Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamar Extension

1. Re: Lamar Extension

Quote Originally Posted by TDLand View Post
    Get him done now so he can concentrate on winning Super Bowls.
    And so we can also move on to the next contract - ManDrews.

Blog Entries

Re: Lamar Extension

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    But have they seen enough to throw away about $7-8m in cap space this year that they don’t have just to save $2k in cap space each of the next 4 years?

I mean if he’s going to sign for under $40m/yr sure... but he won’t so why not wait? I sont believe the number actually increases by waiting, no matter the outcome of the season. Even if he breaks his ankle a la Dak he will still get what he will get, which is damn close to a record breaking contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are always so close to having a good understanding of the cap and yet you always end up wrong.

This is likely wishful thinking, but the way that Lamar speaks so highly about TB12, I am wondering if he really understands how impactful it was for Brady's career in opting for 'team-friendly' deals. Is an extra couple million going to make you that much happier if you're getting killed because the front office can't put together a decent team because of your cap costs?

I understand that Brady had a wife making more money than he was, but the concept is still the same. We'll see how it plays out, hopefully soon enough.

The Brady thing was a one time deal that will never happen again. If anything it shows exactly why you shouldn’t take less because Bill ended up just taking the entire situation for granted and was working to replace Brady while he was taking less money “for the team.”

Blog Entries

I do wonder if there would even be discussions on an extension if Lamar had an agent. The cap is going up possibly $20 million next year and then even more in 2022. Star player all want to be free agents in 2022. Getting Lamar done now is about the best move the Ravens can make. You won't see Mayfield or Allen signing anything before 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I do wonder if there would even be discussions on an extension if Lamar had an agent. The cap is going up possibly $20 million next year and then even more in 2022. Star player all want to be free agents in 2022. Getting Lamar done now is about the best move the Ravens can make. You won't see Mayfield or Allen signing anything before 2022
    If the Browns and Bills wait until the caps goes up to sign their franchise QBs, that's just dumb. Every year that passes, the deals get more expensive. Throw in sweeteners and whatever else you need to do to get these guys to sign now. It's a unique situation that really only applies to QBs. If you already know you are going to keep them, waiting nets you absolutely nothing because of the very fact that the cap will go up and other QBs will sign in the meantime. So not only does the cap go up, but the floor of a new QB contract goes up every time a franchise QB signs a deal. Be bold, be first, be done. Even if the deal gets derided, it will get surpassed by the very next deal that gets signed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I think they should try to get 1 more cheap year out of him before they sign him to the block buster deal.
    whatever extension they give him will likely be added on to what he is making this year and next then the real contract wont kick in until 2023 after his rookie deal is up. we would just need to account for some bonus money now depending on how they structure the bonuses.

You won't see Mayfield or Allen signing anything before 2022
    The question I don't have the answer to is, where does LJ fit in this queue? My general understanding is that an agent will want to wait for the "lessor" player at his guy's position to sign first, and then that becomes the starting point for the next level up.

By that thinking I'd have to think Mayfield has to get done first, and probably Allen too, pending whatever might happen this upcoming year. Maybe they all hold out waiting to become "the man" of the group.

And if you factor in a delayed cap increase, it seems like it may entirely unrealistic to think LJ gets done. OTOH, Lamar doesn't have a traditional agent that we're aware of, so maybe he breaks the mold...again.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The Brady thing was a one time deal that will never happen again. If anything it shows exactly why you shouldn’t take less because Bill ended up just taking the entire situation for granted and was working to replace Brady while he was taking less money “for the team.”

It will eventually come out about Brady's side deals with Kraft to offset taking less in salary. All that TB12 clinic money was there.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post

It will eventually come out about the side deals Kraft had with Brady to take less salary. It was in the TB12 clinic.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

This has nothing to do with it. The low cap this year doesn't matter. His cap number this year won't change and will only change next year to help spread the hit of the later years over more time. If any of the cap is this year it will only because the Ravens want it to fall that way.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

You won't see Mayfield or Allen signing anything before 2022
    I bet Allen signs this year, Mayfield needs to prove something more. The Bills might want to see more out of Allen because his success is more lately than over his whole time in Buffalo. But I believe the Bills believe Allen has it and will be willing to lock him up sooner than later.

As for Jackson, Mayfield's contract (unless the Browns FO goes nuts) should be less than Allen's or Jackson's and not really comparable. Allen is likely to get something in the Mahomes/Jackson/Dak area. Mayfied might but he will need another really good year to get it.