Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: OT: O’s Pitcher Means throws No-Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Fittingly, it's looks almost exactly like Cal getting the final out in the 1983 World Series.

Here's some highlights on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJd1r02xmEU

Means' changeup looked unhittable.

As far as trading him goes, if the Orioles are above .500 at the trade deadline, I wouldn't. If we were to sneak into the playoffs, having a great #1 pitcher who steps it up in a 5 game series can win it for you.

We don't know if Means would be a Bumgarner\Smoltz\Pettite in the postseason, or a Kershaw on the opposite end, but if we're truly in contention, you can't trade the possibility of greatness away, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G0moB6CjBA

Loved that moment. Loudest OPACY has ever been. Loudest I've ever been, at least for an O's game. Family isn't used to me celebrating O's plays, just Ravens.

I can't believe the 3rd base coach waved JJ Hardy home. That slide with the finger touch is a thing of beauty.
    Not even in the glory years of 2012-2015?

Cool Re: OT: O’s Pitcher Means throws No-Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    You are right on both counts. The last no hitter by one pitcher was Palmer in '69 against the A's. He had just come off the disabled list (back when we called it that). But I don't think he was on acid.

Thirty years ago Milacki went six innings of no hit ball, followed by one inning each by Flanagan, Williams and the Otter. That was the team's last no hitter, also against the As.
    Shas, I was at the Palmer game in 69. It was one of the most exciting things that I have ever seen. The game had some weird moments. For one thing Mark Belanger made an error (which almost never happened) which put an A's player on base. For another Palmer, maybe because of his back, walked something like 8 batters during the game. Lastly, in the ninth inning Palmer walked the bases loaded and, I think, had a full count on the last batter that he faced. The guy hit a grounder to, I believe, an Orioles utility infielder named Bobby Floyd who was known for being a good pinch hitter but not the greatest infielder.

You could have heard a pin drop as the ground ball skipped along the infield into Floyd's glove and then he flipped the ball over to second base to get the final out.

And then the entire Memorial Stadium crowd (including myself) went Completely Nuts!

It was F**king incredible!!!

I work from home and was fortunate to multi task and watch the game. Absolutely brilliant performance. Fastball inside, changeup outside over and over again. Means never once shook off Pedro. Got goosebumps when he mentioned his father in his on field post game interview.
    Did anyone notice the final out was reminiscent of the one that ended the 83 world series. One can dream lol.
    I was also fortunate to see an actual no hitter in person, Hideo Nomo against the Orioles back in Sept 1996. Hate the redsox but had to give it up for him.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

I think trading Means would depend on 2 things ...O’s record at the deadline and the offer. If they can get some legit AA ,AA+ guys back ( including Atleast one pitcher) I’d pull the trigger. He’s a great guy , great story and maybe he’s proof that the system is finally fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Only trade him if you get some crazy deal. They are close enough to competing now that you should probably start hanging on to some of these guys especially ones that are as good as he seems to be.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Hell of a pitching performance. We finally have an ace and we talking about dealing him? We need to start finally building a foundation with guys like Means and Mancini who are 2 proven commodities and regaining our reputation of the Oriole Way.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Was this the only no hitter by a single orioles pitcher? I know they had one combination of pitches throw one

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Only trade him if you get some crazy deal. They are close enough to competing now that you should probably start hanging on to some of these guys especially ones that are as good as he seems to be.
    Means could be a decent pitcher for the next 7 to 10 years. With the way he's pitching right now the Orioles should only consider a trade if they get a godfather offer from another club. If Means was already in his 30's then it would make more sense to actively shop him around.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    Was this the only no hitter by a single orioles pitcher? I know they had one combination of pitches throw one
    I think they had one back in the palezoic era. Last one was Jim Palmer.

Of course the topic would immediately shift to trading the guy.