Nittany Lion nor Tyler Huntley has set the world on fire but in their defense, the team’s top receivers have not consistently been at their disposal, plus the offensive line has performed poorly up to now.

McSorley is a battler and carries a bit of that veteran moxie despite his limited resume. I could easily see him being a backup in the league for many years due to his workmanlike approach to the game, grittiness and instincts. The reps and experience Trace has received in Lamar Jackson’s absence, will prove to be valuable in his development. but given his average arm strength and below average stature (6’0”), he’s a spot starter at best.

Huntley is slightly taller at 6’1”, has a much better fastball and his mobility is superior to McSorley’s. It isn’t hard to draw comparisons to Lamar, particularly when he utilizes his legs to escape trouble or while directing the team’s RPO run game. His innate tools are simply better than McSorley’s and I could easily see him putting together a career similar to Tyrod Taylor’s.

One last thought on this QB battle. Coordinators like to have backups that can run the team’s offense without much alteration to scheme or game planning. And in this regard, Huntley is the better fit and my pick as the Ravens relief pitcher despite McSorley’s slight edge at the moment.

The O-Line

The offensive line has struggled as a unit. There are just so many moving parts and it may take more time than normal for the starters to gel. Ronnie Stanley might not show up at all during camp. The left guard spot is a revolving door of candidates for the moment and Alejandro Villanueva is trying to settle into a new position at right tackle. And let’s not forget that Bradley Bozeman is manning the controls at center for the very first time as a pro. The potential for a much improved line is there but there’s a lot of work to be done.

Tyre Phillips looks better than he did in 2020 and he has some versatility. Patrick Mekari has played all positions across the offensive front and that is an attractive trait for a reserve. Ben Powers and Ben Bredeson are average players who struggle at times in pass pro and the young UDFA tackles, Adrian Ealy and Foster Sarell are developmental players destined for the practice squad.

By the time the Ravens lace them up for opening night in Las Vegas, I expect the starting O-line from left to right to be: Stanley-Cleveland-Bozeman-Zeitler-Villanueva. But given Stanley’s history of injuries, at the top of Eric DeCosta’s wish list has to be a swing tackle. Andre Smith is NOT that guy.

Edge

Heading into camp one of the biggest concerns that many observers had with the Ravens roster was how they’ll account for the losses of Matt Judon and Yannick Ngakoue. Earlier I opined about those losses not being as dramatic as many perceive. I maintain that position, particularly after observing Tyus Bowser, Odafe Oweh and Daelin Hayes during practice. I will however temper my enthusiasm for the time being, because each has feasted on offensive tackle play that has been substandard – for now. Adding Justin Houston helps and with the play from the interior defensive line so far this summer, specifically Justin Madubuike and Calais Campbell, I’m not at all concerned about how the Ravens will replace the 9 sacks that Judon and Ngakoue left behind. But I don’t think that a significant contributor will be Jaylon Ferguson.

Coaches lauded the third-year player from Louisiana Tech this offseason and publicly expressed confidence in Ferguson. But so far, the alleged confidence has yet to manifest itself in practice. Ferguson has been outplayed by rookies Oweh and Hayes. Even Chauncey Rivers has been more threatening to quarterbacks in camp. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t expect much more from Jaylon than what he’s provided in the past for the Ravens.

Wide Receiver

It has been an annual tradition for fans to fret over the team’s talent (or lack thereof) at wide receiver. Now, they have plenty. When the Ravens roll out Marquise Brown, Sammy Watkins and Rashod Bateman on opening day, this collection of pass catchers will potentially be the best three the team has fielded at one time – with one qualifier. They must stay healthy.

Behind these three are Devin Duvernay, James Proche, Tylan Wallace and Miles Boykin. Duvernay has had a solid camp and Wallace has come on as of late. Most believe that the Ravens will carry just six receivers on their final 53-man roster and that final spot comes down to Proche v. Boykin. If true, it’s no contest. Proche has been one of the summer’s bright spots while Boykin, normally a very good practice player (there have been comparisons to AJ Green – I kid you not), has struggled during camp and now he’s on the sidelines with a hamstring issue.

Boykin’s blocking skills are highly touted but that doesn’t mean that Proche is unable to block. He’s a more instinctive player than Boykin by far and there’s no reason that he can’t refine his abilities as a blocker with commitment to technique and a willingness to be a downfield asset to the running game. Just two thoughts for those supporting the blocking wide receiver. First, if blocking is a WR’s best trait, then he’s really not a wide RECEIVER. Two, how will Boykin support the run game when he’s fifth or sixth on the depth chart?

Can Boykin’s two special teams tackles in 2020 save him in 2021?

CLICK HERE for more notes on JK Dobbins and a corner flying under the radar who's performing well!
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: More Training Camp Notes After Day 6

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Boykin’s blocking skills are highly touted but that doesn’t mean that Proche is unable to block. He’s a more instinctive player than Boykin by far and there’s no reason that he can’t refine his abilities as a blocker with commitment to technique and a willingness to be a downfield asset to the running game. Just two thoughts for those supporting the blocking wide receiver. First, if blocking is a WR’s best trait, then he’s really not a wide RECEIVER. Two, how will Boykin support the run game when he’s fifth or sixth on the depth chart?

Can Boykin’s two special teams tackles in 2020 save him in 2021?

CLICK HERE for more notes on JK Dobbins and a corner flying under the radar who's performing well!
    I have been saying this for a long time, like blocking is the #1 trait for a WR?

This is one of the times where I get to say I was right. I was never high on Jaylon Ferguson as a draft pick and I thought he was a poor fit for the Ravens. He should be a 4-3 DE in a different, more traditional defensive scheme. Just not versatile enough.

We went through the hype phase, and now it doesn't look like Jaylon will be afforded the opportunity to be a ZaDarius Smith / Paul Kruger type because he won't get the snaps while buried on the depth chart.

But, it's more a problem for him than for the Ravens at this point. Provided health, they won't have to rely on him. Similar to Boykin.

Blog Entries

when does Justin Houston report?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

5. Re: More Training Camp Notes After Day 6

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    This is one of the times where I get to say I was right. I was never high on Jaylon Ferguson as a draft pick and I thought he was a poor fit for the Ravens. He should be a 4-3 DE in a different, more traditional defensive scheme. Just not versatile enough.

We went through the hype phase, and now it doesn't look like Jaylon will be afforded the opportunity to be a ZaDarius Smith / Paul Kruger type because he won't get the snaps while buried on the depth chart.

But, it's more a problem for him than for the Ravens at this point. Provided health, they won't have to rely on him. Similar to Boykin.
    I'm not even sure he'd cut it as a 43 End. From what I'm hearing he just doesn't have a pass rush arsenal. It's bull rush, a little movement, but there is nothing else the lineman has to deal with. So if he doesn't win with the bull rush, that's it. Sounds like he's doing a good job setting the edge but he leaves a lot to be desired as a rusher and complete player.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    when does Justin Houston report?
    Friday, I think.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco