Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Rising inflation

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I can see 1970s level inflation becoming a real possibility in the next few years. Goods from China are becoming more and more expensive.
    Dude, we traded mean tweets for inflation, wars in the middle east and 8 million jobs unfulfilled bc we subsidize sloth.

But at least them mean tweets are gone!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    If anyone else here works w/building products, like lumber, etc., I imagine they know all about lumber prices. It's getting insane. I'm in the middle of building an 850 sq. ft. room addition for someone and they have had to stop the job for now. We have it all framed up and closed in, but they are in dire financial straights at this time. Everyone is paid and they'll be ok, it may just take awhile. It doesn't matter to me, as I'm busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger right now. Told them to call me when things settle down. I just feel bad for them and all the people like them feelin' the squeeze. So....who's gettin' rich off all this?
    I’ve been tracking this as a hobbyist woodworker. Prices will come down because the current situation isn’t sustainable. I talk to several sawmills and lumber yards and they all expect prices to drop gradually over the next year.

I hardly ever buy lumber from big box stores anymore though. If I’m going to pay through the nose, I’d rather support local sawyers.

Do you ever get over to Finders Keepers near Asheville? I love that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I’ve been tracking this as a hobbyist woodworker. Prices will come down because the current situation isn’t sustainable. I talk to several sawmills and lumber yards and they all expect prices to drop gradually over the next year.

I hardly ever buy lumber from big box stores anymore though. If I’m going to pay through the nose, I’d rather support local sawyers.

A sub-contractor I hired had to buy 40 sheets of no frills plywood at $95/sheet. When the job was bid less than 90 days prior the price was $59.

Was nearly impossible to acquire that much material as well...

Blog Entries

DeSantis was known as a fiscal hawk during his time in Washington so maybe he is the next Raegan. The UK would need its next Thathcher though! Lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuryRaven View Post
    Dude, we traded mean tweets for inflation, wars in the middle east and 8 million jobs unfulfilled bc we subsidize sloth.

But at least them mean tweets are gone!
    You know what the left are going to blame inflation on right? Capitalism of course. I am worried people will demand more government intervention to deal with inflation, but part of me has hope that Americans will make the right choice and want a Raegan/Calvin Coolidge type president instead of an FDR.

6. Re: Rising inflation

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

No. I don't get to Asheville much as it's a drive and too many freaks. To each their own, though. Whatever floats their boat, I reckon. I need a good reason to go anywhere near there. I did get to Scroungers Paradise not long ago, buying some beadboard. Love that spot. I'm like a kid in a candy store when going there.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    A sub-contractor I hired had to buy 40 sheets of no frills plywood at $95/sheet. When the job was bid less than 90 days prior the price was $59.

Was nearly impossible to acquire that much material as well...

Last year ago I redid a little less than half of my fence and wanted to to another big hunk this summer but maybe will hold off. The material cost for what I did last year was 3500. I'd be interested to know what that would cost me this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Last year ago I redid a little less than half of my fence and wanted to to another big hunk this summer but maybe will hold off. The material cost for what I did last year was 3500. I'd be interested to know what that would cost me this year.
    FYI, I decided I am not doing my back fence or building the shed in my side yard right now because of lumber costs.

This guy learned how to weld and built his own mill, lol. I applaud that. This is what a properly motivated man with agency does.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/17/99691...mill-their-own

I think Wicked mentioned he was considering going direct to the mills to get lumber but this is the way to go if you have access to trees.

I'm not paying 120 foot of fence price for 60 foot of fence.

9. Re: Rising inflation

FYI, I decided I am not doing my back fence or building the shed in my side yard right now because of lumber costs.

This guy learned how to weld and built his own mill, lol. I applaud that. This is what a properly motivated man with agency does.

I think Wicked mentioned he was considering going direct to the mills to get lumber but this is the way to go if you have access to trees.

I just bought some 3 x 9 x 10' southern yellow pine beams from the mill for $16/ea. Thought that was quite reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I just bought some 3 x 9 x 10' southern yellow pine beams from the mill for $16/ea. Thought that was quite reasonable.
    That seems like a good price. What are you building?

Blog Entries

So glad I built my shed early last summer. If I tried to build the same shed now, I’d easily spend 3-4x what I spent in materials.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

We need a new shed but the ones we priced last year have jumped in price. Going to wait.