Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: There can only be One #1 WR - Hollywood vs Bateman

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    I'm going to lose my head if Roman just runs both of them on verticals.
    Shades of Cam Cameron having Torrey and Boldin run the same freaking go routes. Yeah, I would blow a gasket.

The beauty here is that their games are so perfectly complementary. There is some irony to Hollywood’s game in that the best way for him to put up a number one WR type performance is for him to be playing next to an X who is a more traditional “number one WR.”

Basically I think once Bateman gets his feet on the ground (maybe by the end of this year, maybe by the end of ‘22) he’ll probably have more of a gravitational pull on the defense on a snap to snap basis. But I think Hollywood leads the team in yards if healthy. And there will be games where one guy goes tf off and the other is relatively quiet based on how the defense chooses to play them. But if Bateman hits it’ll be damn near impossible to take both of them away, and that’s part of why I love this pick so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    TIGER, add the possibility that JK Dobbins is used more in the passing game. At Ohio State he had 71 receptions (42 games) and 5 TDs. Maybe not an extensive number, but perhaps enough to make the opposing defense think about him a little while longer (?)... Bc
    Yes, you could be right. While Gore never had many targets under GRO, when he was in Buffalo with LeSean McCoy as his back, a more skilled receiver, McCoy had 57 targets.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

A no1 guy is a guy who can pick up a first down when it’s absolutely needed when the game is on the line...yeah Hollywood ain’t it. I hope Someone idc who steps up

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'm not sure many teams have a #1. Who is it in Pitt? Because they had 3 guys with almost the same yardage totals. Juju had more catches but was 3rd in yardage.

Same with Bengals - Boyd had more catches but Higgins had more yards.

I'd be happy with that type of experience
    johnson is #1 look at the targets

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Nope.

Yep.

Who should be the 1A?

Let's say its 3rd and 7 and the defense is playing Cover-0 with pressure.
    You have to throw hot.
    Holly and Bateman have the same match-up on a play.
    The coverage is the same.

Which WR would you target?
    You design routes to beat coverages not for specific players. Usually the defense dictates where the ball goes. QB sees the this defense the receivers go where they are designed to go and the ball goes where the defense dictates the ball goes.

I don’t think it's so much about who is 1 and 2 but more about who can beat what coverage. At this stage I don't think neither of them is a Diggs , Adams, Hopkins, etc. Where you line them up and and no matter the defense you throw them the ball. These guys are going to have to understand coverages and where the weakness in the coverage is. They are going to have to beat 1v1 coverage and run good routes. I think they will share targets and both should be able to eat in this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by HanktheRIPPER View Post
    Well I think drafting Bateman in the 1st is saying they’ve given up on Hollywood ever being a no1 guy...I’ve given up as well but he can still be no2!
    That doesn't mean that they have given up on Wood. Could mean that they see that they need another receiver so teams won't double Wood. Could mean that they need to make the pass offense more dynamic with one more playmaker (likely this scenario). I would be surprised if they don't pick up Woods 5th year option. For nothing else to keep Lamar happy. I think they will try to extend Wood but I don't think they will break the bank on him. Bateman gives them insurance in the case that Wood wants top receiver money (based on his recent outburst this is highly likely).

Quote Originally Posted by StalkRavenMad View Post
    That doesn't mean that they have given up on Wood. Could mean that they see that they need another receiver so teams won't double Wood. Could mean that they need to make the pass offense more dynamic with one more playmaker (likely this scenario). I would be surprised if they don't pick up Woods 5th year option. For nothing else to keep Lamar happy. I think they will try to extend Wood but I don't think they will break the bank on him. Bateman gives them insurance in the case that Wood wants top receiver money (based on his recent outburst this is highly likely).
    In case Hollywood wants top WR money!!! That’s fcukin sad! Haha!

One thing i am happy about drafting Bateman is that we drafted him before he was a "must draft position" ie like what we did when Torrey left in Perrimen. We didnt force it, he just fell to us which most didnt think would happen. So by the time Hollywood is ready to walk (i dont think we pay him) Bateman will be the guy we can depend on.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

As far as volume I still think the defacto primary receiver is Andrews

Out of strictly the WR's, with Bateman/Hollywood it's too early to tell who steps up as the "WR1" in 2021. I can see Bateman lighting it up and being that guy as a rookie, I can also see Hollywood getting even better with more WR talent to help spring him open and being the most productive WR in 2021.

Long term, I think it's Bateman though

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanMania View Post
    I don't remember a Roman offense ever having two really good WRs. This could be a unicorn.
    I'm hoping that the defense won't be able to key on anyone due to talent at all skill positions. Lamar can't go back to laser focused on just two guys. We have people that can actually catch the ball with speed everywhere.

Blog Entries

You design routes to beat coverages not for specific players.
    Its not one or the other its both. Plays are designed to beat coverages for sure but they're also designed to get certain players the ball.

I believe it was Bill Parcells that said something like in certain situations a playcaller should think of players not plays.

Usually the defense dictates where the ball goes. QB sees the this defense the receivers go where they are designed to go and the ball goes where the defense dictates the ball goes.
    If a team allows the offense to dictate where the ball goes then I would say there not a very good offense. Good offense design plays to get there play makers the ball.

I don’t think it's so much about who is 1 and 2 but more about who can beat what coverage. At this stage I don't think neither of them is a Diggs , Adams, Hopkins, etc. Where you line them up and and no matter the defense you throw them the ball. These guys are going to have to understand coverages and where the weakness in the coverage is. They are going to have to beat 1v1 coverage and run good routes. I think they will share targets and both should be able to eat in this offense.
    I'm not saying that either of the WR mentioned are Diggs, Adams or Hopkins.

I'm merely asking who would you design your offense/passing game to feature?
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said