Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: How Anti Racism Hurts Black People - John McWhorter

Quote Originally Posted by Drain Bamage View Post
    *Gets asked what about your experience*

Q: Does my experience support the existence of institutional racism?
    If yes, explain it
    If no, avoid it

That's what I see. Change my mind
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Bruh I don't go anywhere I don't have business. I've had the cops called twice on me (and my brother detained, my other friend got chased by a guy with a knife) in all white neighborhoods while selling books. I've never had any trouble whatsoever in the hood. My reality is not yours.

There's a reason why certain places are "sundown towns" for certain folk even though the place is usually crime free.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Hey... It's your credibility... do with it as you please.

If you think you're convincing people that it's safer to walk through Detroit, Chicago, Washington DC, Baltimore, St. Louis, Camden, than it is to walk through most American suburbs... it's small wonder people just roll their eyes at your nonsense.

Bruh I don't go anywhere I don't have business. I've had the cops called twice on me (and my brother detained, my other friend got chased by a guy with a knife) in all white neighborhoods while selling books. I've never had any trouble whatsoever in the hood. My reality is not yours.

There's a reason why certain places are "sundown towns" for certain folk even though the place is usually crime free.

I lived in Baltimore City for almost 20 years. I've had friends violently robbed at gunpoint, jumped and beaten by multiple black men, a woman raped at knifepoint. My car was stolen twice. I never once felt safe at night. In all cases the victims were white and the perps were young black men. In one case the person attacked died.

Sorry you got the police called on you, but I'm guessing you didn't attack the police and everything worked out. I've had several encounters with asshole police officers as well, and I am white. In one, the cop was screaming in my face and trying to get me to give him a reason to arrest me. I didn't give him that reason, and I got to go home.

The victims I mentioned never got that chance because they were violently attacked just for walking in their neighborhood at night.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    I lived in Baltimore City for almost 20 years. I've had friends violently robbed at gunpoint, jumped and beaten by multiple black men, a woman raped at knifepoint. My car was stolen twice. I never once felt safe at night. In all cases the victims were white and the perps were young black men. In one case the person attacked died.

Sorry you got the police called on you, but I'm guessing you didn't attack the police and everything worked out. I've had several encounters with asshole police officers as well, and I am white. In one, the cop was screaming in my face and trying to get me to give him a reason to arrest me. I didn't give him that reason, and I got to go home.

The victims I mentioned never got that chance because they were violently attacked just for walking in their neighborhood at night.

That's really unfortunate brother. I'm sad that you had that experience in the city. I'm fortunate that your reality hasn't been mine.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Hey... It's your credibility... do with it as you please.

If you think you're convincing people that it's safer to walk through Detroit, Chicago, Washington DC, Baltimore, St. Louis, Camden, than it is to walk through most American suburbs... it's small wonder people just roll their eyes at your nonsense.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone, I'm just saying what my experience has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Drain Bamage View Post
    *Gets asked what about your experience*

Q: Does my experience support the existence of institutional racism?
    If yes, explain it
    If no, avoid it

That's what I see. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    What does my personal experience have anything to do with structural systems. When have I ever used a personal anecdote to support my claims of structural racism?

I'm not trying to convince anyone, I'm just saying what my experience has been.

You are trying to convince people that systemic racism exists.

You are attempting to do this by stating that Black People are unfairly and disproportionately policed.

It has been pointed out to you that Young Black Men are both victimized by, and commit a significantly disproportionate amount of violent crime.

You challenged this assertion.

I suggested that you would not subject your family to the unsafe conditions in crime-ridden inner-city neighborhoods, because you know that what I am saying is true.

You then proceeded to hand-wave, genuflect, obfuscate, and tell us things that really don't address the subject at hand.

If you had the courage to simply acknowledge that Young Black Men commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime, and that this makes many American cities unsafe, and that this might also account for disproportionate policing... you might have salvaged some of your credibility.

But you can't and won't acknowledge even obvious truths. Because you're not interested in the truth. You are a zealot and a propagandist.

You know that what you are saying is untrue. But you believe that your cause is righteous, and therefore are willing to engage in fundamentally dishonest behavior in defense of it. I find this to be common behavior among people who have fundamentally hard left leanings... And in fact it (deception) is a fundamental political tenet of those whose politics you happen to share.

But let's not pretend you're fooling anyone.. You're not even a particularly skilled propagandist.

I'd have to disagree with you concerning Cornel West. MED pisses me off to no end with how he can say absolutely nothing while somehow getting 5,000 words per minute out of his mouth, but I believe West is the continuation of the line of thinking proposed by MLK, Fred Hampton, Kwame Ture and the like with regards to his solutions.

I think you're thinking of Michael Eric Dyson. I feel like Cornel West is very eloquent and says a lot in his commentary.

That's really unfortunate brother. I'm sad that you had that experience in the city. I'm fortunate that your reality hasn't been mine.

I have also had a white friend wrongfully arrested for being in the wrong place and the wrong time. I'm sorry for all of these experiences, both yours and the ones I know of.

I will also point out that I believe your experiences and mine have been different in the city because of race. In many cases the people were targeted because they were white. Please look up Zach Sowers if you want to see how structural racism can work in the city.

What does my personal experience have anything to do with structural systems. When have I ever used a personal anecdote to support my claims of structural racism?

You used your own experience to support your argument that Black people are unfairly and disproportionately policed.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    You are trying to convince people that systemic racism exists.

You are attempting to do this by stating that Black People are unfairly and disproportionately policed.

It has been pointed out to you that Young Black Men are both victimized by, and commit a significantly disproportionate amount of violent crime.

You challenged this assertion.

I suggested that you would not subject your family to the unsafe conditions in crime-ridden inner-city neighborhoods, because you know that what I am saying is true.

You then proceeded to hand-wave, genuflect, obfuscate, and tell us things that really don't address the subject at hand.

If you had the courage to simply acknowledge that Young Black Men commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime, and that this makes many American cities unsafe, and that this might also account for disproportionate policing... you might have salvaged some of your credibility.

But you can't and won't acknowledge even obvious truths. Because you're not interested in the truth. You are a zealot and a propagandist.

You know that what you are saying is untrue. But you believe that your cause is righteous, and therefore are willing to engage in fundamentally dishonest behavior in defense of it. I find this to be common behavior among people who have fundamentally hard left leanings... And in fact it (deception) is a fundamental political tenet of those whose politics you happen to share.

But let's not pretend you're fooling anyone.. You're not even a particularly skilled propagandist.

You have no idea whether it's true or not, multiple studies show that in many area black crime gets policed way way harder than in any white area.

So areas where more violent crime is committed should not get policed more than areas where less violent crime is committed???? Thats just dumb