Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: A good question to tide us over - Generating Sacks???

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Honestly I haven't looked at the numbers and strictly speaking for our situation as we have no reliable pass rushers right now, at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    You’re right that we don’t have reliable pass rushers. But, I think Wink can scheme up pressures for Bowser and Oweh like he did for Judon. And I think Yannick’s pass rush ability wasn’t important to offset his lack of ability to set the edge in Wink’s defense.

So I guess I’m bullish on Bower and Oweh’s ability to offset the loss of Yannick and Judon.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    You’re right that we don’t have reliable pass rushers. But, I think Wink can scheme up pressures for Bowser and Oweh like he did for Judon. And I think Yannick’s pass rush ability wasn’t important to offset his lack of ability to set the edge in Wink’s defense.

So I guess I’m bullish on Bower and Oweh’s ability to offset the loss of Yannick and Judon.
    They definitely have the freak physicality to be schemed to get the qb. I still think Houston would be worth signing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

I’ll belee it when I see it

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Well somehow, despite being middling when it comes to getting sacks (although they were tied with Tampa Bay for 2nd most QB hits with 116), the Ravens aren't being embarrassed by these mobile QBs, since the pass defense is among the best in the league.
    Not only that, Oweh has an unparalleled combination of force and speed. Which is the reason Big Ten DCs directed their offenses away from him. I far prefer him to Yannick, even as a rookie. We have guys now who will really disrupt and quickly run QBs down.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

You guys that think sacks arnt important crack me up. Pressures don’t make QBs see “ghosts”. Pressure doesn’t make elite QBs nervous. Sacks do. Sacks can be game changers. Ask Mahommes. It wasn’t the pressure that got to him …it was fear of getting smacked …again and again and again.

Have we beaten an elite QB with the “ just get pressure “ motif of Defense? Are teams really afraid to play us still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    You guys that think sacks arnt important crack me up. Pressures don’t make QBs see “ghosts”. Pressure doesn’t make elite QBs nervous. Sacks do. Sacks can be game changers. Ask Mahommes. It wasn’t the pressure that got to him …it was fear of getting smacked …again and again and again.

Have we beaten an elite QB with the “ just get pressure “ motif of Defense? Are teams really afraid to play us still?

Try 2019, when the Ravens beat Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, and Deshaun Watson with that defense. And given how the Ravens have been one of the best teams in the league over the last 2-3 years, I assume that teams aren't walking into M&T Bank thinking that they're gonna get an easy win.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

Here’s some food for thought on pressures and sacks:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profoot...han-sacks/amp/

Sacks represent such a small number of plays over the course of a year (about 7 percent of all dropbacks resulted in sacks last season) that they simply can’t measure everything a pass rusher does.

“I don’t know what happened. A long time ago somebody — probably when they started recording sacks — fans, coaches, whoever, defined a great pass rusher, or an effective pass rusher, off of sacks. That’s one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen. You define a great pass-rusher by consistency,” Smith said.

A pass rusher who averages one sack a game would be an All-Pro, but Smith said a pass rusher who gets regular pressure, several times a game, does more to help his team win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Good stuff, of course it was written B.M. (Before Mahomes)

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post

I don't think anyone said sacks aren't important, just that the small number of plays per game that turn into sacks are less important than the ability to get consistent pressure.

I think hits of all kinds can make a QB nervous. A legal hit that doesn't go down as a sack can affect a QB just as much.

One more thing about sacks is that they're usually more of a QB stat than a pass rusher stat. Some QBs take a lot of sacks no matter what their O line is like while others can avoid taking too many no matter how bad their line is. The exact same rush could result in a sack of Darnold, a completed pass from Brady and a 10 yard gain for Lamar.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Many on this board postulate that pressures are the actual metric for pass rush, and sacks don’t really matter, but I seriously disagree. I’ve seen so many sensational plays where quarterbacks escape pressure because a guy wasn’t able to finish and they go on to complete a pass for a big gain. Get these guys on the ground, they’re becoming more athletic and more elusive than ever.

That being said, I think I value sacks more than others on the board here, and as a result I think it’s a bit concerning. We lost 2 big pieces on our already pretty mediocre pass rush. Lombardi’s argument against this is guys will be better because they’re more experienced in this system, but that’s not enough for me. I don’t buy that something will click for vets like Campbell or Wolfe in year 2 here that wasn’t there in their already great year 1. I’m hopeful that Oweh can come in and be a stud day 1, but I’m not optimistic. Wink is great at manufacturing pressure, so I sure hope we can make it happen, but I foresee some growing pains.
    I think injury hurt Campbell more than learning the system last year

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I get what your saying, but even the best corners in the league can only cover for so long. With a great pass rush it forces the qb to get rid of the ball quicker and can result in turnovers. If a qb has all day to throw, he will pick apart just about anyone.

I think Oweh is going to account for about 6 sacks just because of his raw talent and speed, Wink will put him in position to win and i have a feeling he will be able to finish on some of these pressures that we just havent seen in awhile. I still think adding Houston does nothing but improve this team and god forbid we get an injury anywhere on the DL
    Just have to hope that Williams misses his couple games against bad run teams.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk