Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamar Extension

Blog Entries

Lamar Extension

I read that they are expected to get Lamar into a new contract before training camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Lamar Extension

He already has a unanimous MVP trophy in his case and the team has been to the playoffs every year since he became the starter. Waiting will only make it more expensive unless he got hurt, which no one wants. Makes all the sense in the world to just get it done now and move on. The only caveat might be if he and his mom want to wait and see what Allen and/or Mayfield sign for. But ultimately, does that even really matter? They are all going to get stupid money and all their teams will structure it in a way that allows it to be revisited after 3 years or so to see if it needs to be adjusted.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    He already has a unanimous MVP trophy in his case and the team has been to the playoffs every year since he became the starter. Waiting will only make it more expensive unless he got hurt, which no one wants. Makes all the sense in the world to just get it done now and move on. The only caveat might be if he and his mom want to wait and see what Allen and/or Mayfield sign for. But ultimately, does that even really matter? They are all going to get stupid money and all their teams will structure it in a way that allows it to be revisited after 3 years or so to see if it needs to be adjusted.
    Mayfield will likely not get done until after this year. The Browns want to see consistency before committing unless he signs a team friendly deal the Browns can get out of.

One of Jackson or Allen has to go first. You have Mahomes and other contracts to go off of so I don't think it is that important who is next.

Blog Entries

I'd rather get Lamar done before Allen or Mayfield.

Let the Ravens set the bar...don't let Mayfield or Allen set the bar.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If Mayfield gets a similar contract to Lamar or Allen then the Browns are in a world of trouble, lol. He is not in their class of player.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'd rather get Lamar done before Allen or Mayfield.

Let the Ravens set the bar...don't let Mayfield or Allen set the bar.
    I think letting Mayfield go first could benefit the Ravens. He's the worst of the 3 and even though it's Cleveland, their FO seems to have gotten their heads out of their asses and would be unlikely to sign an unprecedented type deal. Then again, first QB to consistently start and get them to the playoffs finally - they might get stupid. I honestly think Lamar winning the MVP puts him closer to Mahomes territory than it does to Mayfield/Allen, but i always get this kind of shit wrong so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I think letting Mayfield go first could benefit the Ravens. He's the worst of the 3 and even though it's Cleveland, their FO seems to have gotten their heads out of their asses and would be unlikely to sign an unprecedented type deal. Then again, first QB to consistently start and get them to the playoffs finally - they might get stupid. I honestly think Lamar winning the MVP puts him closer to Mahomes territory than it does to Mayfield/Allen, but i always get this kind of shit wrong so who knows.
    I tend to agree with this. The Mahomes deal is tough to compare to because it was a 10 year deal. Say you give Lamar a 6 year deal. You can make the case that the average $ per year doesn't need to be as high as the Mahomes deal to match the value of it because Lamar will get another payday when the cap is higher.

That leaves Allen or Mayfield as a potentially a better comp in a negotiation. Mayfield isn't as good, so, unless the Browns go crazy, it shouldn't be a high hurdle to offer Lamar a better deal than Mayfield's. Allen is coming off a huge season. If he beats the $40m/yr mark set by Dak Prescott, then Lamar will expect to be compensated around Allen's level. Ring now Lamar might expect to match or beat $40m/yr.

EDIT: Of course the practical flaw with this thinking is that we can't control whether Mayfield or Allen goes first. So the safest bet may be to do a deal earlier in the offseason (if we plan to do one this offseason) so we dodge any potential inflation from a big Allen contract.

I think they should try to get 1 more cheap year out of him before they sign him to the block buster deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I think they should try to get 1 more cheap year out of him before they sign him to the block buster deal.
    No way. Raven's got bit in the ass hard last time they left the door open for a QB to prove it. If the Ravens win the Super Bowl this year, Lamar will easily cost 20% more.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    No way. Raven's got bit in the ass hard last time they left the door open for a QB to prove it. If the Ravens win the Super Bowl this year, Lamar will easily cost 20% more.
    Yeah. Lamar's an NFL MVP that took the team to the postseason in three straight years, twice of those as the AFC North champion and he's only 24. The Ravens don't need him winning the Super Bowl and putting their balls in a vise.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Yeah. Lamar's an NFL MVP that took the team to the postseason in three straight years, twice of those as the AFC North champion and he's only 24. The Ravens don't need him winning the Super Bowl and putting their balls in a vise.
    That's what I'm saying...actually the unanimous mvp already puts one ball in the vice, no need to wait a year to put the other one in. Plus the sooner you get it done, the sooner it will fade into the middle or bottom of top 10 QB deals. If Russel Wilson holds up another season he's going to get paid again. If ARod gets to another NFCCG or puts up another mvp season or gets traded, he actually will get paid again. Then you'll have Daniel Jones, Kyler Murray and Justin Herbert coming down the pipe in a few years plus a likely Mahomes restructuring.

Get him done now so he can concentrate on winning Super Bowls.