3 Way! (Trade that is)

Here is the quick summary:

Atlanta- Lelie
    Washington- Duckett
    Denver- draft picks (at least a 3 and a 4)

ATLANTA -- Filling their need for a No. 3 wide receiver, the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday night acquired disgruntled Denver Broncos veteran Ashley Lelie in a three-team trade, ESPN.com has learned.

The Falcons sent former first-round tailback T.J. Duckett to Washington. At worst, the Broncos will receive two draft choices from Washington -- third- and fourth-round picks -- and those picks could escalate based on a complicated formula.

Lelie, 26, had said that he wanted a situation where he could be the No. 1 wideout. But with the Falcons, he clearly is the No. 3 guy behind starters Michael Jenkins and Roddy White, Atlanta's first-round choices in the 2004 and 2005 drafts, respectively. A league source said Falcons officials had a long meeting with Lelie to discuss his role, and were satisfied he was willing to accept the No. 3 spot.

Interesting is that the Falcons did not extend Lelie's contract as part of the trade, meaning he could be a one-year rental, since he is entering the final season of his original rookie deal, and could be eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring. If the Falcons like Lelie and he is productive for them, they could approach him about an extension during the season. For now, though, his contract remains unaffected.

Clayton's take
    The three-team trade that sent Ashley Lelie to Atlanta, T.J. Duckett to Washington, and two draft choices to Denver late Tuesday had been one of the most difficult to put together in the past couple of years. When all was said and done, the deal made all involved happy.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2558101

Blog Entries

Re: 3 Way! (Trade that is)

Once again, the Redskins toss draft picks away like crazy...Although, if Duckett can ever live up to being a 1st round guy, getting him for a 3rd and 4th round pick is not too bad of a deal. Besides, they only use draft picks as bartering chips anyway.

Lelie in ATL should be interesting. I don't see him winning a starting job, and the only difference in offensive styles between Denver and Atlanta is that Vick runs the ball instead of handing off to a RB.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag
    Once again, the Redskins toss draft picks away like crazy...Although, if Duckett can ever live up to being a 1st round guy, getting him for a 3rd and 4th round pick is not too bad of a deal. Besides, they only use draft picks as bartering chips anyway.

Lelie in ATL should be interesting. I don't see him winning a starting job, and the only difference in offensive styles between Denver and Atlanta is that Vick runs the ball instead of handing off to a RB.
    Lelie at least has a decent shot at beating out Jenkins and White; in Denver, Smith and Walker have the top 2 positions locked down.

I guess getting Duckett, means Portis could be out for a while.

Nice to see that the Redskins don't have the running backs we have.

GO RAVENS

:hammer: :hammer:

Damn - the Redskins throw draft picks away like crazy. It's also interesting because, as someone said, they are either planning on Portis being out for a bit or are just not confident in Ledell Betts as a backup.

It's clear the Deadskins are gearing up for a run this year.

Blog Entries

too bad their QB play is imploding and I get the smirking feeling they ain't going to make a run at it.

One day, I hope to finally see the Redskins go into cap hell for all the crap they've been pulling. It just doesn't make sense how year in and year out, they are able to keep signing these big name guys for big contracts, but they never have to pay up.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!