Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: IRS denies tax exemption to religious group because prayer boosts Republicans

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Outside of Osteen and a few mega-churches, I can't think of a single church where the preacher is in control of the money. In Baptist churches, there's a group consisting of deacons, elders, and other leaders who make all financial decisions. As for it being a racket...
    https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...alary-by-State
    That stat doesn’t include the free house , free utilities and in most cases free car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: IRS denies tax exemption to religious group because prayer boosts Republicans

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    That stat doesn’t include the free house , free utilities and in most cases free car.

Um… I don’t know any pastor who has a free house or car and their utilities are covered.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/interest-di...sing-allowance

30 seconds of research.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    Why do George Soros groups actively participating in the radicalization and takeover of the United States receive tax-exempt status. Same with the Clinton Foundation? Non-profits are used as piggy banks for the rich to avoid taxes and dump millions(billions??)of dollars into running a shadow government. Congress sends money overseas as "aid" and it makes its way back into these non-profits that enrich the politicians and help transform the country.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Yes, but I don't think many religious organizations are used like these foundations are commonly.

And if the previous poster wants to know why religious organizations are exempt see who is often running shelters, food banks, and soup kitchens, along with assisting poor families particularly around the holidays. Even public, government owned facilities are very often staffed by religious volunteers, not to mention things like prison ministry which are PROVEN to be the most effective way to reduce recidivism.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Frye's Moustache View Post
    As long as you revoke them for all secular organizations too, fine.

Otherwise, you will need a better standard for revocation than "all religious institutions."

As a Catholic, I wish the church would forgo tax exempt status. They could but be much more involved politically and frankly have a greater impact on societee if they weren't constantly watching what they said when it comes to politics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Actually they can still be involved politically. The left uses churches just fine for their purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Frye's Moustache View Post
    It is a catch-22, but I want the Church, the institution which has more ability to drive social and societal change than any other, to be unencumbered in speaking the truth. I care less about double-taxation, which is an earthly concern, than I do about preaching Christ's message, frankly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Government shall make no law establishing a religion or PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF.

Taxing a church for exercising their religious views is not allowed. There is a law against churches in politics but it has actually never been used to prosecute or remove tax exempt status, just threatened. But it wouldn't hold up with the Supreme Court.

Though I agree with you, being taxed is better than being silent.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    The church should only be concerned with godly things. You shouldn’t want them involved in politics. And quite frankly i would probably disagree with a lot of what they would fo if they got involved in politics. You probably would too.
    How is the political arena not godly things? The law, even the law of men, is a moral teacher. And in any case religious people and institutions have the right to speak their mind just like anybody else.

You don’t seriously believe that churches are “non profit” do you? Maybe they can pull off “ Not for profit”. But non profit is waaayy off the table. Any questions on this idea please see Mr Joel Osteen. Or perhaps Peter Popoff. Or any number of other wealthy preachers.

You are spouting off and know nothing about what you speak.

First, I am quite familiar with a few churches and their books. Nobody is making tons of money at the local level and these groups of people are where your volunteers for all kinds of things come from.

Second, Joel Osteen takes exactly ZERO in salary from his church. He is quite rich but earns his money, YES EARNS IT, selling books. Now me, I wouldn't be comfortable living in the home he has regardless of how much money I was making from legitimate sources but that is between him and God.

Oh, and he pays taxes on his income just like anybody else. The church as an organization does not pay taxes but then again they are also non-profits and nobody is pocketing profits from it. But every salary employees of churches receive, including pastors, is taxed just like your income is.

That being said…am I wrong?

VERY. Completely. Incontrovertibly.

So Joel Osteen buying the Compaq center and making it a church ..is perfectly ok? Him charging $20+ a seat and filling several baseball stadiums on his “tour” isn’t for profit? Wow.

I’ve seen Mr Popoff on tv at night selling his “Miracle Water”. That’s not for profit? Then there are countless others.

Hell …just look at the Vatican !! That place of the picture of Profit! And not the Biblical kind either.

LOL. Check out what concert acts charge for a ticket to the same arena then break down where the money goes. They charge a lot more because that first $20 of their tickets, and Osteen's, goes to rent the place, pay for security, etc.

I know little about Popoff. Again though, if he is personally profiting then he is paying income taxes. As for what he is doing, as a follower of Christ this kind of thing is disgusting but Jesus showed the most disdain for the money changers in the church. Good luck to him when he meets his Maker.

Well he represents the Lakewood church. He’s the pastor. Monies from the church pay for his big ass mansion.
    Nope, wrong, as shown above.

Maybe they should be Not for Profit …like most major teaching Hospitals ( John Hopkins for example).

Osteen is the pastor of Lakewood church. That place makes Millions. No way they “give it all away”. So change your status to Not for profit and be honest with the world.

How do you know what they do with their money? You are making gigantic assumptions some of which are known to be completely wrong. Seriously, the most cursory check of Osteen and his money will show he takes no salary from Lakewood.

Again, his lavish lifestyle is way beyond my comfort zone but that is his business. And again, he pays taxes on his income just like you do.