Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens sign Ja'waun James

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    Says in your post 4.75M cap hit this year then half the signing bonus or 3.25M dead money next year that’s how it works
    So you are saying you count the 8mm that gets paid AND the 4.75 cap hit so it's really 12.75 for this year? That doesn't seem right. I always thought the 4.75 was included in the overall 8mm this year. You are saying the team is actually paying out 12.75 this year?

P.S. - not being facetious - I'm really trying to understand how it works, guess I was wrong all these years...

Blog Entries

Smart move IMO. Looks good to the rest of the players in the league. Provides competition at RT next year since James likely won't be able to play this year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Vill at RT this year.
    James at RT next year with Vill as swing tackle?

Def some level of 4d chess going on here with EDC...maybe playing a long con to have an over-abundance of tackle talent that he can parlay into trades for players or draft picks? Or liked the idea of getting a top tackle on the cheap?
    Having tackle depth on the IR is meaningless. So glad we are paying for James rehab when the Broncos wouldn't.

Even if his contract is heavily backloaded go out and use that money on a passrusher and backload their deal. Someone who can actually help us this year

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    So you are saying you count the 8mm that gets paid AND the 4.75 cap hit so it's really 12.75 for this year? That doesn't seem right. I always thought the 4.75 was included in the overall 8mm this year. You are saying the team is actually paying out 12.75 this year?

P.S. - not being facetious - I'm really trying to understand how it works, guess I was wrong all these years...
    If he's on the team past the 5th day of the 2022 league year he'll get paid $6m ($4m base plus the $2m bonus payout). His cap hit is all that plus the $3.25 million signing bonus that's prorated over 2 years. That's how you come up with the total cap hit. Total cap hit doesn't equate to actual pay. So releasing him before the 5th day next year would save $6m in cap space with $3.25 in dead cap.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Don't really understand signing a guy to a non min contract knowing he won't play the upcoming year.
    I'm with you. How could he even pass a physical at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Having tackle depth on the IR is meaningless. So glad we are paying for James rehab when the Broncos wouldn't.

Even if his contract is heavily backloaded go out and use that money on a passrusher and backload their deal. Someone who can actually help us this year
    EDC is playing the long game. Someone who can help us this year is not going to want to have his deal backloaded. Would you take it? Probably not

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    · 13m
    As for Ja'Wuan James, his cap hit is just 250K this year and $3.25 million next year. Gets $500K signing bonus. If he returns at any point this year, it's be at the minimum.

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    ·
    13m
    The way Ravens are essentially looking at Ja'Wuan James' deal. For $500k and a $250k cap hit this year, they've essentially bought an option for next year on a talented player at a premium position. Not much risk involved.

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    ·
    12m
    If he's with the team, James would make $2.5 million with an additional $5 million available in incentives.

I’ve heard the incentives are tough ones to achieve. So if he reaches them. His weight will be worth in gold anyway.

Sounds like a Ravens deal to me

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm with you. How could he even pass a physical at this point?
    They said they test everything other than the injury he’s dealing with now. I’m sure there will be another physical to pass when he’s healed from his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    · 13m
    As for Ja'Wuan James, his cap hit is just 250K this year and $3.25 million next year. Gets $500K signing bonus. If he returns at any point this year, it's be at the minimum.

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    ·
    13m
    The way Ravens are essentially looking at Ja'Wuan James' deal. For $500k and a $250k cap hit this year, they've essentially bought an option for next year on a talented player at a premium position. Not much risk involved.

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    ·
    12m
    If he's with the team, James would make $2.5 million with an additional $5 million available in incentives.

I’ve heard the incentives are tough ones to achieve. So if he reaches them. His weight will be worth in gold anyway.

Sounds like a Ravens deal to me
    This deal looks even better now. It's really odd how some on here don't recognize how good of a deal this is. EDC is playing the long game.

Blog Entries

Ja'Wuan James is the Sammy Watkins of Offensive Tackles. They were both underperforming 1st round picks who look good in spots and then get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    This deal looks even better now. It's really odd how some on here don't recognize how good of a deal this is. EDC is playing the long game.
    It’s because his name is not Julio Jones smh

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post

You're making it sound like an either/or proposition. They can still do exactly what you're saying. They are essentially paying 500k to lock up his rights should he recover fully and 8mm for the services of a top level tackle when healthy. They are not locked in to any sort of long term financial commitment. There is virtually no harm to the Ravens in doing this deal....unless you believe that 500k will somehow keep them from acquiring the passrusher help you think they need this year.