Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Free talk Friday - 06.18.21

Happy Friday! What's everyone up to?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Re: Free talk Friday - 06.18.21

I work out of a west coast office, remotely from the east coast. It's made me very good at automatically adding or subtracting three hours when a colleague or I reference a meeting time.

Today is supposed to be a half day for us. But I was online early finishing up a project at 7 a.m. EST to email out before I got in some exercise and now I am back online again at 9:30 EST to prep for the upcoming workday. So my "half day" ends at 4 PM EST.

But it's still mostly all good. It's a good job working with good people and I love not having to put on "work clothes" and do the daily commute. After working for myself for two years and surviving both business-startup slowness and then COVID, I'm happy to have a predictable paycheck.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Have the day off for Juneteenth. More holidays please...

Mentioned I was thinking of a big change and I'm going to do it. Was approached by a massive cloud company to run a product line in FL/GA and going to roll the dice and go for it. Pretty excited

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

More work unfortunately. To make it worse this dumb building I work in has HVAC issues that they said won't be solved until August so no AC. I'm finally getting a week off for the first time in 2 years the week of the 4th of July. I'm counting the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Have the day off for Juneteenth. More holidays please...

Mentioned I was thinking of a big change and I'm going to do it. Was approached by a massive cloud company to run a product line in FL/GA and going to roll the dice and go for it. Pretty excited
    Congrats on the new gig. Keeps life interesting.

My daughter's birthday is tomorrow. I texted her to express jealousy that she'll now always have off on her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm finally getting a week off for the first time in 2 years the week of the 4th of July. I'm counting the days.
    I have not had a week-long vacation since the summer of 2018. I feel your pain. Since I have only just started the new gig for me two months ago, it will take at least six months to build up enough PTO to take a week, and by then school starts up again. It may be summer of '22 before I take a real vacation again. Meanwhile, Europeans....
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I work out of a west coast office, remotely from the east coast. It's made me very good at automatically adding or subtracting three hours when a colleague or I reference a meeting time.

Today is supposed to be a half day for us. But I was online early finishing up a project at 7 a.m. EST to email out before I got in some exercise and now I am back online again at 9:30 EST to prep for the upcoming workday. So my "half day" ends at 4 PM EST.

But it's still mostly all good. It's a good job working with good people and I love not having to put on "work clothes" and do the daily commute. After working for myself for two years and surviving both business-startup slowness and then COVID, I'm happy to have a predictable paycheck.
    I feel that. I was just on a project working with people from Sweden to Alaska so that was fun scheduling calls! But if I can do this all from home, I'm ok with that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Happy Juneteenth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Happy Juneteenth!!!
    Indeed. If you know anyone who doesn't know the significance of the date, urge them to learn the history. If everyone had an unvarnished view of our troubled history with slavery and the aftermath (which by historical standards does not go very far back at all)—along with a dose of emotional intelligence—then a lot of the issues that have plagued this country could be fixed.

Two excellent reads are Doris Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" (about the issues Lincoln had to contend with as he tried to keep and bring the country back togetther) and Ibram X. Kendi's "Stamped From The Beginning."
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Fri. Nite = the wife and I, with her cookin', will have a home cooked meal of some sort. She says she's surprising me, the last time that happened (33 years ago), our daughter was born LOL.
    Sat. Nite = dinner with friends @ "Thai Rock". A Thai restaurant on the ocean in Rockaway, Queens.
    Sunday = the daughter I mentioned above is taking us for a Father's Day brunch @ "Benchmark" in Brooklyn. Then we're going peddle-boat riding in Prospect Park lake.

A full week-end as I don't want to regret leaving warm days like these for the future. In the Broadway musical "Gigi" there's a song, "I'm glad I'm not young anymore." In it is a line, "forevermore is shorter than before", yes it is so I'm luvin' every day I can until they throw dirt on me (if you know what I mean). BTW, I luv all you RSRers ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Happy Juneteenth!!!
    Drink!!!

At least I hope it's a drinking holiday. And fireworks too?!?!

Long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    She says she's surprising me, the last time that happened (33 years ago), our daughter was born LOL.
    Hey, congrats to you and your wife, BC, on your newest expectant bundle of joy. (See what happens when you ply her with Bombay martinis?)
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Fri. Nite = the wife and I, with her cookin', will have a home cooked meal of some sort. She says she's surprising me, the last time that happened (33 years ago), our daughter was born LOL.
    Sat. Nite = dinner with friends @ "Thai Rock". A Thai restaurant on the ocean in Rockaway, Queens.
    Sunday = the daughter I mentioned above is taking us for a Father's Day brunch @ "Benchmark" in Brooklyn. Then we're going peddle-boat riding in Prospect Park lake.

A full week-end as I don't want to regret leaving warm days like these for the future. In the Broadway musical "Gigi" there's a song, "I'm glad I'm not young anymore." In it is a line, "forevermore is shorter than before", yes it is so I'm luvin' every day I can until they throw dirt on me (if you know what I mean). BTW, I luv all you RSRers ... Bc
    I completely agree with enjoying every moment. I do have to say that I am jealous when I see some of the talented young people out there. I hear lyrics like these and can't believe how insightful an 18 year old kid can be. Cynical, yes but completely on point in a way that my generation never was. I do wish I was born 30 years later

I'm so insecure, I think
    That I'll die before I drink
    And I'm so caught up in the news
    Of who likes me and who hates you
    And I'm so tired that I might
    Quit my job, start a new life
    And they'd all be so disappointed
    'Cause who am I, if not exploited?

And I'm so sick of 17
    Where's my fucking teenage dream?
    If someone tells me one more time
    "Enjoy your youth, " I'm gonna cry