Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Mahomes' $503,000,000.00 10 yr contract extension

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Sure, anyone could say it. And the OP did. Although he might rightly say he never commented on owners. And that's true. I don't know how he feels about owner profits. I can only guess.

I didn't think you did or didn't agree with him. You were only responding to me, and making some errant assumptions about what my point is. (Or, perhaps I made my point so poorly that I gave you the wrong impression, which I've now attempted to correct multiple times).

I have resisted weighing into this part of the debate, but now I will.

It's difficult for me to agree the owners have a lot to lose. While I've stated I don't begrudge them their money, I'm not apt to call them "risk takers." Not unlike a Chix Fil A owner, as a franchisee, their risk is minimal. Their revenue and expenses are pretty much set. Sure, they can make bad player investments but it won't cost them dearly. Even the worst owner (ahem, Mike Brown) can't fuck it up.

To be clear, let's not accuse me of saying these business owners are lazy or don't deserve their money. You can accuse me however of saying I don't buy into the "tremendous risk" argument.

Whereas I do think players are at a very high risk of not earning money regardless of how hard they work. For every Pat Mahomes there is a Kyle Boller, who worked plenty hard.

Again, we focus on the stars who are making millions. But the average player is one banana peel away from being out on his ass, missing out on millions.

Pick any draft bust and we can see how he left the game with next to nothing. And yet the owner whose team made a horrible decision to draft him hardly feels the economic sting.

Should Patrick Mahomes be thanking his lucky stars for the Hunt Family? Or vice versa?

Again, I'm not trashing the Hunts by saying this. I'm only saying I don't understand why people view players and owners so differently.
    The average draft bust makes more in a couple years of the NFL than they will in the entire remainder of their life.

Ask the NFL owners if they put their money at risk during a global pandemic. Not normal, sure but I would not be surprised at all if all 32 owners lose money on their multi-billion dollar investment 2 consecutive years...

I don’t begrudge either, but I could be pushed to side with the owners over the players easily than vice versa. To be clear, it “seems” you feel “similarly opposite in that you do not outwardly begrudge either but favor the players over owners if push came to shove.

I don’t think you were terribly unclear, but a couple of us placed a bit more weight on a statement or two you made more than you intended and so we thought we could find a conversation therein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's cool. That's how discussions work.

I don't want to minimize how tough 2020 was on business owners. I just want to make the point that NFL owners didn't sweat it out as much as, say, restaurant owners.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I “could” say player income is bad without owner income being bad.

I won’t, but I “could”. If it wasn’t worth it to the owners they wouldn’t pay them what they do. The owners have far more to lose, more options to place it. Players should be thanking their lucky stars for the only opportunity they possibly have to earn that kind of income, an income opportunity provided by the owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. These players are getting millions of dollars to play a sport they love. In fairness the players are great and have a skill nobody else on planet earth has to play one of the hardest and most grueling sports on the highest level of professional sports. The players get what an owner can pay with whatever the market rate is depending on the position and how good the player is. There is no team without the owners making profit, no pay for the players and no product for the fan who loves their NFL franchise playing every weekend from September to jan/Feb. The franchise should always come first. Players come and go... some players are more valuable than others. Players like Ray Lewis are extensions of the franchise in fairness, but you don't often get guys like that.