Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: The prostitution of sports

several years ago i had a good guy who i worked with that had a gambling problem. he lost his wife and his house. we had an Employee Assistance program that ultimately helped him but not until much of the damage was done.

every time i hear that sub text to gambling advertising, " if you need help call this 800 number", it just pisses me off. this will corrupt good people for one's own personal game.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Money rules everything. If there's a dime to be made on it then people will swarm to it and try to exploit it

I enjoy the integrity of the sport. I used to play FF for big money like 6 years ago but I stopped because I couldn't even enjoy the games anymore. Just obsessed with my guys getting their fantasy points up and not the outcome of the game. I picked up Odell off waivers as a rookie and he ended up winning me the championship and like 2k. I had a miserable time enjoying football that year. Took my winnings and swore it off ever since.

It's so much nicer to be able to just turn on a SNF/MNF game and just enjoy the competition between the two teams
    I played FF just once about 10 years ago, and it completely ruined the season for me.

Normally, If my team loses, I can only be disappointed once that week. But not with FF. With FF, I get to he disappointed several times in the same week, and be in position to root for a player that is playing against my team.

It's too much for me. I care about football, but I don't want to be forced to care that much.

I like fantasy football purely because it makes non Ravens games more interesting and gives me a greater reason to engage with the rest of the league. I’ve only played for fun, never money, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable1 View Post
    I have a friend heavily into FF. He doesn't talk football. He talks fantasy football. A shared, a community event, is now a personal one. The worry is the loosening of the ties of that bind.
    I would argue that those interested in FF and gambling only actually strengthen the ties and interest to the game
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

I think there’s a real debate to be had on the effects of sports betting and team fandom. Does it hurt or can it actually help? I’ve enjoyed betting on games that mean absolutely nothing like a matchup between two NFC teams to create some kind of interest in the game for myself. I would never bet against the Ravens or bet for the steelers or browns because I could never bring myself to root for them. Same way I don’t draft any of them in fantasy and always bench players when they play the Ravens. My loyalty to the Ravens always comes first and foremost. It’s easy to see the possible negatives of sports gambling on relation to team fandom, but is there any possible positives? A casual Ravens fan can place a bet on the Ravens and ultimately ramp up his enthusiasm in rooting for them? What are the real pros, cons, and possibilities when it comes to betting and fandom?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    The Ravens announce a multi-year partnership with BetMGM, a sports betting and digital gaming company. The deal represents the Ravens' first official gaming partner.
    Any ideas on what impact this has on the Ravens and Ravens fans?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: The prostitution of sports

It's another evil on society. However, we humans were given free will. I, for example, play in two poker games : (a) every other Thursday night, and (b) once a week, but the stakes are low enough so you don't lose the rent money at either. Otherwise, I'd be out!
    I drink wine and beer : (a) on the weekend the wife and I go out to dinner and have wine. White for her, red for me. I don't have it Monday - Thursday or it's not special on the weekend, (b) beer @ poker or watching football, (c) yes, the occasional Jack Daniels. Never over-doing it though!
    Except for football pools at the office, and I'm retired for 12 years now, I didn't bet on sports, although I love all sports.
    Finally, I've stayed away from drugs, pills and the like for my entire life.
    You can call me (as in the 1950's) a "square" and you'd be right, but I'm a very healthy (physically, emotionally, financially, and marriage-wise) square.

I am quite content to be so... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post

... Bc
    Lol. Isn’t that Swords girl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore35 View Post
    If I had to take a guess there might be future simulcasts available where fans can watch the game and bet during it.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Lol. Isn’t that Swords girl?

Yep that's him... errr... her

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore35 View Post
    I’d guess signage at the stadium, and probably the ability to place bets in the stadium

I think there's pros and cons to how gambling/ff can affect the fandom or more the enjoyment of the games, but I prefer they keep it on the side rather than focusing too much on it.

On another, kind of related note, this is how I feel about European soccer. I used to be a huge soccer fan, but the sport got ruined by money and greed. My team didn't have rich sponsors, and richer teams would steal all the good players. Yeah, you can say free market, but it really turned me off the sport because good fans don't matter, only money. In addition to the entitlement of players like Messi and CR7. It even impacts the world cup since players don't care about it like they used to (no real money in it).

I completely stopped following all soccer for this reason, and one of the main reasons I love the NFL is the salary cap, which gets rid of all that type of bs. End rant, thanks for reading! :D