Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Re: OT: Fav all time Baltimore radio sports talk show hosts

Chuck Thompson & Bill O' Donnell...........runner up: Barry "The Stallion" Strieb

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    Alice Sweet wants to know: when is the best time to put in a tomato plant?
    uh yeah...wasn't gonna go there...but for our younger viewers...why not...a blue version of Manager's Corner...classic Earl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Tom Marr
    I worked for the ground’s crew in ‘79 and sat out in the Oriole bullpen. Sammy Steward goofed by pretending to call play-by-play into a cassette recorder. I have one of games he recorded, and because of him Tom Marr will always be “Two Tongue Tommy Marr”!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    ALSO NSFW but a local "ad" put together by some local guys who did car commercials.

"Bring your wife. We'll...."

Accept her as trade-in.
    That's what I was hoping for when I brought her in to Bill Hell's. "Maybe I'll get donkey that brays less or perhaps a less lumpy camel?"

When I first saw that video I laughed myself to tears. The voice, the video, the rhythm...it's dead-on for that era.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    mark zinno
    Didn't know you were a roid head. :) Is he still working in Atlanta?

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    "Bring your wife. We'll...."

Accept her as trade-in.
    That's what I was hoping for when I brought her in to Bill Hell's. "Maybe I'll get donkey that brays less or perhaps a less lumpy camel?"

When I first saw that video I laughed myself to tears. The voice, the video, the rhythm...it's dead-on for that era.
    It was done by the same guys who did those commercials. They made this spoof for laughs.

"Stick it up your ugly ass!"

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    Loved Charlie. What a unique character. He sat in with Chuck for a few innings during an O's game one time and it was very entertaining. I also recall Mayor Shaffer doing the same with Jon Miller. Jon let him do play-by-play for a couple of batters and it was hilarious.
    It was more than one time. He was a color guy for awhile.

Trusting my old memory here, but the Doug DeCinces home run that kicked off Oriole Magic, Eckman is in the background screaming “Come on ball! Come on ball!”

It’s as iconic as Qadry losing his mind during the Mile High Miracle.

As for talk show hosts, I agree with the OP — not a lot to choose from. As a kid I used to call in and talk to Rex Barney.

But I think Terry Ford is way underrated. He has moved on now, but I always enjoyed listening to him. He particularly had a real gift for dealing with bad callers.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post

Trusting my old memory here, but the Doug DeCinces home run that kicked off Oriole Magic, Eckman is in the background screaming “Come on ball! Come on ball!”

Thank you HIH for the memory jog. Indeed, I was listening that night and Charlie went berserk. What a season that was. So much so that Sports Illustrated published an article written by an O's fan chronicling that wonderful year and all those heroics. I'll try to find it.

As for talk show hosts, I agree with the OP — not a lot to choose from. As a kid I used to call in and talk to Rex Barney.

But I think Terry Ford is way underrated. He has moved on now, but I always enjoyed listening to him. He particularly had a real gift for dealing with bad callers.
    Thank you HIH for jogging my memory. I was listening that night and Charlie was a hoot but when Doug hit that game-winning home run he went bonkers. It was Bill O'Donnell doing play-by-play. Sports Illustrated published an essay by An O's fan chronicling all those comebacks that wonderful year. I will try to find it and post it on the board.
    Last edited by KbubbaK; 07-19-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post

Here is that iconic home run call. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKp8ZKWQSx8

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    Here is that iconic home run call. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKp8ZKWQSx8
    While that is iconic. I remember the July 23, 1970 game better.

Mike Flanagan got rocked in the 2nd inning and put the O's down 4-2 and Tipi Martinez came on in relief after Flanagan had gone a inning and a third.

O's got one back in the middle innings. Pat Kelly came up in the bottom of the 8th with bases loaded and 2 outs and hit a Grand Slam.

Tipi got the win as he NO HIT the A's for 7 and 2/3 innings in relief.

I was listening to the end of the game driving home from the hospital as my wife had delivered our daughter the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    While that is iconic. I remember the July 23, 1970 game better.

Mike Flanagan got rocked in the 2nd inning and put the O's down 4-2 and Tipi Martinez came on in relief after Flanagan had gone a inning and a third.

O's got one back in the middle innings. Pat Kelly came up in the bottom of the 8th with bases loaded and 2 outs and hit a Grand Slam.

Tipi got the win as he NO HIT the A's for 7 and 2/3 innings in relief.

I was listening to the end of the game driving home from the hospital as my wife had delivered our daughter the day before.
    The Reverend Kelly! I was listening to the game Tippy picked off three runners in a row at first. Unbelievable. (I know this is a Ravens' board...apologies...just going where the conversation takes us...Chuck Thompson and Vince Bagli were a great football broadcast team ).

Blog Entries

Man this thread is bringing back some fond memories of when I loved the Orioles. Chuck Thompson was my all time favorite, whether doing O's games or Colts games. Loved when he teamed up with Bill O'Donnell. Charlie Eckman was a close second though.