Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Trade bait?

Re: Trade bait?

It would be stupid to trade Averett for a draft choice heading into a season when we are aiming seriously for the Super Bowl. We have three injury prone defensive backs and a 17 game regular season. Averett is a promising, ascending player at a key position. We may need to rely on him to start for extensive stretches.

If you want to unload him for draft choices, the time to think about that would be after the 2021 season and before the 2022 draft. And even then you might really prefer to keep him.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    It would be stupid to trade Averett for a draft choice heading into a season when we are aiming seriously for the Super Bowl. We have three injury prone defensive backs and a 17 game regular season. Averett is a promising, ascending player at a key position. We may need to rely on him to start for extensive stretches.

If you want to unload him for draft choices, the time to think about that would be after the 2021 season and before the 2022 draft. And even then you might really prefer to keep him.
    Averett's a free agent after the season.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    He's actually a guy I wish they could have extended. Maybe they tried, and Averett wants to test free agency. Who knows?

But if they could have gotten him for reasonable money, the guy is young, versatile, and so far has stayed pretty healthy. There is always room for a corner like that on the roster.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    The Ravens hardly gave up anything to get Peters, even if they were just trying to prevent him from hitting the market. They gave up a late 5th and a linebacker that disappointed and was benched after only 4 games and got an All-Pro corner in return. I fail to see how the Ravens would get more than they got for Averett, a player that has achieved considerably less than Peters during his time in the league.
    You’re still using an epically bad trade as a measuring stick for the Peters trade.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    You’re still using an epically bad trade as a measuring stick for the Peters trade.
    Fine. Then what's a good trade to use as a measuring stick, in your opinion?
    Joe Flacco

Fine. Then what's a good trade to use as a measuring stick, in your opinion?
    Why should I? Explain why that trade makes sense! Why don’t you explain to me how Marcus Peters is only worth Young and a late fifth? I’m telling you the trade makes sense under the conditions I described - IF the new guys can ball. Averett, as good as he is, is primarily a bench rider. He’s an poster board for great Ravens depth at CB. The new guys have multiple years of team control. If they are good and you cut one to keep Averett for one year spells regret and poor cap management. There is value to be had - for the right player or the right picks. These are the big boy decisions GMs have to make for the future health of the team.

Why should I? Explain why that trade makes sense! Why don’t you explain to me how Marcus Peters is only worth Young and a late fifth? I’m telling you the trade makes sense under the conditions I described - IF the new guys can ball. Averett, as good as he is, is primarily a bench rider. He’s an poster board for great Ravens depth at CB. The new guys have multiple years of team control. If they are good and you cut one to keep Averett for one year spells regret and poor cap management. There is value to be had - for the right player or the right picks. These are the big boy decisions GMs have to make for the future health of the team.
    Have you been reading any of what I've posted so far? I'm not saying that Marcus Peters is only worth Young and a late fifth. For a 3x Pro Bowler and a 2x All-Pro that's currently half of one of the best if not the best CB duos in the NFL, DeCosta was able to get him for far more than he's worth and if the Rams clearly weren't going after Jalen Ramsey, they would've been fleeced.

Now if you somehow interpret everything I've posted thus far as me saying that a CB that's been great since he came here is only worth chump change, that's on you at this point. My only argument was in response to your claim that the Ravens might get a 3rd and a 5th for Averett, and my claim was that a backup corner, even if he is young, talented, and might possibly get a chance to start if he wasn't stuck behind three veterans that can ball, could probably be obtained for less than what the Ravens gave up for Peters. Because it would probably be more highway robbery from DeCosta if they got more than a 5th for Averett.
    Joe Flacco

Have you been reading any of what I've posted so far? I'm not saying that Marcus Peters is only worth Young and a late fifth. For a 3x Pro Bowler and a 2x All-Pro that's currently half of one of the best if not the best CB duos in the NFL, DeCosta was able to get him for far more than he's worth and if the Rams clearly weren't going after Jalen Ramsey, they would've been fleeced.

Now if you somehow interpret everything I've posted thus far as me saying that a CB that's been great since he came here is only worth chump change, that's on you at this point. My only argument was in response to your claim that the Ravens might get a 3rd and a 5th for Averett, and my claim was that a backup corner, even if he is young, talented, and might possibly get a chance to start if he wasn't stuck behind three veterans that can ball, could probably be obtained for less than what the Ravens gave up for Peters. Because it would probably be more highway robbery from DeCosta if they got more than a 5th for Averett.
    My condition for a trade was a contending team that lost a starting corner in camp. They would give up a third and get a quality starting level corner who can fit in man, zone and play decent slot that will either net a fourth round comp pick or be amenable to a long-term deal but somehow here in the same actual real world where Laremy Tunsil is worth two first round picks or Marcus Peters = Kenny Young, the same team would rather loot the Rashaan Melivin’s of the world from other team’s practice squads in order to salvage a season than cough up a third rounder? No, the Ravens are known to have legitimate depth at CB and they will take a phone call and EDC will get a third rounder. Averett has quality NFL film. His value is not as degraded as much as you say by not getting reps over Marlon, Marcus and Smith.

I have to agree that the Peters trade is a unique situation. Trades that lopsided happen maybe twice in a decade. Cannot expect a normal trade to be anywhere close to that. But hey, you never know with the way EDC works his magic.

I believe the Ravens could get something for Averett; I don't know about a 3rd, maybe a 4th/5th, but really I'd prefer they keep him and let him walk for the comp formula. They're trying to win now and CB depth is very important.

My condition for a trade was a contending team that lost a starting corner in camp. They would give up a third and get a quality starting level corner who can fit in man, zone and play decent slot that will either net a fourth round comp pick or be amenable to a long-term deal but somehow here in the same actual real world where Laremy Tunsil is worth two first round picks or Marcus Peters = Kenny Young, the same team would rather loot the Rashaan Melivin’s of the world from other team’s practice squads in order to salvage a season than cough up a third rounder? No, the Ravens are known to have legitimate depth at CB and they will take a phone call and EDC will get a third rounder. Averett has quality NFL film. His value is not as degraded as much as you say by not getting reps over Marlon, Marcus and Smith.
    No fucking way they get a third for Averett. If he was that much of a hot commodity around the league, we'd be hearing about it now.
    Joe Flacco

Averett is not a bench rider. Neither Stephens nor Wade will play outside CB. Jimmy, Elliott and Tayvon can get hurt. And maybe someone else. In a 17 game season, you may not want to force Humphrey and Peters to play every snap, especially later in the season.

You do not weaken your 2021 roster if you are aiming for the top in 2021.

If you want to make a deal, keeping the Peters scenario in mind, you want a high quality young vet in return for Averett.

Averett plus a 4th rounder for Quenton Nelson.

Don't lose any sleep over this.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I have to agree that the Peters trade is a unique situation. Trades that lopsided happen maybe twice in a decade. Cannot expect a normal trade to be anywhere close to that. But hey, you never know with the way EDC works his magic.

I believe the Ravens could get something for Averett; I don't know about a 3rd, maybe a 4th/5th, but really I'd prefer they keep him and let him walk for the comp formula. They're trying to win now and CB depth is very important.
    I agree actually. There are a whole lot of ifs and planetary alignment in my scenario (but it’s not completely off the rails) - the most significant and unrealistic is that at least three young corners have to really inspire confidence. … but my whole notion of what picks for Averett really just came from the question of defining the meaning of “shit-ton” LOL!