Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: OT - Supreme Court sides 9-0 against NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Hold my beer...

Blog Entries

They deserve to be paid for how much is asked of them and how much $ colleges make from them. Allow the market to decide these things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    BC, I share your value of a degree. No question. However, just like every other of the millions of 18 year old graduates, the decision to go to college is their own. Some kids go to college and some don't. Some degrees allow for a high paying job, some don't. Some kids that don't go to college make good blue collar money via trades or other non degree requiring jobs, some will struggle. In short, I think a degree is a nice thing to have, it opens more doors for graduates. However, not having one is ok as well as long as one is financially stable and happy...athletes that don't get a degree aren't necessarily screwed if they don't make the big leagues, it's up to the person, there are many avenues kids can take once they graduate high school and/or college and the college route isn't for everyone.

The facts are of course that the vast majority of kids in college sports will not go on to be millionaire pros. Most certainly agreed. I am struggling though to see how that plays into kids who are able to make money off their likeness? Are you suggesting that colleges will no longer offer any kids scholarships because schools may have to pay a select few players 2% of the sale price of their jerseys that are sold?
    I hope I'm not really suggesting that at all. It just appears that people seem to disregard the value of a free college ride. Check out Rwt's post #22. I too paid in full my daughter's 4-year college degree. as he wrote "tens of thousands." I certainly have no regrets about it, the wife and I both worked hard so she could be educated, then thankfully launched into real life (LOL). If a young man is going to a prestigious school it is likely the 4-year ride might cost $200K or more (?), plus he's given the environment to show off his athletic skills so the Pros can see them too. It doesn't bother me if they get paid for their likeness, however don't you think they also have some obligation (a pay-back if you will) to their school? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I hope I'm not really suggesting that at all. It just appears that people seem to disregard the value of a free college ride. Check out Rwt's post #22. I too paid in full my daughter's 4-year college degree. as he wrote "tens of thousands." I certainly have no regrets about it, the wife and I both worked hard so she could be educated, then thankfully launched into real life (LOL). If a young man is going to a prestigious school it is likely the 4-year ride might cost $200K or more (?), plus he's given the environment to show off his athletic skills so the Pros can see them too. It doesn't bother me if they get paid for their likeness, however don't you think they also have some obligation (a pay-back if you will) to their school? ... Bc
    Im with you bc. They are getting great value for their services. Also i dont think they are responsible fir their likeness selling as a lot of people on here do. Most is for the school, the brand. So while a devonte smith performance may garner some support to buy a jersey, the university of Alabama is a much bigger driving force.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Im with you bc. They are getting great value for their services. Also i dont think they are responsible fir their likeness selling as a lot of people on here do. Most is for the school, the brand. So while a devonte smith performance may garner some support to buy a jersey, the university of Alabama is a much bigger driving force.
    These kids are making their colleges way more money than what their degrees are worth. They deserve to be paid for what value they offer, especially at the SEC level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    These kids are making their colleges way more money than what their degrees are worth. They deserve to be paid for what value they offer, especially at the SEC level.
    We working stiffs make more money for our companies than our salaries... it's called profit.
    Otherwise, the institution would not exist the same way it does OR perhaps not at all... Bc

We working stiffs make more money for our companies than our salaries... it's called profit.
    Otherwise, the institution would not exist the same way it does OR perhaps not at all... Bc
    Universities aren’t “for profit”. They also weren’t created for the purpose of sports.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Universities aren’t “for profit”. They also weren’t created for the purpose of sports.
    moose, while that is correct, everything in life has changed. The amateur student athlete who proudly played to get the school letter on his sweater, the institutions that once primarily were there to educate and send the next generation into society... are sadly a thing of the past. I can tell you that personally as I paid my daughter's way thru UMass Amherst. She told me, "Dad, some of the guys on the football team don't even attend classes!" Of course not, my dear, they are gambling on becoming professionals... so class-work is the last thing on their minds. So while my little girl graduated with a degree in Psychology (2010), Vladimir Ducasse got drafted by the Jets in the 2nd round in the very same year... Bc

OT - Supreme Court sides 9-0 against NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    No, and currently athletics subsidize academics. Pay the players and those roles immediately flip and it becomes quite hard to suggest THAT is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jonboy79; 06-25-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Blog Entries

BC trust me I understand about how important profits are to any business as a free market advocate. I am also not saying that colleges should be forced to pay players... just that it should not be illegal to pay them either. This is something that the market should decide IMO.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, if players make money/get royalties "off their likenesses", shouldn't they be paying for their own education (if that's what we want to call it)? They certainly would be entitled to their fair share, but would be wearing the jerseys of college "X" too. They wouldn't make a dime if they had their likeness on a blank Tee shirt. IMO it's a quid pro quo = get to stay in a dorm, eat chow, go to class (if you choose to get a free degree), for your service on the playing field. Then take your chances, as we all do in life, to get drafted by a professional team with the dream of making million$ doing what you love to do best... Bc
    If they're paying for their own education they should get paid to play the game. Being able to do endorsements or anything else off the field is separate.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    This is like your current job telling you to work for free because of your lucky and get hired by your next job they will pay you. Um no.
    So basically, you're saying the ncaa is a three to five year internship.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk