Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT - Supreme Court sides 9-0 against NCAA

Twin girl basketball players sign an endorsement deal. It's not just football

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-ni...103459408.html

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

also key point to note - that endorsement would have gone to the school. Now it goes to those girls and the school is out of luck

Blog Entries

Reggie wants his Heisman back

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Bc seems to be stuck on an opinion of the college or NCAA directly paying players. That's not what this is all about and not what this ruling means.

There was a kicker at Central Florida, Donald De La Haye, who had a youtube channel that had enough subs to make some money and the NCAA told him he'd have to give that channel up in order to remain eligible. What sense does that make? Let the kids make money of their NIL...if there's a market for autographs, they should be able to make money off of it, if their jersey numbers are being sold, give them a small percentage.
    You are correct in your assessment of me. I guess I lived in a much simpler time, although this was important :

It didn't seem that people were as obsessive. Now it unfortunately rules us

Oh, I'll get along with the times, but I don't have to be happy about it... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    You are correct in your assessment of me. I guess I lived in a much simpler time, although this was important :

It didn't seem that people were as obsessive. Now it unfortunately rules us

Oh, I'll get along with the times, but I don't have to be happy about it... Bc
    BC do you think it's fair that an athlete on scholarship creates content on youtube that creates a demand high enough to get paid for it should be against the rules? You don't think an athlete should be able to make money at an autograph session?

I'm still struggling here...schools don't give out scholarships just to be nice...they are given out as part of being competitive with other schools for a teenager's talents whether that be academic, musical, or athletic. The trade they get is the better talent they can pull in, the higher future rewards whether it's research money, building out a high earning donor base, higher visibility for the school to attract more applicants and students that have to pay etc.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Reggie wants his Heisman back

And he should get it back! He’s still one of the most electric CFB player to ever put on cleats. One of my all-time favorite player to watch

Bc seems to be stuck on an opinion of the college or NCAA directly paying players. That's not what this is all about and not what this ruling means.

There was a kicker at Central Florida, Donald De La Haye, who had a youtube channel that had enough subs to make some money and the NCAA told him he'd have to give that channel up in order to remain eligible. What sense does that make? Let the kids make money of their NIL...if there's a market for autographs, they should be able to make money off of it, if their jersey numbers are being sold, give them a small percentage.
    Yeah. Not even like they make more than two or three jerseys per team.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Master P's son is a freshman headed to TN State. Just signed a $2M deal before his first practice...

https://www.tmz.com/2021/07/02/maste...a-rule-change/

Blog Entries

Question Re: OT - Supreme Court sides 9-0 against NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Master P's son is a freshman headed to TN State. Just signed a $2M deal before his first practice...

https://www.tmz.com/2021/07/02/maste...a-rule-change/
    I really have no problem with that at all, no matter what some may think. My question is :
    Will he now be paying tuition, room & board, for books, and perhaps attend classes?
    If the answer to all of those is YES, then I'm cool with it... Bc

BC do you think it's fair that an athlete on scholarship creates content on youtube that creates a demand high enough to get paid for it should be against the rules? You don't think an athlete should be able to make money at an autograph session?

I'm still struggling here... schools don't give out scholarships just to be nice...they are given out as part of being competitive with other schools for a teenager's talents whether that be academic, musical, or athletic...
    Yea, so let's talk about that for a second:

The University of Texas Football program generated $146.8 Million in revenue last year (in the middle of a pandemic, with limited attendance, no less):
    https://www.si.com/college/texas/new...e-in-the-black

The cost for a full-ride scholarship to Texas (Tuition, Room & Board, Fees, etc) for an out-of-state student is approximately $60K:
    https://onestop.utexas.edu/managing-...of-attendance/

Every Div-I FBS program is allowed 85 full-scholarship "student-athletes" for any given year:
    https://www.ncsasports.org/football/scholarships

Doing some quick math, we find that (let's see here, 85 * 60K = ...)

It looks to me like the NCAA is very graciously allowing the University of Texas to "pay" the players a total of around $5Million (and that's if you can even consider a scholarship to be "payment", since the amount is actually costs the university to provide these scholarships is far lower then the stated value)

That, BTW, works out to a colossal 3.5 percent of the football program's total revenue. You know, the revenue generated by the product on the field, for which the players are primarily responsible.

How incredibly magnanimous.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I really have no problem with that at all, no matter what some may think. My question is :
    Will he now be paying tuition, room & board, for books, and perhaps attend classes?
    If the answer to all of those is YES, then I'm cool with it... Bc
    My question is why should he? There's nothing stopping colleges from refusing to give a kid a scholarship for any reason. So if this is so wrong for a kid to get paid from entities that ISN'T a college, the college can decide to just not give it.

I don't want to get political, but is this a capitalist society or not? Why are college athletes on scholarship the only people in this country other than prisoners who are told that they can't make any money?

It sounds so silly to the University of Maryland to say "Juan Dixon, we don't think it's fair that in your little bit of off time from classes and going out there winning the school a championship that you decided to wait tables at Jimmy's Seafood for a job so you can have some money...so we are revoking your scholarship and you now have to pay for everything".

And if Maryland was to do that, Duke or North Carolina would be thrilled to toss a scholarship to Juan Dixon to win for them and allow him to work a couple hours in a Bank of America call center in his off time.

Again, nobody makes these arguments for Jane Doe who has a full ride on a band scholarship, or John Doe who has a full ride on an art scholarship or Jack Jones who has a full ride on an academic scholarship. They are able to go out and tend bars, serve coffee at Starbucks with no problem. Does anyone think that they should have their scholarships revoked or not offered because they have other a job?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

My question is why should he? There's nothing stopping colleges from refusing to give a kid a scholarship for any reason. So if this is so wrong for a kid to get paid from entities that ISN'T a college, the college can decide to just not give it.
    I wonder if you ever heard of the phrase "giving back?" Ok as you wrote "why should he?" Perhaps you're right, but maybe the majority of students can't play sports and/or have sports scholarships. Maybe some of them will go on to be our doctors, scientists, dentists, accountants, lawyers, mechanics, etc. Oh yes, let's disregard them for former high schoolers who were sports heroes and are now walking the Red Carpet to million$. I don't blame them for promoting their athletic skills, but if you think someone getting a $2 mil. deal should get a free-ride, that's your opinion. I'm sure you'll be glad to pay for your $200 ticket to see him in an NFL uniform someday... Bc