Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Does the NFL's Legacy Content Hold any Value?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    NFL Network did a great job with interviews from many of the players talking about the game that they were showing. One of my favorites was the Ghost to the Post Raiders @ Colts playoff game. It went to OT and the they had amazing interviews with Bert Jones and Dave Casper and Fred Beletnikoff and I think Bruce Laird taking you through everything as you are watching it happen. That was a fantastic series.

The other game that I have rewatched many times was the Oilers @ Bills from 1992 in the WC round. It was the biggest comeback of all time for years and was led by current head coach Frank Reich! Warren Moon played incredible and was up 28-3 into the 3rd quarter and still lost his best chance to make a Super Bowl. If you ever get a chance definitely watch this game
    I was a big Oiler fan back then...we've lost a lot of hearbreaking games, but nothing comes close to that game for me. I knew we were losing that game midway before the 4th quarter even started, I've never seen a complete and dramatic momentum shift like that in my life. It was so surreal and was a long drawn out torture because you knew where it was headed in the 3rd quarter.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

NFL Network did a great job with interviews from many of the players talking about the game that they were showing. One of my favorites was the Ghost to the Post Raiders @ Colts playoff game. It went to OT and the they had amazing interviews with Bert Jones and Dave Casper and Fred Beletnikoff and I think Bruce Laird taking you through everything as you are watching it happen. That was a fantastic series.

The other game that I have rewatched many times was the Oilers @ Bills from 1992 in the WC round. It was the biggest comeback of all time for years and was led by current head coach Frank Reich! Warren Moon played incredible and was up 28-3 into the 3rd quarter and still lost his best chance to make a Super Bowl. If you ever get a chance definitely watch this game
    The NFL Network is not responsible for putting together shows documenting older classic games. That credit goes to “NFL Films” which was a production company begun by Ed Sabol back in the sixties and passed on to his son Steve. Sadly, both are deceased.

If it wasn’t for the interest generated by NFL Films decades ago there wouldn’t be an NFL Network - much less a modern multi-billion dollar industry which is what the NFL has become.

CCx

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I was a big Oiler fan back then...we've lost a lot of hearbreaking games, but nothing comes close to that game for me. I knew we were losing that game midway before the 4th quarter even started, I've never seen a complete and dramatic momentum shift like that in my life. It was so surreal and was a long drawn out torture because you knew where it was headed in the 3rd quarter.
    As a guy that was a freshman at UMD and on campus at Elicot dorm across from Byrd Stadium in 1984 when the Miracle in Miami happened and also to be watch that Bills Oilers playoff game with my dad... I feel blessed to have watched both games as an MD fan and NFL fan. Frank F***ing Reich!!!! Touched by the hand of GOD!!!!! I feel for your loss but what legendary games for the ages. To me, the NFL does not have that magic anymore. Our 2019 season was magical but crashed hard. The NFL needs to hope it doesn't run out of heros. I feel blessed to have still been a relatively young guy to see the football played over the last 30 years.

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    The NFL Network is not responsible for putting together shows documenting older classic games. That credit goes to “NFL Films” which was a production company begun by Ed Sabol back in the sixties and passed on to his son Steve. Sadly, both are deceased.

If it wasn’t for the interest generated by NFL Films decades ago there wouldn’t be an NFL Network - much less a modern multi-billion dollar industry which is what the NFL has become.

CCx
    Excellent post. NFL Films has been incredible and it's been that way since the Ice Bowl. They continue to produce tremendous content. Thanks for correcting my oversight.

Excellent post. NFL Films has been incredible and it's been that way since the Ice Bowl. They continue to produce tremendous content. Thanks for correcting my oversight.
    Didn’t mean it as a criticism. Just wanted to educate younger fans.

7. Re: Does the NFL's Legacy Content Hold any Value?

To refresh your memory, it still is the considered the greatest NFL comeback of all time, at least in terms of deficit. The fact that it happened in the postseason is just the cherry on top! That is besides the eerily similar scenario of the previous collegiate comeback also led by Frank Reich at the QB helm during his tenure with the Maryland Terrapins.

Anyway, Warren Moon actually threw 4 touchdowns in the first half alone to put the Houston Oilers up huge! The score at halftime was 28-3. Then, not all that long into the 3rd quarter (if I recollect correctly from memory), Reich threw a pick-six to make it 35-3, all seemingly within a nightmarish blink of an eye for those fans attending Orchard Park that day — many of whom left early, but lots eventually stormed the gates to get back in and witness history.

Hence, it became a 32-point comeback victory for the Buffalo Bills when all was said & done. Perhaps the only contest that even remotely compares (or maybe tops it in many people's opinions, I'm sure) is the New England Patriots' rally/win against the Atlanta Falcons amid Super Bowl LI, simply because it was indeed the SB — plus in the midst of the Pats' second dynasty, at that — rather than "merely" an AFC Wild Card Round game.

Blog Entries

They showcase that game in a great 30 for 30 called the Four Falls of Buffalo - reviews their four superbowl visits and all losses. Very good show

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    As a guy that was a freshman at UMD and on campus at Elicot dorm across from Byrd Stadium in 1984 when the Miracle in Miami happened and also to be watch that Bills Oilers playoff game with my dad... I feel blessed to have watched both games as an MD fan and NFL fan. Frank F***ing Reich!!!! Touched by the hand of GOD!!!!! I feel for your loss but what legendary games for the ages. To me, the NFL does not have that magic anymore. Our 2019 season was magical but crashed hard. The NFL needs to hope it doesn't run out of heros. I feel blessed to have still been a relatively young guy to see the football played over the last 30 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ View Post
    To refresh your memory, it still is the considered the greatest NFL comeback of all time, at least in terms of deficit. The fact that it happened in the postseason is just the cherry on top! That is besides the eerily similar scenario of the previous collegiate comeback also led by Frank Reich at the QB helm during his tenure with the Maryland Terrapins.

Anyway, Warren Moon actually threw 4 touchdowns in the first half alone to put the Houston Oilers up huge! The score at halftime was 28-3. Then, not all that long into the 3rd quarter (if I recollect correctly from memory), Reich threw a pick-six to make it 35-3, all seemingly within a nightmarish blink of an eye for those fans attending Orchard Park that day — many of whom left early, but lots eventually stormed the gates to get back in and witness history.

Hence, it became a 32-point comeback victory for the Buffalo Bills when all was said & done. Perhaps the only contest that even remotely compares (or maybe tops it in many people's opinions, I'm sure) is the New England Patriots' rally/win against the Atlanta Falcons amid Super Bowl LI, simply because it was indeed the SB — plus in the midst of the Pats' second dynasty, at that — rather than "merely" an AFC Wild Card Round game.

What was so wild to me watching that game was that we went up 35-3 during the 3rd quarter on that early pick 6, yet before the 4th quarter even started, it was a one possession game. Could you imagine having a lead like that in the 3rd quarter and it basically being completely gone in the same quarter.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    What was so wild to me watching that game was that we went up 35-3 during the 3rd quarter on that early pick 6, yet before the 4th quarter even started, it was a one possession game. Could you imagine having a lead like that in the 3rd quarter and it basically being completely gone in the same quarter.
    When he was at Maryland, Frank Reich brought them back from a 0-30 halftime score to win 42-40 in Miami. Crazy that it's the same QB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Didn’t mean it as a criticism. Just wanted to educate younger fans.
    No worries. That's exactly how I took it. It's important to get credit to those who deserve it.

What's funny is the one time I was suspended from this forum was because I got into a fight with a now former mod because I posted a RIP thread for Steve Sabol. This guy said he had no connection to the Ravens so he moved it off this board. I was pissed since Steve Sabol had connections to whole damn league. He and his father where essential into it growing into what it is today. He didn't like being questioned and I glad he's no longer here.

Blog Entries

NFLN showing Broncos at Chiefs from a few years ago. Marcus Peters just got a pick six on Manning. Entertaining game