Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: USFL coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Yes, they won the 1985 final championship. Which makes for the very interesting trivia question of which city has won championships in the NFL, CFL and USFL?

The Stars were originally in Philly and moved to "Baltimore" except they could not play in Memorial so they played in Byrd Stadium. Jim Mora (Playoffs?) was the head coach.

Ironically, that team wanted to be named Stallions, but Birmingham snatched it up first. The CFL team in Baltimore wanted to be the Colts, but the NFL sued and Speros chose Stallions. The Birmingham CFL team was called the Barracudas.
    I thought they played in Annapolis
    Orlando Renegades had a cool logo with the tomahawk.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    I thought they played in Annapolis
    Orlando Renegades had a cool logo with the tomahawk.
    They wanted to play at Memorial but couldn't because of baseball. They may have looked at NMC Stadium, I don't recall, but they ended up at Byrd Stadium. They played at Franklin Field as the Philadelphia Stars the two season prior. I recall that Trump ramrodded a proposal through to move USFL games to the fall after the '85 season. The Stars owner, Tannenbaum, knew he could never compete with the Eagles and moved the team. Trump wanted to show up the NFL after they spurned him, but his power move ended up killing the league before they ever got fall football off the ground.
    "That's what."
    — She

They wanted to play at Memorial but couldn't because of baseball. They may have looked at NMC Stadium, I don't recall, but they ended up at Byrd Stadium. They played at Franklin Field as the Philadelphia Stars the two season prior. I recall that Trump ramrodded a proposal through to move USFL games to the fall after the '85 season. The Stars owner, Tannenbaum, knew he could never compete with the Eagles and moved the team. Trump wanted to show up the NFL after they spurned him, but his power move ended up killing the league before they ever got fall football off the ground.
    Sounds familiar

They wanted to play at Memorial but couldn't because of baseball. They may have looked at NMC Stadium, I don't recall, but they ended up at Byrd Stadium...
    The Stars were actually scheduled to play at Memorial Stadium, but there weren't able to make arrangements in time for the 1985 season. The plan was always to play 1 year at Maryland, then move to Baltimore the following season (1986).
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Right. Since they were playing in the Spring, the MLB schedule for 1985 was already set, and impossible to work around. 1986 was supposed to go to fall football for the USFL, but that never happened because Trump overplayed their hand.
    "That's what."
    — She

I cant imagine the product will be that good. I dont follow any other sports because i cant find a reason to really care that much, this prolly wont change anything. But hey, another place for NFL teams to swoop in and grab talent
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I think I'm going to sell "short" ... Bc
    Don't wait too long to cover