Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: OT: O’s Pitcher Means throws No-Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post

Ironic that former O's Pitching Coach & Manager Ray Miller died today.
    I loved that guy. Such an offbeat character (he was from Tacoma Park. Nuff said).

He also had a weird career with brief managerial opportunities in Minn, and Baltimore after Davey Johnson ran afoul of Angelos.

And then had to quit in '05 after the aneurysm. Made it fifteen more years but 76 is so young these days. RIP Rabbit.
    "That's what."
    — She

By the way, another feel good: Yesterday Grayson Rodriguez destroyed the Nat's high-A lineup in Aberdeen to start the minor league season
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    11:30 PM tonight on MASN the replay is supposed to broadcast. Means was on target and should have had a perfect game. He got charged on a wild pitch that Severino should have stopped.
    I don't get MASN here in WNC but MLB.com has it free game of the day on archive

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I was a Memorial Stadium when Hoyt Wilhelm threw a no hitter against the Yankees September 20, 1958

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/sept...-hits-yankees/
    I listened to the Wilhelm game on radio, and was at the Palmer game. Back then it was not unusual for O's to create memorable games for one reason or another. When I checked game status early this evening on espn and saw the No-no about to happen, turned on the TV to see the top of the 9th. I had forgotten how exciting such baseball moments can be.

IMO Means is a leading part of the group of players you have been trying to develop. Cannot trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Since us football types are in player acquisition mode, here's a question.

Should the O's consider trading Means?

Sounds crazy. A home grown pitcher who finally panned out for them. But he's 28. After seven starts he's got a 1.37 ERA right now. If he looks even half as good after 15 more starts, imagine what kind of haul they could get for him. The team would instantly have the best minor league system in the MLB, filled with guys 20-24 years old all progressing together, plus whatever even younger international players they can add after finally prioritizing that talent pool.

I don't think this would be like trading Lamar Jackson. It's more like the Dolphins trading Tunsil.

I'm sure I will get a lot of hell no's, but it would be a tough call for me as GM of a team looking to be great in 2024.

Means is a free agent in 2025, so you'd be giving him away with four and a half years of service time. That gives me pause. But it also makes me wonder what kind of incredible haul they'd get.

If he was a free agent after 2022, it's a no brainer.
    Up until today I was definitely on the trade him bus. Mainly being because he didn't/doesn't really have a track record where you could point to future sustainability and he mostly survives on FB/CH. The third pitch isn't quite there reliably, but it still may come along soon. Add to that he's almost 30 and we're still looking at a couple years before really contending... I'd say trade him while the value is there.

Now, I don't know. His FB/CH combo is pretty masterful. If he develops a third pitch with consistency... and maybe a fourth... you could have traded away a Maddux.

But maybe that's a little recency bias kicking in.

6. Re: OT: O’s Pitcher Means throws No-Hitter

The Delmon Young Double in the ALDS in a packed yard is #1 for me

27 outs, 12+ Ks, 0 hits, 0 walks:

Nap Rucker
    Sandy Koufax
    Randy Johnson
    Matt Cain
    Felix Hernandez
    Clayton Kershaw
    Max Scherzer
    John Means

Pretty good company.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    Thanks, remember that now. Didn't realize it was so long ago.

Ironic that former O's Pitching Coach & Manager Ray Miller died today.
    I didn’t hear that. RIP Rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gholla600 View Post
    Greatest sport day, in person for me too. My daughter took me, to thank me for her love of the O's.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gholla600 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G0moB6CjBA

Loved that moment. Loudest OPACY has ever been. Loudest I've ever been, at least for an O's game. Family isn't used to me celebrating O's plays, just Ravens.

I can't believe the 3rd base coach waved JJ Hardy home. That slide with the finger touch is a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    But maybe that's a little recency bias kicking in.
    That's what you're banking on with trade partners who see him as the key to winning right now and are willing to mortgage the future for right now, plus the four more years of control to boot.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!