Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Decosta on Ravens Podcast...

Yeah I cant sand this podcast because the one guy laughs like a hyena the whole time. Today I listened because it was Decosta.

Brandon Jones at Safety was the one I thought maybe...

Jones was a Captain at Texas, terrific Special Teams player, versatile Safety (played slot CB also).

Who knows...but thankfully it worked out as it did, because Madubuike was a bright spot last season..

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing I will give it a listen now

Quote Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
    Joe Douglas traded up and nabbed Denzel Mims 1 pick in front of us, traded down for Justin M and Malik Harrison
    I think this is it. The player taken before the trade down.

EDC would not have been alone, a lot of people on the board were high on Mims.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBLTRaven View Post
    Yeah I cant sand this podcast because the one guy laughs like a hyena the whole time. Today I listened because it was Decosta.

I don't think Decosta was nearly as high on Mims as the board was. Just like I don't think they were nearly as high on Jenkins as the board was.

One thing I appreciate him continuing to hammer home in this podcast is how hard it is to take a step back and realize that everybody's board is different and how that helps his decision making. It's hard to truly accept that...otherwise your movement on board would be all over the place.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I firmly believe they wanted Denzel Mims and were going to take him with the original 2nd round selection, the immediate trade back was just too obvious to be a coincidence.. but missing him ultimately led us to Bateman, I think it worked out for the better

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    I firmly believe they wanted Denzel Mims and were going to take him with the original 2nd round selection, the immediate trade back was just too obvious to be a coincidence.. but missing him ultimately led us to Bateman, I think it worked out for the better
    What was a coincidence? When would they have needed to trade back for it not to have been? Don't all trades on draft day happen when teams are on the clock?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Now we know the story behind the Ben Mason pick. DeCosta was so busy playing pranks on Pat Moriarty that he wasn't around to stop Harbaugh from picking his mom's favorite player.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Brandon Jones at Safety was the one I thought maybe...

Jones was a Captain at Texas, terrific Special Teams player, versatile Safety (played slot CB also).

Who knows...but thankfully it worked out as it did, because Madubuike was a bright spot last season..
    I think the podcast guys have to be right about it being Ben Jones that the Ravens wanted, if DeCosta was telling the exact truth about the pick before ours. If he was using a bit of license and it was a few picks before that brings Damien Lewis, Ashtyn Davies etc into the picture. It worked out well for the Ravens in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBLTRaven View Post
    Pretty sure that’s Mink cackling. It is kind of annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Find #20 on every play"

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    About 9-10 minutes in. EDC shared an interesting draft nugget about how they wanted TY Hilton and were planning to take him at the top of the 4th round. But the Colts who were picking behind the Ravens in the 4th traded up into the back of the 3rd round and took him. That was the year Chuck Pagano left the Ravens to become the Colts HC and took some the assistants with him. EDC said that bothered him and felt someone knew they were planning to take TY Hilton. It's why he'll keep things close to the vest going forward.
    Given the frequency with which coaches, coordinators, and ancillaries get recycled throughout the league, you'd think it would be impossible to keep a work product secret. Even if an opponent might not know the exact ranking of your board, they might have a good enough insight into your preferences, your methods.

It leads one to wonder if the knowledge that someone is a short-timer in the organization leads the organization to shield the person from highly sensitive data and methods. That shielding itself results in a kind of suspicion or distrust that practically guarantees short-timer status: a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Does anyone know if coaches, scouts and the like sign NDAs? Has any team ever sued for violation of an NDA?

One of the benefits of Harbaugh use of recycled/last-stop coaches is that they don't have as much opportunity to do what Pagano is alleged to have done.