Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: O’s Pitcher Means throws No-Hitter

Without a doubt the coolest moment of my life as an O's fan.

Quote Originally Posted by YoCo757 View Post
    Stellar job.
    Missed a perfect game by just one wild pitch.
    It wasn't just a wild pitch. It was a swinging strike out that crossed up Severino and got to the backstop, allowing the batter to steal first. (I think passed ball, but not sure) He was thrown out on the next pitch trying to steal second. Which is how Means faced the minimum number of batters, with no runs, no hits, no errors. Weird line. If Severino goes down to glove the pitch, he tags out the batter and it's a perfect game.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

first one since 1969!

I went down to the Browns bar that I haven't been inside in a year - saw it live. Love it!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    It wasn't just a wild pitch. It was a swinging strike out that crossed up Severino and got to the backstop, allowing the batter to steal first. (I think passed ball, but not sure) He was thrown out on the next pitch trying to steal second. Which is how Means faced the minimum number of batters, with no runs, no hits, no errors. Weird line. If Severino goes down to glove the pitch, he tags out the batter and it's a perfect game.
    Yes, I was wondering about that. Nothing wild about that pitch, as far as I could see.

Didn't realize this is our first No-Hitter in 52 years; that's embarrassing. Didn't the O's have a "No-Hitter by Committee" a while ago?

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    27 up, 27 down, no walks, no errors

Should've been a perfect game! So close!

Huge milestone either way
    He is the only pitcher in MLB history to throw a non-perfect no-hitter without a allowing a walk, error, or hit-by-pitch.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    Yes, I was wondering about that. Nothing wild about that pitch, as far as I could see.

Didn't realize this is our first No-Hitter in 52 years; that's embarrassing. Didn't the O's have a "No-Hitter by Committee" a while ago?
    You are right on both counts. The last no hitter by one pitcher was Palmer in '69 against the A's. He had just come off the disabled list (back when we called it that). But I don't think he was on acid.

Thirty years ago Milacki went six innings of no hit ball, followed by one inning each by Flanagan, Williams and the Otter. That was the team's last no hitter, also against the As.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Anyone know if/when MASN will show a replay of the game? I want to record it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't bother with MLB.com replays. They make you watch a :15 commercial to see a :10 clip of the last pitch that they cut off before Garceau even finishes his sentence.
    "That's what."
    — She

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    You are right on both counts. The last no hitter by one pitcher was Palmer in '69 against the A's. He had just come off the disabled list (back when we called it that). But I don't think he was on acid.

Thirty years ago Milacki went six innings of no hit ball, followed by one inning each by Flanagan, Williams and the Otter. That was the team's last no hitter, also against the As.
    Thanks, remember that now. Didn't realize it was so long ago.

Ironic that former O's Pitching Coach & Manager Ray Miller died today.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Neat! I wonder if I can get it on replay

All those failed starting pitchers and John Means turns out to be the guy. Nobody knows.
    11:30 PM tonight on MASN the replay is supposed to broadcast. Means was on target and should have had a perfect game. He got charged on a wild pitch that Severino should have stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Anyone know if/when MASN will show a replay of the game? I want to record it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11:30 PM on MASN tonight. Sometimes the schedule gets changed, but usually it's correct.

Since us football types are in player acquisition mode, here's a question.

Should the O's consider trading Means?

Sounds crazy. A home grown pitcher who finally panned out for them. But he's 28. After seven starts he's got a 1.37 ERA right now. If he looks even half as good after 15 more starts, imagine what kind of haul they could get for him. The team would instantly have the best minor league system in the MLB, filled with guys 20-24 years old all progressing together, plus whatever even younger international players they can add after finally prioritizing that talent pool.

I don't think this would be like trading Lamar Jackson. It's more like the Dolphins trading Tunsil.

I'm sure I will get a lot of hell no's, but it would be a tough call for me as GM of a team looking to be great in 2024.

Means is a free agent in 2025, so you'd be giving him away with four and a half years of service time. That gives me pause. But it also makes me wonder what kind of incredible haul they'd get.

If he was a free agent after 2022, it's a no brainer.
    "That's what."
    — She

Means also threw a first pitch strike to 26 of the 27 batters he faced, which is incredible in and of itself.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk