Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: SCOTUS rules against NCAA. Will players be paid?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Eventually, everyone will be paid a living wage. Regardless of talent or skill.
    A barely living wage.

Eventually, everyone will be paid a living wage. Regardless of talent or skill.
    Not the machines.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Not the machines.
    The machines are essentially slaves to the owners. The owners of the machines will be paid.

The machines are essentially slaves to the owners. The owners of the machines will be paid.
    But the owners dont have to pay the machines a wage, living or otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I'm all for paying the athletes of revenue generating sports. Which means the D3 tiddly winks player will continue on as always as an unpaid athlete. The starting qb for 'Bama might be in line for a big payday, however. Why not?
    If this continues and the athletes are paid, then they are professionals. No more scholarships, no more classes to attend. Why take a kid out of high school when you can get someone from the CFL or even ex-NFL. Some guys just kill it in college, but don’t make it in the NFL. The next Tim Tebow could go back and play for his alma matter for 10 years.

Blog Entries

Let the market decide.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    If this continues and the athletes are paid, then they are professionals. No more scholarships, no more classes to attend. Why take a kid out of high school when you can get someone from the CFL or even ex-NFL. Some guys just kill it in college, but don’t make it in the NFL. The next Tim Tebow could go back and play for his alma matter for 10 years.
    Isn't a scholarship a form of payment?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Isn't a scholarship a form of payment?
    Yes. Nobody, and I mean nobody, hates the NCAA more than I do but this argument that the players should get paid outside of their scholarships is just stupid. First off, the only two college sports that make any money at all are football and a select few basketball teams. Most of the teams you don't even have to buy a ticket to watch. There are TV rights which every bit of that money is already spent covering scholarships and team costs so that's not going to help any.

A ticket to a softball game at University of Alabama is 10-20 dollars depending. The average ticket price to a game at Bryant-Denny Stadium is 265$. The SEC football and basketball games are being aired exclusively by ESPN and NBC, for which Disney is paying 3 billion over 10 years. 55 million a year between 14 teams is roughly 4 million per. After travel, stadium/gym funding, scholarships, coaching salaries, there may be about 2 million left. That has to pay for the scholarships for teams that don't make money, like soccer and all their coaches, travel, etc...

I just don't see how, or why, they're going to pay kids more than a scholarship.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock