Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Thread

Re: OTA Thread

Not sure where the comp pick stuff is coming from - unless you guys are saying the Tee will become a HEAD COACH somewhere. Like, what are folks talking about???

"Teams that lose a minority coach or executive to a head coach or general manager job with another team will receive a third-round compensatory pick for two consecutive years, per Pelissero. If a team loses a minority coach and an executive to HC and GM roles, that club will receive a third-round compensatory pick for three consecutive years."

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Jim Caldwell comes to mind.
    In what way?

Caldwell was the QB coach with TB on Dungy's staff, then held the same position with him in Indy. When Dungy retired, Caldwell became HC. Took the Colts to the SB in his first season. Beat us in the divisional round in his second season. Then Peyton missed the season and the Colts executed "Suck For Luck" and went 2-14.

Caldwell was fired and hired here as QB coach. Took over as OC after Cam was fired and helped us win another SB. Spent the following year as OC for our decimated offense post SB and then got hired as Detroit HC.

Failing to see what experience he lacked...most OCs usually start as position coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    There are candidates in any offseason that already have coordinator experience in the NFL. His qualifications may be good for a position coach. But I would say his qualifications are not great for an NFL coordinator, because I think experience at the NFL level matters. As of right now he doesn't even have a full season in ANY NFL coaching role.

I made it as a conditional point, and pointed out that we aren't really privy to this info anyway. The Ravens know what aspects of the offense different staff are involved in. So they can judge that where appropriate. But I generally agree with your point here, and I wouldn't assume he has much influence.

But if we're assuming that he doesn't, then I think this also weakens his qualifications as future OC. I think being involved in that at the NFL level is useful.

I do like the fact that he's a former QB, but, as I said above, I'm not as over the moon about his qualifications if we're talking about OC.

If Roman is let go next offsaeson (I'm not expecting it) I would expect an outside hire to replace him before Martin would. If Martin sticks around for several seasons then I think he could become more of a consideration.
    I expect urban to be the next OC if Roman leaves

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Right, and that's fine if you don't feel he would be qualified for you. I was speaking objectively. There are NFL OC that had far less experience when they were hired then Martin has right now.
    If he were qualified he would have gotten offers to be an OC. Just because other unqualified people got a shot doesn't mean he is qualified. he has never coached a game at the pro level. He was fired from his job at USC and was not retained by Tennessee but all fo the sudden he is the Ravens OC in waiting?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch11 View Post
    If he were qualified he would have gotten offers to be an OC. Just because other unqualified people got a shot doesn't mean he is qualified. he has never coached a game at the pro level. He was fired from his job at USC and was not retained by Tennessee but all fo the sudden he is the Ravens OC in waiting?
    Right, and that's fine if you don't feel he would be qualified for you. I was speaking objectively. There are NFL OC that had far less experience when they were hired then Martin has right now.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Which failed college OC/Position coach who never coached in the NFL was hired as an NFL OC?

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch11 View Post
    Which failed college OC/Position coach who never coached in the NFL was hired as an NFL OC?
    Kliff Kingsbury was a failed college HC who never coached in the NFL and was hired as an NFL HC

I don't mind whether a Co-ordinator has NFL experience or not really. Football is football. There seems to be more innovation in the college game so I'd be just as happy getting those ideas from the horse's mouth as I would having an experienced NFL coach copy them.

Lol at fans thinking GRo is going somewhere! Seriously?
    Only way that happens is if Ed, John Regper, and Ann Arbor pool their money and buy a team! No one runs the beer in the NFL! Just us because we have Lamar.

Fwiw ...I think Tee would be a great OC ...just not here. We’re not set up for his style of play ...if he coaches what he played. I mean Darnold doesn’t tuck is and run ..basically ever. So T’s style wouldn’t fit Lamar and Co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Only way that happens is if Ed, John Regper, and Ann Arbor pool their money and buy a team! No one runs the beer in the NFL! Just us because we have Lamar.

Fwiw ...I think Tee would be a great OC ...just not here. We’re not set up for his style of play ...if he coaches what he played. I mean Darnold doesn’t tuck is and run ..basically ever. So T’s style wouldn’t fit Lamar and Co.

If his offense takes a step back, yeah.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    If his offense takes a step back, yeah.
    From what? Being the number one , all time rushing offense? That’s prob gonna happen. But I bet they still lead the league in rushing , scoring and make the playoffs. That’s when it gets interesting

Blog Entries

Yes, I think Roman will eventually be promoted or otherwise moved on. Either through success becoming the hot SB winning OC, either through failure or through the desire for change by the franchise QB.

I think anyone can coach Lamar. I respect the hell out of Roman, but he's offense is very unique outside of the fact that he includes the QB in the running game. That's Roman's 'trick' and its always been his trick even before Lamar.....its just that Lamar is a special talent (coach proof imho). I think Roman's ability to develop Lamar in the passing game is near capped out.
    The next coach (whenever that happens) will have to text Lamar to an even higher level and its sounds crazy to say since Lamar already won an MVP but once Lamar ups his passing ability will be looking at the best QB in the NFL.
    And, imho that advancement is only going to come from a coach with chops in the passing game.
    I'm not worried for a second about the run game, any coach worth their salt will include Lamar in the run game to some extent because it would be coaching malpractice not to.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said