Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Remembering Bert Jones, the Baltimore Colts, and my Dad

Blog Entries

So truth be told; we didn’t go to see Teddy leave although that was awesome. We always sat in the end zone for the same reason we all went to the Clipper’s games in the civic center even tho we knew Jack sh!t a about hockey. The Colts and Clippers had a blond cheerleader named Erin. The first love of my life.
    I hope she eventually got over me.

Harley, I'm glad you have good stories to remember your dad by.

I'm six years older than you, and I have very similar stories about my dad, who is alive and well at 83 and still attends every home game with my 83 year old mom.

They were season ticket holders for Colts games from '69 until they left, and now Ravens season ticket holders from '96 right on through. I've told many stories here about going to games with my parents, always off a scalped ticket in the parking lot and squeezing into the bench seating on the 40 yard line, upper deck, first row on the "first base side" of Memorial...Big Wheel...Unitas We Stand (because I'm older)...and my mom crying at every Towson fourth of July parade from '84 to '95 when the orphaned Colts band marched by playing the fight song.

And I have home movies of me playing catch with my dad in the yard going all the way back to when I was 18 months old when he tried to teach me the fumble drill.

I'm sorry your dad's health situation was not managed well. That truly sucks. But I am happy for your memories together.

I don't know if Harley is your real name or just the play on words, but it also reminds me of the Harley's Sandwich Shops, which I know more for the jazz show Harley Brinsfield hosted on weekends on WFBR playing records from his massive personal collection. Lots of good memories from that era.

God bless.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    Great story. My dad wasn’t a football guy so my uncle took me to my first football game in the 76 timeframe. Big loss. Can’t remember the team but Bert was there and his cannon arm was the only thing that didn’t look like the trash heap that had become the the formerly great Colts. Funny i was pretty young but could smell the rot - that something was way off was obvious to a child. Yes, we have a well-run team and I love that they have an identity they built on their own. I love the legacy Ravens, what Joe did, I love the org’s “stability” and with Lamar I feel the future is promise-crammed. I appreciate your look through the rear-view mirror a lot. Regards. And sorry this time of year has to remind you of your loss.
    The Colts lost three games in 76' the only loss at home was to the Patriots 21-14 the other two losses were away to the Cowboys 30-27 & St. Louis Cardinals 24-17

Best memory I had of the Colts was that 10-7 75' thriller against the Dolphins which catapulted us to the division title, game was actually blacked out in Baltimore so we had to listen on the radio. I remember the fog rolling in late in the game and everything rested on Linhart's leg to win it. The call from Chuck Thompson on that field goal was classic. We still had to beat the Patriots the following week to actually claim the division but the Dolphin game was etched in my memory probably because I had to listen to it on the radio.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    Best memory I had of the Colts was that 10-7 75' thriller against the Dolphins which catapulted us to the division title, game was actually blacked out in Baltimore so we had to listen on the radio. I remember the fog rolling in late in the game and everything rested on Linhart's leg to win it. The call from Chuck Thompson on that field goal was classic. We still had to beat the Patriots the following week to actually claim the division but the Dolphin game was etched in my memory probably because I had to listen to it on the radio.
    I was at that game, fans rushed the field and took down the closed end goal post. On the bus back to the Club 4100 several guys walked past carrying an upright.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Another memory is every pregame when the band would start the fight song a nearby woman would start ringing her cowbell. It is part of the song to me.

For those of us old enough to remember the Bert Jones era, it's easy to imagine "what if". What if Jones had avoided the injury woes? What if he could play in today's QB-friendly environment? The guy was a pleasure to watch. One of the best pure passers I ever saw, and not afraid to mix it up with defenders if he had to run.

For my money, Bert Jones ranks as the second best Baltimore QB ever, following closely behind Johnny Unitas. I hope that Lamar will be in that conversation someday, too.

Another memory from the old days - a less pleasant one - was the "2 PM" rule for Baltimore's home games. An outdated law said that no sporting event could begin before 2 PM on a Sunday. So while EVERY other east coast game would start at 1 PM, the Colts' home games wouldn't start until 2:00. As a result, the networks (understandably) didn't televise them. Why should they, when they could televise a doubleheader with games at 1:00 and then 4:00? To this day that stupid law pisses me off.

On a personal note - but in keeping with the spirit of the OP's message - my own dad passed away a few months ago due to a stroke. He was a few days shy of his 86th birthday. Dad was never a sports fan, but always indulged me when it came to my own love of sports. He drove me to baseball practices and let me watch all the baseball & football I wanted on TV. I was a pretty lucky kid, all things considered.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 06-01-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I barely remember Bert Jones, Roger Carr and the Colts. They were hardly shown on TV due to local blackouts. I started watching football in 78 at the age of 8. But I've heard and seen enough old clips to know that Bert Jones was an absolute beast in his prime. Do recall some of the Colts games against the Pats when they had Steve Grogan. And of course there was the 81 colts. Talk about an awful team.
    Joe Washington used to live a few miles from me back when I grew up in Reisterstown. Would occasionally see him around town.
    I even remember the playoff game against the Raiders being blocked out. The one that went into double overtime. One of the longest games in NFL history.

Quote Originally Posted by beavery View Post
    I was at the ghost to the post game. I will never forgive Marchibroda for sitting on the lead. He ran Mitchell 6 straight times I believe. My favorite was Glen Doughty. I love how he stuttered stepped on out patterns. Jones had an arm and he could run as well. He was a player and would have been in Canton had he not gotten injured.

It was a strange time to be a Colt fan. I saw the tail end of the Unitas era. When Rosenbloom traded the team to Irsay the old Colt culture was destroyed. Long time players were cast off without any real sentiment by ownership or the front office. Joe Thomas did what he had to do but the way he did it kind of sucked. The fan base grew disillusioned with Irsay's antics and threats. Pre Merger, the Colts and Packers were the top organizations in the league. We move from NFL to AFL, lose an owner that brought us winners, had complete roster turnover, other than 74, 75, 76 and 77 we were losing games. We lost the old time fans and the new Colts product, after Jones injury, was fueled by a drunken narcissist. Folks didn't want to watch an inferior product given to us by Irsay. That's my humble opinion.
    Remember that game all too well. As a kid I rooted for the team my favorite player was on. That player was Kenny Stabler, so I remember Ghost to the Post well and had to listen to it on the radio since it wasn't penalized.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    The Colts lost three games in 76' the only loss at home was to the Patriots 21-14 the other two losses were away to the Cowboys 30-27 & St. Louis Cardinals 24-17
    I don’t think the Colts scored that many points. Not sure bit i din’t think they even scored a TD and my uncle was disgusted. I wish I remember more. I know the kicker looked great in practice but missed a field goal during the game. I’m pretty sure Mitchell played that day because he was someone I had a 8x10 BW picture of him hanging in my closet. I was pretty excited to see him. I remember the way Bert Jones threw the ball blew my mind in view from the upper deck of Memorial Stadium. I just have no way of remembering the year.

I LOVE the stories, they are great! Keep em coming!

and I deeply appreciate the blessings and well wishes.

My Harley handle came from the original logo nicknamed the Harley Ravenson.

Someone in 1996 said the Ravens looked like a motorcycle gang with those black and purple unis and that winged B logo!

I actually loved that original logo, think we should have paid the guy the 10k and run with it!