Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Jim Fassel

Re: RIP Jim Fassel

Jim Fassel taught me an expression that I occasionally still use. While listening to him being interviewed locally on the radio, Fassel was asked about living with criticism. His response: "Too many historians. Too few pioneers."

Whenever I see people take pleasure in the failure of some innovator or business leader, I think of that expression and Jim Fassel.

Thanks, Jim, for adding a new perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    Jim Fassel taught me an expression that I occasionally still use. While listening to him being interviewed locally on the radio, Fassel was asked about living with criticism. His response: "Too many historians. Too few pioneers."

Whenever I see people take pleasure in the failure of some innovator or business leader, I think of that expression and Jim Fassel.

Thanks, Jim, for adding a new perspective.
    What an excellent way to eulogize him. It makes him not forgettable. (see what I did there?)

Makes me think of Fassel's buddy, Brian Billick, who has a few memorable expressions that I like to repeat.

One is of them is Billick's response to the same sort of criticism. And that is, "have another beer, make another observation."

Billick was always more smug than Fassel.

Another Billickism I'm fond of, and I think I cited just last week, is, "son, your potential is going to get me fired someday."
    "That's what."
    — She

RIP Jim Fassel

RIP Coach Fassel . Always thought highly of him. Really good coach. Shame he was made the scape goat here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn sad day. Rip

RIP, Coach Fassel.

I had the opportunity to meet him and chat a little football at the Dolphins home game which ended the 2004 season. He was a very warm & friendly, knowledgeable guy. He openly admitted that his job of helping to build up the offense around young Kyle Boller was going to be a big challenge.

I met Coach Fassel at the end of the Ravens bench, after all the other fans on the field under courtesy visits had exited. I was the only "civilian" on the sideline, awaiting the coin toss to start the game. The only other "civilian" was a Marine, on leave: Ravenouss 52, having just returned from a tour in Iraq, who participated in the coin toss along with Kyle Boller and Ray Lewis.

This opportunity to go onto the field was created directly by our board members (the original message board was called Ravens Insiders, subsequently moving en masse to join up here at Ravens 24x7 with Tony Lombardi). Bruce Cunningham, the stadium announcer and Ch 45 sportscaster, at that time was a board participant, as were several team and NFL employees. They helped arrange Ravenous 52 getting selected for the "Captain of the Game" coin toss participation. I got to "hold his luggage" - on the sideline with Jim Fassel.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    RIP, Coach Fassel.

I had the opportunity to meet him and chat a little football at the Dolphins home game which ended the 2004 season. He was a very warm & friendly, knowledgeable guy. He openly admitted that his job of helping to build up the offense around young Kyle Boller was going to be a big challenge.

I met Coach Fassel at the end of the Ravens bench, after all the other fans on the field under courtesy visits had exited. I was the only "civilian" on the sideline, awaiting the coin toss to start the game. The only other "civilian" was a Marine, on leave: Ravenouss 52, having just returned from a tour in Iraq, who participated in the coin toss along with Kyle Boller and Ray Lewis.

This opportunity to go onto the field was created directly by our board members (the original message board was called Ravens Insiders, subsequently moving en masse to join up here at Ravens 24x7 with Tony Lombardi). Bruce Cunningham, the stadium announcer and Ch 45 sportscaster, at that time was a board participant, as were several team and NFL employees. They helped arrange Ravenous 52 getting selected for the "Captain of the Game" coin toss participation. I got to "hold his luggage" - on the sideline with Jim Fassel.
    Love the story. Thanks for sharing. It was a great tribute to Coach Fassel

Jim Fassel was a good coach. I always enjoyed the camaraderie he had with Billick. 71 is too soon.

Rest In Peace Mr. Fassel. Condolences to his loved ones.