Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Free agent wishes...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    So... are they going to wait until after the season starts or something?

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    DL is my biggest concern on this team right now.
    More than Pass rusher? That's surprising to me.

I wish they'd drafted a young DL with an eye to the future but NFL rosters are a year to year thing and the interior D Line looks OK for this year. Campbell, Williams, Wolfe and Madubiuke look like 4 genuine starting quality players with Ellis, Washington and Crawford competing for back up roles.

At Edge/OLB it looks like they have 2 questionable starters (McPhee- age, health, Bowser - not a pure rusher), 2 rookies and borderline roster player in Ferguson. I can see how the future might look brighter at this position, but in 2021, I don't think it's close in terms of concern level.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    I'd be interested in PJ Hall, assuming he is healthy.

Baltimore would be his first healthy organization.
    Could learn from our savvy vets.
    Could compete against some guys on the bubble.

Assuming he's healthy, it seems like no-risk/all-reward acquisition.

Count him out. Charged with assault.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Count him out. Charged with assault.
    According to a report, the complaint reads Hall caused "bodily injury by pushing the Complainant with his hand."

Released on $1,000 bond.

Neither the amount of the bond or the description of contact are terrifying.

Oh well. Need more facts.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    More than Pass rusher? That's surprising to me.

I wish they'd drafted a young DL with an eye to the future but NFL rosters are a year to year thing and the interior D Line looks OK for this year. Campbell, Williams, Wolfe and Madubiuke look like 4 genuine starting quality players with Ellis, Washington and Crawford competing for back up roles.

At Edge/OLB it looks like they have 2 questionable starters (McPhee- age, health, Bowser - not a pure rusher), 2 rookies and borderline roster player in Ferguson. I can see how the future might look brighter at this position, but in 2021, I don't think it's close in terms of concern level.
    Yep, more than pass rusher. Ravens have a lot of talented young players on the edge, I really like Bowser who is still young and Oweh/Hayes will grow into their roles. Plus this is extremely important for Wink's scheme - the ILBs are really good pass rushers too. And then there's still the veteran presence of Pernell McPhee.

DL has more talent than EDGE right now, today, but it is thin and 3 of the top 4 players are old. We saw what happened last season when Campbell and B-Will were injured and it wasn't pretty.

Yep, more than pass rusher. Ravens have a lot of talented young players on the edge, I really like Bowser who is still young and Oweh/Hayes will grow into their roles. Plus this is extremely important for Wink's scheme - the ILBs are really good pass rushers too. And then there's still the veteran presence of Pernell McPhee.

DL has more talent than EDGE right now, today, but it is thin and 3 of the top 4 players are old. We saw what happened last season when Campbell and B-Will were injured and it wasn't pretty.
    You know your stuff WNC but this doesn't add up to me.

I agree about the ILBs being good rushers and I worry too about the age of the D Line going forward but I think it's still clearly the better unit for 2021. (I wish we'd used the Mason pick on one of the DL players still on the board.)

I like Bowser too, but he's never been a big sack threat and we don't know how he'll cope with being the No 1 guy. We also don't know yet whether Oweh, Hayes or Ferguson "will grow into their roles" or not. If we're going to worry about injury risk, McPhee has probably missed more games through injury than the 3 old D Linemen combined, .

Maybe Oweh will hit the ground running or Ferguson will develop but, if neither happens, that will look like a position that's crying out for a FA veteran.

I'm assuming you like the top 4 at IDL as players. If we added a FA to that group, would there be enough snaps to be worth it? I'm not as worried about some combination of Ellis, Washington, Crawford filling that remaining depth chart as I am about the pass rush. (Then there's always Ricard if they need an emergency player in the interior.)

I agree about the ILBs being good rushers and I worry too about the age of the D Line going forward but I think it's still clearly the better unit for 2021. (I wish we'd used the Mason pick on one of the DL players still on the board.)

I like Bowser too, but he's never been a big sack threat and we don't know how he'll cope with being the No 1 guy. We also don't know yet whether Oweh, Hayes or Ferguson "will grow into their roles" or not. If we're going to worry about injury risk, McPhee has probably missed more games through injury than the 3 old D Linemen combined, .

Maybe Oweh will hit the ground running or Ferguson will develop but, if neither happens, that will look like a position that's crying out for a FA veteran.

I'm assuming you like the top 4 at IDL as players. If we added a FA to that group, would there be enough snaps to be worth it? I'm not as worried about some combination of Ellis, Washington, Crawford filling that remaining depth chart as I am about the pass rush. (Then there's always Ricard if they need an emergency player in the interior.)

Your last paragraph hits the nail on the head. I'm also comfortable "this year" with Ellis, Washington and Crawford supplementing the Big 4 in an IDL rotation. I am apprehensive as hell that two rookies can be immediate impact players on the edge or Bowser can develop into anything more than he's shown. For me, Ferguson doesn't even play into the equation. He's not good. Before anyone says anything about "going into year 4" guys like Z'Darius, Paul Kruger, Judon, etc. , he has shown nowhere near the skillset those guys showed their first three years. If we're serious about making a run this year, I think the situation screams for a Justin Houston signing. He was more productive then Judon or Ngakoue last year. He'd be an upgrade.

Appreciate ya; it's all good

Yeah I don't want to be mistaken for not wanting another EDGE... There are potential issues here. Bowser should stay in his all-around LB role. Pass rush is the weakest part of Oweh's game but I feel he will get better even by the end of his rookie season. Hayes is like Bowser. Ferguson should be emulating what McPhee does - I would still like to see him in more 3 pt stances on the LOS. Would still like to see Aaron Adeoye get some live snaps.

Justin Houston would be a solid addition to the team and so would Melvin Ingram if he ever gets healthy.

I would add someone for the purpose of limiting the snaps for Campbell, Williams and Wolfe. Someone who can get a lot of rotational snaps and step in due to the inevitable injury. Not concerned about Madubuike (knock on wood). Ellis is no better than "okay". Now if Washington, Crawford, Rivers, or Swann step up for the Ravens it would be great news for us. I feel the Ravens are one good player short for over the course of the season.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 06-20-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Blog Entries

I would add someone for the purpose of limiting the snaps for Campbell, Williams and Wolfe. Someone who can get a lot of rotational snaps and step in due to the inevitable injury. Not concerned about Madubuike (knock on wood). Ellis is no better than "okay". Now if Washington, Crawford, Rivers, or Swann step up for the Ravens it would be great news for us. I feel the Ravens are one good player short for over the course of the season.
    I'm with you as far as adding DL goes. Outside of the top 3 you mentioned above the DL group is a bunch of guys who are just bodies.

The way I see the top 3: Campbell wasn't what I expected last year. Maybe its COVID related maybe he's just losing the battle with father time but i expected more impact especially in the interior rush. Wolfe was a stud for the DL last year but he was a one man gang at times and is also getting up there in years. Willliams is a stud but he's a 1-trick pony. Madubuike is the only DL i'm excited to see play.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I'm with you as far as adding DL goes. Outside of the top 3 you mentioned above the DL group is a bunch of guys who are just bodies.

The way I see the top 3: Campbell wasn't what I expected last year. Maybe its COVID related maybe he's just losing the battle with father time but i expected more impact especially in the interior rush. Wolfe was a stud for the DL last year but he was a one man gang at times and is also getting up there in years. Willliams is a stud but he's a 1-trick pony. Madubuike is the only DL i'm excited to see play.
    Campbell is like the last version of Suggs....in decline, but smart and capable of making big plays....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Campbell is like the last version of Suggs....in decline, but smart and capable of making big plays....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Injury was worse than reported, effectiveness was limited after his comeback - didn't seem fully healed. Still - did exactly what he was brought in for - making sure Derrick Henry didn't run our asses out of the building again.

Oweh's ceiling is spectacular. He needs to play a lot. Ferguson is looking better and deserves snaps. Bowser and Hayes look set. McPhee is still good.

Oweh also has a rare quality - being bigger and faster than Lawrence Taylor - a potential for making a big play not only against Mahomes, but also against the slow Mayfield.

On the DL, we went 10-2 with Campbell healthy last year. He is a devoted pro and I think we will get one more strong year out of him. But BWill could slow down anytime, and Wolfe has pneumonia. We could use some more quality to go with Madubuike.

If I were EDC, I would want to have a continued close look at the kids, and everyone's health, in TC and an early preseason game before committing to buying a vet rusher.

The long 17 game regular season is the strongest argument for going after Justin Houston. It is also a strong argument for signing Geno Atkins.

As it stands now, I am guessing we need Atkins more (assuming he is declared healthy July 1)
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)