Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: The NFL & COVID in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    advice - noun:
    1. guidance or recommendations offered with regard to prudent future action.
    You made it sound like he advised me to NOT get the vaccine, which he never did. We discussed it and he gave me pertinent info which I used to make my current choice.

By the way, I haven't said I will never get the vaccine. I just don't see the prudence now and I can see why others would feel the same way, including NFL players.

Blog Entries

Michael Irvin was right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I was listening to SiriusXM NFL yesterday and I forgot who it was, current or former player, but they said the NFL dropped the ball because the same way they forced the players to mask up, there is something in the language of all NFL contracts they could make them vaccine up, but specifically chose NOT to invoke it.

Take it for what it is worth, but if the Feds rule you can make people do it for safety, the proximity of NFL players to non contracted workers, sideline ect, would make them liable.
    My wife's work at a law firm. The sent a memo out months ago with a date when all employees had to be vaccinated. Anyone who didn't would be subject to termination. I was curious to see if anyone refused and then sued but they all got vaccinated.

The firm I work for does not have a policy like that and about a quarter of the employees remain unvaccinated. I would think since my wife's firm is in the same area that they would have about the same vaccination rates if they didn't make it a requirement to continue working there. Some people were definitely pushed into it to keep their jobs. I also thought those people would be pissed off enough to quit even after they got vaccinated. That hasn't happened. I guess those lawyers did know what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    My wife's work at a law firm. The sent a memo out months ago with a date when all employees had to be vaccinated. Anyone who didn't would be subject to termination. I was curious to see if anyone refused and then sued but they all got vaccinated.

The firm I work for does not have a policy like that and about a quarter of the employees remain unvaccinated. I would think since my wife's firm is in the same area that they would have about the same vaccination rates if they didn't make it a requirement to continue working there. Some people were definitely pushed into it to keep their jobs. I also thought those people would be pissed off enough to quit even after they got vaccinated. That hasn't happened. I guess those lawyers did know what they were doing.
    Hospital workers have already sued, and lost, over vaccination mandates. AFAIK, the judge(s) did not say anything to limit the ruling to hospital workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yup and Leonard Fournette says he can’t do it.
    Can't do it, or won't do it? There is a big difference. Can't implies a medical condition preventing getting the vaccine; won't is just foolish. There. I said it. Foolish.

I am pro-vaccine and listening with interest. There are so many legal/relational/ethical issues - both ways.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    I am pro-vaccine and listening with interest. There are so many legal/relational/ethical issues - both ways.
    When I was kid if you didn't have your shots, you couldn't go to school. End of story. Not sure what the hell has happened since. Originally I personally did not want the shot. Once it became widely available I thought about it hard, how badly it hit me because I got it twice, I thought it was for the best and changed my mind.

We do so many reckless things over our lives and then something like this comes along, isn't it worth the risk?

Changing my mind has been one of the best traits I have developed. It is okay to either say you are wrong or simply had a change of heart. People are going to judge you anyway, might as well make a small concession to yourself and live.

I trust tucker Carlson over cdc and fauci!!

#kungflu

All the painkillers, supplements, hgh, perform enhancers and drugs that players take in the NFL, but the vaccine is where they draw the line.

I'm pro-vaccine in a very general sense, but studies show that a previous infection is marginally better than getting the vaccine in staving off re-infections.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....01.21258176v1
    Summary: Cumulative incidence of COVID-19 was examined among 52238 employees in an American healthcare system. COVID-19 did not occur in anyone over the five months of the study among 2579 individuals previously infected with COVID-19, including 1359 who did not take the vaccine.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...92867420310084
    Summary: SARS-CoV-2-specific T cells were detectable in antibody-seronegative exposed family members and convalescent individuals with a history of asymptomatic and mild COVID-19. Our collective dataset shows that SARS-CoV-2 elicits broadly directed and functionally replete memory T cell responses, suggesting that natural exposure or infection may prevent recurrent episodes of severe COVID-19.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....20.21255670v1
    Summary: Vaccination was highly effective with overall estimated efficacy for documented infection of 92·8% (CI:[92·6, 93·0]); hospitalization 94·2% (CI:[93·6, 94·7]); severe illness 94·4% (CI:[93·6, 95·0]); and death 93·7% (CI:[92·5, 94·7]). Similarly, the overall estimated level of protection from prior SARS-CoV-2 infection for documented infection is 94·8% (CI:[94·4, 95·1]); hospitalization 94·1% (CI:[91·9, 95·7]); and severe illness 96·4% (CI:[92·5, 98·3]). Our results question the need to vaccinate previously-infected individuals.

The occurrence of side effects due to the vaccine are small, but are the risks worth it when considering the data on previous infections and how mild COVID typically is?
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...s-202107012523
    Summary: Currently, about 1,000 cases of myocarditis and pericarditis have been reported after vaccination against COVID-19 with one of the mRNA vaccines, Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna. The cases have been most common in male adolescents and young adults, occurring most often after the second dose, and usually within several days of receiving the vaccine. The majority of cases have been mild. Experts are still gathering information, but as of this writing, 79% of teens and young adults who experienced this had recovered.

EDIT: Since I know folks are going to bring up the Delta variant,
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....28.21258025v1
    Me Paraphrasing Instead of Quoting Actual Summary: Memory B Cells will react much quicker to variants of the original virus after infection/vaccination.

I am not arguing against vaccinations. The risk/reward has to be weighed for each individual, and for me I don't believe it's worth the risk since I've already had COVID.
    Last edited by darb72; 07-22-2021 at 09:05 PM.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Last year at the height of the pandemic with no vaccine, the two main competing forces were personal economics and public health. Now, with the vaccine available, it seems the main struggle is between personal choice (to be or not to be vaccinated) and, again, public health. Will the SCOTUS be forced to decide who wins?

CCx

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I'm pro-vaccine in a very general sense, but studies show that a previous infection is marginally better than getting the vaccine in staving off re-infections.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....01.21258176v1
    Summary: Cumulative incidence of COVID-19 was examined among 52238 employees in an American healthcare system. COVID-19 did not occur in anyone over the five months of the study among 2579 individuals previously infected with COVID-19, including 1359 who did not take the vaccine.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...92867420310084
    Summary: SARS-CoV-2-specific T cells were detectable in antibody-seronegative exposed family members and convalescent individuals with a history of asymptomatic and mild COVID-19. Our collective dataset shows that SARS-CoV-2 elicits broadly directed and functionally replete memory T cell responses, suggesting that natural exposure or infection may prevent recurrent episodes of severe COVID-19.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....20.21255670v1
    Summary: Vaccination was highly effective with overall estimated efficacy for documented infection of 92·8% (CI:[92·6, 93·0]); hospitalization 94·2% (CI:[93·6, 94·7]); severe illness 94·4% (CI:[93·6, 95·0]); and death 93·7% (CI:[92·5, 94·7]). Similarly, the overall estimated level of protection from prior SARS-CoV-2 infection for documented infection is 94·8% (CI:[94·4, 95·1]); hospitalization 94·1% (CI:[91·9, 95·7]); and severe illness 96·4% (CI:[92·5, 98·3]). Our results question the need to vaccinate previously-infected individuals.

The occurrence of side effects due to the vaccine are small, but are the risks worth it when considering the data on previous infections and how mild COVID typically is?
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...s-202107012523
    Summary: Currently, about 1,000 cases of myocarditis and pericarditis have been reported after vaccination against COVID-19 with one of the mRNA vaccines, Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna. The cases have been most common in male adolescents and young adults, occurring most often after the second dose, and usually within several days of receiving the vaccine. The majority of cases have been mild. Experts are still gathering information, but as of this writing, 79% of teens and young adults who experienced this had recovered.

EDIT: Since I know folks are going to bring up the Delta variant,
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....28.21258025v1
    Me Paraphrasing Instead of Quoting Actual Summary: Memory B Cells will react much quicker to variants of the original virus after infection/vaccination.

I am not arguing against vaccinations. The risk/reward has to be weighed for each individual, and for me I don't believe it's worth the risk since I've already had COVID.
    This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.