Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Gus the Bus Extended

This is great news for the Ravens - Gus is so good - but I'm not sure why he signed this deal.

I'm not complaining but it's basically giving him the same salary he's getting for his option year for another 2 years (and this is coming from his agent and they always spin contracts to look as high as possible). I've seen a lot of other fanbases wishing they had Gus. After another good year with the Ravens I think he could have beat that in the open market with the cap going up.

It looks like EDC has done a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    This is great news for the Ravens - Gus is so good - but I'm not sure why he signed this deal.

I'm not complaining but it's basically giving him the same salary he's getting for his option year for another 2 years (and this is coming from his agent and they always spin contracts to look as high as possible). I've seen a lot of other fanbases wishing they had Gus. After another good year with the Ravens I think he could have beat that in the open market with the cap going up.

Yeah. Seems like Gus really wanted to stay in Baltimore.

Well let's be realistic. Gus does have some limitations. He'll never be a feature back anywhere else and he recognizes that he's a really good scheme fit here.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

I am anti signing RBs to second contracts but this is pretty low money so whatever.

Blog Entries

Love this move. He is a really good guy and deserves more if anything

Very good point. It will be interesting to see how much of the new $10mill is guaranteed. He's been very durable, but one torn knee ligament or achilles and he's searching for a minimum deal in 2022. This way he gets some security and as another poster mentioned, he gets to play in running heavy system that he can be successful in.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Nothing sad about it if Gus agreed to it
    I don’t disagree just want him set up for life given rb shelf life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He weighed the risk and took ten million instead of risking injury before he ever hits free agency. And what would he bring on the market? Maybe 5-8 for 3-4 years ? But in real money it would be two years at 5-8. Backs , unless top five are not highly valued as free agents. WR, o line, TE, cb al get more interest. Teams often find rb in every round or like we did undrafted. 10 years ago they would draft five rb in the first round. Today it is one or two. Rb are cheap because most teams don’t feature them with their passing game being the main focus.

Quote Originally Posted by mddisney1 View Post
    Is it sad that I feel bad for the guy and want him to get a larger payday?

His has been excellent and deserves to get paid

I’m happy we have hin

Not worth the risk if I'm Gus. Take the bird in hand, even if it's a little less. One injury and he's considered done in the NFL. The rb position is an absolute meat grinder, and unless you are Derrick Henry of C-Mac I think it's a massive dice roll to try to hit free agency and expect a huge payday. Especially if you are working in a committee system and have not proven to the league that you are a "feature back".

Good news.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by mddisney1 View Post
    I don’t disagree just want him set up for life given rb shelf life

All depends on what kind of life you want to be set for. If he finishes the contract, he'll have earned somewhere close to 15 million in career earnings....being conservative, let's say 7 million after taxes, agents and other bullshit. If he retired at the end of the contract, that's likely 4 million or so in the bank if he already bought a house, cars, etc and was not very thrifty with his money. For a young man under 30, that's a great cushion to have in life, especially if he plans to do something with himself after football that still earns some money.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Well let's be realistic. Gus does have some limitations. He'll never be a feature back anywhere else and he recognizes that he's a really good scheme fit here.
    Exactly....he's a great compliment to Lamar w/ the RPO. I don't think he'd be nearly as effective in most other NFL offenses.