Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCOTUS rules against NCAA. Will players be paid?

I am sure everyone heard the news yesterday. The SCOTUS ruled against the NCAA on paying athletes. So now the talk is “pay the player”. Sounds good in headlines. What are your thoughts. Will the starting QB at Alabama get paid the same as a third string defender on a D3 girls volleyball team?
    Will there be enough revenue to field those girls sports?
    How will universities upgrade facilities
    Will the cost of a college sporting event skyrocket?

2. Re: SCOTUS rules against NCAA. Will players be paid?

Not sure on any of it, but I'm kind of neutral on the whole thing right now. I'll just kick back and wait and see how it all plays out. When the SCOTUS makes a big ruling like this, it'll be off to the races, kinda like Citizens United. They unlocked the gate and the horses will soon be out of the barn. Giddy up.

Blog Entries

Re: SCOTUS rules against NCAA. Will players be paid?

I'm all for paying the athletes of revenue generating sports. Which means the D3 tiddly winks player will continue on as always as an unpaid athlete. The starting qb for 'Bama might be in line for a big payday, however. Why not?
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

The court ruled that the ncaa could not limit education related compensation. That doesn’t seem related to paying college athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    The court ruled that the ncaa could not limit education related compensation. That doesn’t seem related to paying college athletes.
    Hmmm. For me, and most of the sport’s media, they seem to think this opens the door to college athletes getting paid.

Education related compensation is being paid to play sports for an educational institution (college sports)

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Hmmm. For me, and most of the sport’s media, they seem to think this opens the door to college athletes getting paid.

Education related compensation is being paid to play sports for an educational institution (college sports)
    The actual decision seemed to be centered on paying for expenses directly related to education as opposed to a salary.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Well most of the sports media is probably projecting what it wants as opposed to what the actual ruling said

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I am sure everyone heard the news yesterday. The SCOTUS ruled against the NCAA on paying athletes. So now the talk is “pay the player”. Sounds good in headlines. What are your thoughts. Will the starting QB at Alabama get paid the same as a third string defender on a D3 girls volleyball team?
    Will there be enough revenue to field those girls sports?
    How will universities upgrade facilities
    Will the cost of a college sporting event skyrocket?
    The girls on volleyball teams won't be paid, save maybe a very rare few. The ruling doesn't require they be paid, only that they can be.

9. Re: SCOTUS rules against NCAA. Will players be paid?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The girls on volleyball teams won't be paid, save maybe a very rare few. The ruling doesn't require they be paid, only that they can be.
    But.....won't the woke "everyone gets a trophy" crowd be all in a tizzy of such an outcome? I imagine so....

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    But.....won't the woke "everyone gets a trophy" crowd be all in a tizzy of such an outcome? I imagine so....
    Then nobody will get paid to any degree.

11. Re: SCOTUS rules against NCAA. Will players be paid?

I'd like to think that's the way it will go, but somehow doubt that it is. Color me cynical.

Eventually, everyone will be paid a living wage. Regardless of talent or skill.