Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Re: Interesting article on Lamar's struggles outside the numbere

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Scheme doesn't make a QB inaccurate and Lamar doesn't get more or less accurate depending on different plays. Also if Lamar needs uber elite receivers to be "more accurate" than that is a troubling sign.
    This is true but more completed passes makes people keep quiet about accuracy. Accuracy is only an issue when passes are incomplete or a turnover is created from one. Hence why I keep making the point how scheme effects this. Its plenty of ways to create easier completions for a QB with your scheme. You want completed passes or perfect accurate throws? Let's be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    This is true but more completed passes makes people keep quiet about accuracy. Accuracy is only an issue when passes are incomplete or a turnover is created from one. Hence why I keep making the point how scheme effects this. Its plenty of ways to create easier completions for a QB with your scheme. You want completed passes or perfect accurate throws? Let's be realistic.
    I would like Lamar to at least look for targets on the outside more often. I don't see how Greg Roman isn't giving him a scheme where he can't throw outside on the boundary. He just has to attempt it more.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    I would like Lamar to at least look for targets on the outside more often. I don't see how Greg Roman isn't giving him a scheme where he can't throw outside on the boundary. He just has to attempt it more.
    If you look at the Titians playoff game last season. The ravens were completing a lot of out routes. They were actually effective and Hollywood was getting YAC. I just didn't they they felt comfortable with their WR to constantly throw deep throughout the season. This year I believe we will see a change.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Lamar courtesy of PFF:
    See attached

The heat map is interesting -- Lamar's accuracy throwing to the outside is far better on one side (the one that's all red), versus the other. Wouldn't have expected that.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens82 View Post
    The heat map is interesting -- Lamar's accuracy throwing to the outside is far better on one side (the one that's all red), versus the other. Wouldn't have expected that.
    Because he is right handed so its more throws to that side. Also he scrambles a lot to the right side to make throws.

Yeah - the heat map leads you to believe he should throw to his left more often. There is however a volume issue, as well as the league game planning against his throwing to the right. (because they know he goes to that side more often)

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    Because he is right handed so its more throws to that side. Also he scrambles a lot to the right side to make throws.
    Yeah, I guess it makes sense. I'd like to see Lamar develop the ability to throw to both sides well -- kind of like a basketball player being able to finish with either hand.

Blog Entries

That's some of the better data that PFF offers.

I would have to go back and look at the other guys to see how the heat maps compare or if there is a NFL average.
    I do remember that Deshaun Watson also throws to the middle of the field more then average, and when he wasn't getting a massage Watson was one of the better QBs in the league.
    So throwing outside isn't the end all be all.

I wish the target chart had accuracy numbers in addition to passer rating.

Passer rating is more indicative a the passing unit as whole, to include pass protection and receivers in addition to the QB.
    So a low passer rating doesn't necessarily mean its all on the QB.
    But, we know that his Lamar's accuracy outside the numbers declined from 2020 to 2019.
    Last edited by edromeo; 05-16-2021 at 11:31 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Yeah - the heat map leads you to believe he should throw to his left more often. There is however a volume issue, as well as the league game planning against his throwing to the right. (because they know he goes to that side more often)
    I wasn't that surprised though. Its a small sample size but it is what it is, I know this well draw the ire of the Boykins Haters Club but facts are facts and Lamar had a higher passer rating throwing to Boykin then to Hollywood. And the X typically lines up more often on the right side of the formation. From the deep dive I took into Boykin snaps it seemed that Boykin should have got more targets and the heat map seems to support that idea.

Next year that spot will likely be manned by a more talented WR in Bateman/Watkins, and if Lamar tightens up his accuracy in outside the numbers hopefully the heat map will make those little red hexagons(?) bigger.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

I wasn't that surprised though. Its a small sample size but it is what it is, I know this well draw the ire of the Boykins Haters Club but facts are facts and Lamar had a higher passer rating throwing to Boykin then to Hollywood. And the X typically lines up more often on the right side of the formation. From the deep dive I took into Boykin snaps it seemed that Boykin should have got more targets and the heat map seems to support that idea.

Next year that spot will likely be manned by a more talented WR in Bateman/Watkins, and if Lamar tightens up his accuracy in outside the numbers hopefully the heat map will make those little red hexagons(?) bigger.
    The Split End (X) is opposite the Tight End, which plays on the strong side which is usually the RT, so the Flanker (Z) should be lined up to Lamar's right. Unless there's something I'm missing about formations the Ravens use with multiple TE sets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    The Split End (X) is opposite the Tight End, which plays on the strong side which is usually the RT, so the Flanker (Z) should be lined up to Lamar's right. Unless there's something I'm missing about formations the Ravens use with multiple TE sets.
    Thanks you are correct I meant *left* in the portion you bolded above. It’s a typo.

The right side of the heat map, like we’re both saying is typically where the Z / Hollywood would align and the left side where the X would typically align and the heat map suggest is where the ball should have been thrown more.
    Last edited by edromeo; 05-17-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks you are correct I meant *left* in the portion you bolded above. It’s a typo.

The right side of the heat map, like we’re both saying is typically where the Z / Hollywood would align and the left side where the X would typically align and the heat map suggest is where the ball should have been thrown more.
    Yeah, teams would bracket the right side in zone (because Lamar), basically assign 3-4 guys to monitor 2 (Brown and Andrews) and leave the left side 1-on-1 at all times. Game planning makes a big big difference.