Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamar Extension

Re: Lamar Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I bet Allen signs this year, Mayfield needs to prove something more. The Bills might want to see more out of Allen because his success is more lately than over his whole time in Buffalo. But I believe the Bills believe Allen has it and will be willing to lock him up sooner than later.

As for Jackson, Mayfield's contract (unless the Browns FO goes nuts) should be less than Allen's or Jackson's and not really comparable. Allen is likely to get something in the Mahomes/Jackson/Dak area. Mayfied might but he will need another really good year to get it.
    The Turds have waited forever and a day to find a franchise QB and make it into the postseason. They did that then beat Pittsburgh.

Mayfields getting paid at least 35 million a year based off that alone but they for sure need to keep Chubb.

So the thread was started 6/17. I'll be interested to see how many days it takes from there.

Blog Entries

This has nothing to do with it. The low cap this year doesn't matter. His cap number this year won't change and will only change next year to help spread the hit of the later years over more time. If any of the cap is this year it will only because the Ravens want it to fall that way.
    The low cap this year matters for every player in the NFL. It's held salaries down. If every team has $20 million more cap space do you really think that star players won't get an inordinate percentage of that increase? They always do. Signing a star player this year for any team will save significant money over next year and especially 2 years from now. That's the big one where the new TV money kicks in and the Covid cap limit compromise expires. Watch Kyler Murray get $50 million a year in 2023

This has nothing to do with it. The low cap this year doesn't matter. His cap number this year won't change and will only change next year to help spread the hit of the later years over more time. If any of the cap is this year it will only because the Ravens want it to fall that way.
    This is not correct.
    Lamar’s base salary this year is only “about” $2m.
    We could not give him virtually any signing bonus without significantly raising his 2021 Cap number.

DeShaun Watson is the most direct example, when he signed his extension(before his 4th season) his cap number roughly tripled.

Without money now, why would he sign an extension?

This year’s cap, is virtually the ONLY reason that Mayfield, Allen and LJ8 will all wait until next offseason.

Someone could bring up Patrick Mahomes, and yes, if we re-set the market and give him almost nothing now, and yet he still opts to sign the deal out of the goodness of his heart, it CAN happen as you suggest, but unless you massively overpay and guarantee hundreds of millions of dollars there isn’t much reason for him to accept the deal structured in this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    This is not correct.
    We could not give him virtually any signing bonus without significantly raising his 2021 Cap number.

DeShaun Watson is the most direct example, when he signed his extension(before his 4th season) his cap number roughly tripled.

So instead of giving him a signing bonus, you give him that same amount of money in an option bonus due on March 1st 2022. Doesn't impact this year's cap at all, and get's pro-rated over the next 5 years of his contract (years 2-6). This is a pretty easy fix.

In answer to your 2nd question - there are a number of reasons he might be amenable to singing a contract now and waiting a few months for his big windfall. Most notably if the bonus was fully guaranteed, including for injury. He goes into the season knowing he is guaranteed to be set for life, even if the worst happens.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    So instead of giving him a signing bonus, you give him that same amount of money in an option bonus due on March 1st 2022. Doesn't impact this year's cap at all, and get's pro-rated over the next 5 years of his contract (years 2-6). This is a pretty easy fix.

In answer to your 2nd question - there are a number of reasons he might be amenable to singing a contract now and waiting a few months for his big windfall. Most notably if the bonus was fully guaranteed, including for injury. He goes into the season knowing he is guaranteed to be set for life, even if the worst happens.
    Sure, but why would Lamar sign a deal with no new money for a year? That’s not an answer unless he says yes, and there is no good reason he would do so. Even Mahomes got like $10m at signing even though he completely obliterated the record for largest contract ever.

Look at Deshaun’s deal, add 10% that’s what he might sign today.

After Dak, he knows he is set for life no matter what happens.

This is why these deals aren’t getting done, neither side wants them done this year, both sides want to wait until next year, and should. There is no benefit to rushing things for either side.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The low cap this year matters for every player in the NFL. It's held salaries down. If every team has $20 million more cap space do you really think that star players won't get an inordinate percentage of that increase? They always do. Signing a star player this year for any team will save significant money over next year and especially 2 years from now. That's the big one where the new TV money kicks in and the Covid cap limit compromise expires. Watch Kyler Murray get $50 million a year in 2023
    Nobody signing a long term deal like Jackson is going to be affected now by this cap. His cap for this year, if he signed tomorrow, would likely not change or would very little. It might not even affect next year that much since it will be an extension rather than a replacement of the current contract. The Ravens may want his number to be bigger next year to lessen the out years but he will get near Mahomes money whether he signs now or next off season.

This is not correct.

This year’s cap, is virtually the ONLY reason that Mayfield, Allen and LJ8 will all wait until next offseason.

Someone could bring up Patrick Mahomes, and yes, if we re-set the market and give him almost nothing now, and yet he still opts to sign the deal out of the goodness of his heart, it CAN happen as you suggest, but unless you massively overpay and guarantee hundreds of millions of dollars there isn’t much reason for him to accept the deal structured in this way.

He would sign now to get guaranteed money over the next several years, one. Two, even if he got a signing bonus today given it is after June 1 it may not start counting until next year. They can make the deal such that he gets guarantees and even some money now but not have it hit the cap until next year. Or they could shape the deal to have it count more this year, which they won't, but if they had excess space now they could. The deal can be done now with Jackson getting his guarantees but in such a way that it wouldn't affect this year.

All I am saying is he could be signed this year with little to no impact on the cap this year. And if I had to place a bet I think it does get done before the regular season starts.

This is why these deals aren’t getting done, neither side wants them done this year, both sides want to wait until next year, and should. There is no benefit to rushing things for either side.
    It benefits him to sign sooner rather than later to protect him in case of a severe injury that would lessen his value. It benefits the Ravens to get this out of the way so they can work on Andrews and other deals they need to get done.

He would sign now to get guaranteed money over the next several years, one. Two, even if he got a signing bonus today given it is after June 1 it may not start counting until next year. They can make the deal such that he gets guarantees and even some money now but not have it hit the cap until next year. Or they could shape the deal to have it count more this year, which they won't, but if they had excess space now they could. The deal can be done now with Jackson getting his guarantees but in such a way that it wouldn't affect this year.

All I am saying is he could be signed this year with little to no impact on the cap this year. And if I had to place a bet I think it does get done before the regular season starts.

It benefits him to sign sooner rather than later to protect him in case of a severe injury that would lessen his value. It benefits the Ravens to get this out of the way so they can work on Andrews and other deals they need to get done.
    I mean, you are clearly counting on his mom being an idiot and talking him into a terrible deal, in that case, sure it can be done.

I would bet infinite RSR bucks none of the three get done this year. It’s bad business for all 6 parties, like not by a little bit... a LOT bit, on all sides.

It’s almost like Dak Prescott’s injury and subsequent contract signing didn’t happen according to this thread, everyone keeps mentioning injury killing his financial future but Dak’s foot almost fell off and he signed the same deal as if he was healthy, won MVP and the SB...

I mean, you are clearly counting on his mom being an idiot and talking him into a terrible deal, in that case, sure it can be done.

I would bet infinite RSR bucks none of the three get done this year. It’s bad business for all 6 parties, like not by a little bit... a LOT bit, on all sides.

It’s almost like Dak Prescott’s injury and subsequent contract signing didn’t happen according to this thread, everyone keeps mentioning injury killing his financial future but Dak’s foot almost fell off and he signed the same deal as if he was healthy, won MVP and the SB...

Tbf, Dak wasn't exactly known for his running.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Nobody signing a long term deal like Jackson is going to be affected now by this cap. His cap for this year, if he signed tomorrow, would likely not change or would very little. It might not even affect next year that much since it will be an extension rather than a replacement of the current contract. The Ravens may want his number to be bigger next year to lessen the out years but he will get near Mahomes money whether he signs now or next off season.
    Forget his salary against the cap for a a particular year. The issue is total amount of money going to all players this year vs. next year vs. 2023. The players get a percentage of revenue. Revenue was down because of Covid. The NFL and the NFLPA came to an agreement to spread that lowered amount over 2 seasons. The players are getting a smaller amount as whole than they did last year because of this.

Next season there will be at least $20 million more per team that goes to the players. In 2023 is could be as much as $30 million more than 2022. That's potentially $50 million more per team. History has shown that this money tends to go to the top players more than bringing up the salaries of the mid-level players. Agents know this. They are trying to get their top guys in a position to hit free agency for 2022 or 2023.

That's why you saw Allen Robinson sign that Franchise tag after originally being pissed. It's why Jimmy G. is okay play with the 49ers drafting his replacement as long as he gets a chance to show what he can do on the field before he's gone. They want to hit the market in 2022 or even better in 2023 because that's going to mean much bigger money. You can see smart teams like the Chiefs preparing for this and dumb ones like the Packers let the cash flow of 2021 screw up their team for 2022.

That doesn't mean Lamar won't get paid this year but it's not going to be as much as he would get next year. That's why it's worth it to the Ravens to close this deal in 2021. I'd follow the model of the Chiefs and get a very long term deal for what is big money today but won't be in 2023

I am NOT counting on his mom being an idiot. Yes, this year is a down cap year, but both sides have a very good idea of what the cap is going to be over the next several years. If he signed right now it could have very little impact on this year.

It's all about guarantees. If he is guaranteed excellent money for the next 5 years but it get counted cap wise starting next year why does he care?

If the Ravens offer him Mahomes contract but with the cap hits starting next year would he or his mom be an idiot to sign that now and remove the possibility of a very bad injury lowering his value next year? Of course not.

There is a contract that can be done that would satisfy both sides that doesn't require idiocy from anybody.

You all are way too hung up on this year's cap. They can sign a contract for the exact same money and guarantees now that they would in February and not effect this year's cap at all.

And my guess is both sides want to get it done.