Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens sign Ja'waun James

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    EDC is playing the long game. Someone who can help us this year is not going to want to have his deal backloaded. Would you take it? Probably not
    James has been playing the long con on NFL teams for awhile. He played 64 snaps for the Broncos after signing his massive deal.

More free money for him. Jeff tweets make zero sense. He says the cap hit is just 250k (it's impossible to be that low as a veteran) he then says he gets 2.5M if he makes the team.

Sounds like 250K guarnteed but can really decipher what he is trying to say. Regardless he'll be taking a chunk of cap space (even if he doesn't make the team) which will cost us the opportunity to bring other players in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    So you are saying you count the 8mm that gets paid AND the 4.75 cap hit so it's really 12.75 for this year? That doesn't seem right. I always thought the 4.75 was included in the overall 8mm this year. You are saying the team is actually paying out 12.75 this year?

P.S. - not being facetious - I'm really trying to understand how it works, guess I was wrong all these years...
    AV gets 8M this year, 3.25M of which (signing bonus/# of years) counts against next years cap no matter what, so the 4.75M is what remains. Then 2M in March 2022 if not cut, then 4M if he’s on week 1 2022 roster

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    · 13m
    As for Ja'Wuan James, his cap hit is just 250K this year and $3.25 million next year. Gets $500K signing bonus. If he returns at any point this year, it's be at the minimum.

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    ·
    13m
    The way Ravens are essentially looking at Ja'Wuan James' deal. For $500k and a $250k cap hit this year, they've essentially bought an option for next year on a talented player at a premium position. Not much risk involved.

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    ·
    12m
    If he's with the team, James would make $2.5 million with an additional $5 million available in incentives.

I’ve heard the incentives are tough ones to achieve. So if he reaches them. His weight will be worth in gold anyway.

Sounds like a Ravens deal to me
    That salary makes a bit more sense.

My thing with him was that if it was a deal where he'd be making $8million or close to it next year, that's not backup salary, and it's a guy that wouldn't have played in over 2 and a half years, was injury prone before he opted out, then suffered another injury, and was solid, but certainly not great at his position when he played...that type of cap hit would have been really tough for me to swallow. I thought we'd be better off just waiting to see who potentially would be available in UFA next year at that price.

$2.5 with incentives...I'm assuming largely playing time...I can deal with that better.

I'm still not thrilled with this move, but it makes more sense considering the real cap hit.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    James has been playing the long con on NFL teams for awhile. He played 64 snaps for the Broncos after signing his massive deal.

More free money for him. Jeff tweets make zero sense. He says the cap hit is just 250k (it's impossible to be that low as a veteran) he then says he gets 2.5M if he makes the team.

Sounds like 250K guarnteed but can really decipher what he is trying to say. Regardless he'll be taking a chunk of cap space (even if he doesn't make the team) which will cost us the opportunity to bring other players in.
    If he’s not among the top 53 base salaries he wouldn’t count, but Jeff makes it sound like it’s 2 years $4M with $5M in incentives, which would be a no brainer deal

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ja'Wuan James is the Sammy Watkins of Offensive Tackles. They were both underperforming 1st round picks who look good in spots and then get hurt.
    Yeah, his injuries are very concerning and keep me from thinking this guy would be a good reliable starter, at least to this point in his career.

He'll be heading to his 8th season next year...the next year he's expected to play and he's played more than 7 games 3 times in his career.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    They said they test everything other than the injury he’s dealing with now. I’m sure there will be another physical to pass when he’s healed from his injury.
    How is that even possible? If he can't run or move properly then how do you check his other leg or hips? Usually a professional sports physical involves more than just a look and x-rays. Obviously they must be okay with it but this is a guy who sat out last year and missed 30 games while playing 65 in his previous 6 seasons. When you are hurt a third of the time a proper physical is critical

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post

If you want to disagree with his ability to remain healthy or whether it was a good signing, so be it. But this bolded part simply is not true. If there were players they were targeting, they would have already signed them. If someone becomes available in the future, 250k or 50k or even 1 mill cap hit is not going to keep them from signing them. They'll either cut a guy from the bottom of the roster or restructure a contract if needed. Being against this deal based on the cap hit makes no sense to me. If you want to say James is a health risk or whatever, I can go with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    AV gets 8M this year, 3.25M of which (signing bonus/# of years) counts against next years cap no matter what, so the 4.75M is what remains. Then 2M in March 2022 if not cut, then 4M if he’s on week 1 2022 roster
    That's 17million for 2 years right? The post I was responding to made it sound like it 17 million for 1 year of AV and that didn't make sense to me. Maybe I just read it completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    This deal looks even better now. It's really odd how some on here don't recognize how good of a deal this is. EDC is playing the long game.
    It's actually VERY odd..............................This is a great signing with minimal downside. Jeff Zrebiec summed it up perfectly. I'm not sure how any Raven fan wouldn't be down with this. EDC is building the team for this year and beyond. This is a "beyond" move.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    That's 17million for 2 years right? The post I was responding to made it sound like it 17 million for 1 year of AV and that didn't make sense to me. Maybe I just read it completely wrong.
    I meant if they cut him after 1 year, his deal plus the James deal would be $17M but it might be lower if the James deal is inflated with incentives

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    How is that even possible? If he can't run or move properly then how do you check his other leg or hips? Usually a professional sports physical involves more than just a look and x-rays. Obviously they must be okay with it but this is a guy who sat out last year and missed 30 games while playing 65 in his previous 6 seasons. When you are hurt a third of the time a proper physical is critical
    Is that true? I thought a physical was just your x-rays, range of motion stuff, bloodwork and labs? I know the Ravens have their conditioning test that a player has to pass in order to practice, but I don't know if they are putting guys through the paces on a physical. It's not a tryout.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Morris View Post
    It's actually VERY odd..............................This is a great signing with minimal downside. Jeff Zrebiec summed it up perfectly. I'm not sure how any Raven fan wouldn't be down with this. EDC is building the team for this year and beyond. This is a "beyond" move.
    Yup they are not going to get caught with thin OL depth again it would seem.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!