Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Re: Ravens sign Ja'waun James

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There's more to the issue than getting "screwed over". The teams negotiate and contract with the NFLPA if you work out in our facility and under the direct supervision of our S&C guys, your injury will be considered football related. The teams are willing to assume the risk because they can dictate what the workout consists of and how it is done. There is no guarantee that even a well-meaning player will follow the workout protocol, including warmups, number of reps, etc. if done privately. I'm not suggesting it happened with James but there is also no way for the team to be sure that a player's injury actually took place during conditioning rather than slipping in your flip flops walking out to the pool. If I were an NFL player working out on my own, I would video it.
    I think I listed about 15 or so additional issues that make this about more than just a player getting screwed over.

So, is one of those issues that a team has a valid concern about preventing a player from hurting themself doing something dumb like water-skiing and claiming it was a work out? Sure! I can see how a legitimate issue for teams is their need to police how and if player workouts are done properly, or at all. Hell, coaches would make the players live in the building year round if they could. I get it.

But the counter argument I'm already hearing from some players around this issue is, "so, you're telling me not to work out on my own to get ready for camp?"

Teams can't ask them to live in the building and do all their workouts there...and they can't have it both ways, expecting players arrive in shape, but not being willing to assume any risk from their getting hurt outside the building.

It isn't a black or white issue, where one answer is right and the other is wrong.

James probably is getting screwed a bit I think, but more out of a larger set of circumstances than out of the Broncos simply being dicks to him.

So, there probably is some middle ground position (just as I predict there will a settlement in the grievance). There has to be. Because neither position is completely fair and equitable.

You mentioned video. I have to imagine teams could ask players to log in to record workouts not only in terms of video but recording reps. The new generation equipment has facial recognition and monitors all sorts metrics during a workout. Just like many things post-COVID, it can be done remotely. That's just one way to find middle ground.

The point is that both sides are taking extreme positions, because that's how negotiations go, but that doesn't mean one side is going to win out over the other as correct.

This story is more about this negotiation over what should be voluntary and what should be mandatory when it will come to a player's commitment to be in the building...much more than it's about JuWan's specific situation.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I think I listed about 15 or so additional issues that make this about more than just a player getting screwed over.

So, is one of those issues that a team has a valid concern about preventing a player from hurting themself doing something dumb like water-skiing and claiming it was a work out? Sure! I can see how a legitimate issue for teams is their need to police how and if player workouts are done properly, or at all. Hell, coaches would make the players live in the building year round if they could. I get it.

But the counter argument I'm already hearing from some players around this issue is, "so, you're telling me not to work out on my own to get ready for camp?"

Teams can't ask them to live in the building and do all their workouts there...and they can't have it both ways, expecting players arrive in shape, but not being willing to assume any risk from their getting hurt outside the building.

It isn't a black or white issue, where one answer is right and the other is wrong.

James probably is getting screwed a bit I think, but more out of a larger set of circumstances than out of the Broncos simply being dicks to him.

So, there probably is some middle ground position (just as I predict there will a settlement in the grievance). There has to be. Because neither position is completely fair and equitable.

You mentioned video. I have to imagine teams could ask players to log in to record workouts not only in terms of video but recording reps. The new generation equipment has facial recognition and monitors all sorts metrics during a workout. Just like many things post-COVID, it can be done remotely. That's just one way to find middle ground.

The point is that both sides are taking extreme positions, because that's how negotiations go, but that doesn't mean one side is going to win out over the other as correct.

This story is more about this negotiation over what should be voluntary and what should be mandatory when it will come to a player's commitment to be in the building...much more than it's about JuWan's specific situation.
    I think DEN was less than pleased that he opted out last year. They were looking for a way out of the contract in case they could swing a trade for Favre or Deshaun Watson. Rodgers, not Favre - Favre is totally a free agent now!.

They wanted out, he got hurt, gave them the opportunity. They had no history w/him - he opted out of his first year w/them after leaving MIA.

Circumstances were perfect for them to wash their hands of a guy they never got to know or coach, and they're looking for cap relief in a lowered cap year, while trying to upgrade at QB. Perfect storm. (unless you're him)

3. Re: Ravens sign Ja'waun James

Quote Originally Posted by BillickFan View Post
    They wanted out, he got hurt, gave them the opportunity. They had no history w/him - he opted out of his first year w/them after leaving MIA.
    They signed James prior to the 2019 season, in which James seriously struggled with various injuries and appeared in only 3 games. He opted out of his second year. Completely agree that they wanted out of the deal though.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    They signed James prior to the 2019 season, in which James seriously struggled with various injuries and appeared in only 3 games. He opted out of his second year. Completely agree that they wanted out of the deal though.
    Good catch! Thanks. I had forgotten about that year. (Does that qualify me to work in the DEN front office?)

Quote Originally Posted by BillickFan View Post
    I think DEN was less than pleased that he opted out last year. They were looking for a way out of the contract in case they could swing a trade for Favre or Deshaun Watson. Rodgers, not Favre - Favre is totally a free agent now!.

Circumstances were perfect for them to wash their hands of a guy they never got to know or coach, and they're looking for cap relief in a lowered cap year, while trying to upgrade at QB. Perfect storm. (unless you're him)
    For sure. They took advantage of what's best for them to extricate them from what was looking like a bad signing. If the resulting cap room allows them to become super competitive next year, then maybe it was a good move.

But that has to be weighed against how that decision impacts other players on the team or free agents in the future who are choosing between Denver and what might be seen as a more player-friendly organization, as they decide if they should hitch their wagon to an organization they themselves have not history with...knowing professional football is a very short run.

I am in no position to tell anyone how players will see this. But I can read what's reported in the media and ask these questions.

And I can only relate it to my own personal situation. If I was being recruited by an organization that required me to sell my house and move my family, would it matter to me that this organization that had a history of quickly dumping hires from the outside the organization who "didn't work out?" Damn right I'd think twice about accepting that offer.

Thinking about Denver's decision, I remember what Robert Burton mused exactly 400 years ago, "it's best not to be penny wise and pound foolish." Interestingly, he was writing about avoiding impulsive acts that had given him momentary joy at the expense of long-term sorry.

The question is, will this decision bring long-term sorry to Broncos fans?
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

In a rare bit of good news for us, he's practicing this week.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    In a rare bit of good news for us, he's practicing this week.
    Very nice...found a source that verifies (although technically his tweet is wrong since he was on the Non-Football Injury list, not IR)

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    ·
    11m
    The #Ravens have officially placed CB Marlon Humphrey on IR, ending his season. In better news… OT Ja’Wuan James was designated to return off IR. Some actual good injury news?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/...135571456?s=20

Blog Entries

I've actually been searching for updates on him and found nothing. Just asked Cole if he had seen anything.

Sure would be nice to at least get him in the mix in Dec.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the Tweet Vermont and sorry I should have added a link also. The Ravens posted it on their site -

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...ns-to-practice
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Thanks for the Tweet Vermont and sorry I should have added a link also. The Ravens posted it on their site -

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...ns-to-practice
    Does this mean that the Ravens have 3 weeks to add him to the 52 man roster, or he is out for the rest of the season?
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

11. Re: Ravens sign Ja'waun James

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Does this mean that the Ravens have 3 weeks to add him to the 52 man roster, or he is out for the rest of the season?
    Yes, I believe the rules for designating players returning from PUP function identically to those designated to return from IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Yes and No. Jeff Z got the impression that Ravens just want to see how he performs in practice. It's a lot to ask someone who hasn't played in nearly two years to get ready in 3 weeks and play some games. I seriously doubt he does.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer