Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crabs and the Ravens

It's a tradition. We love to eat hard shells while watching the Ravens. I'm not from Maryland but close enough here in South Central Pa. to have been exposed to that wonderful tradition. But...why can't I get x-Large or Jumbo's anymore? Looked everywhere. Weren't the big ones a lot more available back in the day or am I just 'misremembering'?

Wife and I even drove down to Commander something or other's (can't remember the name) last summer just outside of Baltimore...figuring we'd surely get some big ones. Nope. But we did see Keith Mills and a lady friend eating crabs two tables away so there was that.

And another thing - how can one place's crab cakes be The Best when the ingredients are pretty much the same everywhere?...Crab, OB, Mayo, Bread Crumbs, Worcestershire. Willing to be "learnt".

Re: Crabs and the Ravens

The blue crab shipment from Thailand is coming in late this year...nah idk lol

Blog Entries

The oceans are getting warmer which increases the growth of algae. That decreases the available food for crabs, clams and muscles. They're are less and prices are going up, up, up.

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    It's a tradition. We love to eat hard shells while watching the Ravens. I'm not from Maryland but close enough here in South Central Pa. to have been exposed to that wonderful tradition. But...why can't I get x-Large or Jumbo's anymore? Looked everywhere. Weren't the big ones a lot more available back in the day or am I just 'misremembering'?
    same where about in central pa are you?
    Wife and I even drove down to Commander something or other's (can't remember the name) last summer just outside of Baltimore...figuring we'd surely get some big ones. Nope. But we did see Keith Mills and a lady friend eating crabs two tables away so there was that.

And another thing - how can one place's crab cakes be The Best when the ingredients are pretty much the same everywhere?...Crab, OB, Mayo, Bread Crumbs, Worcestershire. Willing to be "learnt".

same here where about south centeral pa are you at?

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post

Well, one is the crab that is used. Due to the cost, a lot of places use/mix in blue swimming crab meat, which is imported, and isn't all that great.

It’s best to just get a bushel right of a boat.

7. Re: Crabs and the Ravens

My nephew, who lives in Hanover, Pa. area, says he just got some pretty big ones @Vince's in Manchester. Might want to check there.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcakes View Post
    It’s best to just get a bushel right of a boat.
    Since i live in arkansas, pretty hard. anyone want to hook me up?
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Since i live in arkansas, pretty hard. anyone want to hook me up?
    consider yourself hooked
    https://www.goldbelly.com/camerons-s...BoCaV8QAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by bymyheelicarenot View Post
    same here where about south centeral pa are you at?

York-ish
    Usually get from Paddy's in Dallastown. They tell me nobody is getting truly X-Large/Jumbo anymore...haven't for years.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    My nephew, who lives in Hanover, Pa. area, says he just got some pretty big ones @Vince's in Manchester. Might want to check there.

I'll give Vince a try.

Blog Entries

I got some pretty nice crabs from Sea Market on Rt 2 in Severna Park a couple weeks ago. They were mostly around 6-6.5" and heavy. it was $149 for a half Bushel. Prices usually go down in September and October and you can usually still get MD crabs into November.