Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: O’s Pitcher Means throws No-Hitter

I just finished watching the no-hitter by John Means last night. WOW! He threw first pitch strikes to 26 out of 27 batters, had a 10 mph variance between his fast ball and change up, worked quickly, never shook off his catcher, and used the entire plate. Just one wild pitch on a strike out in the third inning separated him from a perfect game. That was the most beautiful pitching performance I have ever seen from an Orioles pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I just finished watching the no-hitter by John Means last night. WOW! He threw first pitch strikes to 26 out of 27 batters, had a 10 mph variance between his fast ball and change up, worked quickly, never shook off his catcher, and used the entire plate. Just one wild pitch on a strike out in the third inning separated him from a perfect game. That was the most beautiful pitching performance I have ever seen from an Orioles pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For how incredible the no-no was, 26 of 27 first pitch strikes is just as amazing
    God, Family, Country, Orioles Baseball, Ravens Football

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Also, Oriole pitcher Tom Phoebus threw one against the Red Sox in Boston a number of years ago too!
    Tom Phoebus...had never heard of him till you mentioned the guy. Only the 4th AL pitcher to throw back-to-back CG ShO in his first two MLB starts. Despite a 3.03 ERA with the O's in his first 5 seasons, he was traded away. Speaks volumes for how impossibly high the standards were for O's starters waaay back in the day. Still baffling that he got the axe, even when he had a lower ERA than Cuellar and McNally.

In any event- someone spoke earlier to the audacity of...Means throws a no-hitter and several knee-jerk reactions are- "How much trade value could we get for this guy?" rather than "We finally have a pitcher that the team can rally around." FFS- keep the guy. The Orioles haven't had a legit, inspirational pitcher since Mussina in the 90s.

Former Oriole Wade Miley just threw a no-hitter tonight. Good week!

Quote Originally Posted by Willbacker View Post
    Hell of a pitching performance. We finally have an ace and we talking about dealing him? We need to start finally building a foundation with guys like Means and Mancini who are 2 proven commodities and regaining our reputation of the Oriole Way.
    This.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Former Oriole Wade Miley just threw a no-hitter tonight. Good week!
    My wife, the Reds fan has been tired of me crowing about Means no-hitter. Now that her team got one, I'm getting payback all morning. She really ramped it up when I told her Miley came from the O's.

To her credit, she did watch the 9th inning of Means gem with me Wednesday and celebrated along.

Countdown to Means being traded by Os in 3...2...1...
    "Once a Raven, always a Raven" - Q

Quote Originally Posted by YoCo757 View Post
    Tom Phoebus...had never heard of him till you mentioned the guy. Only the 4th AL pitcher to throw back-to-back CG ShO in his first two MLB starts. Despite a 3.03 ERA with the O's in his first 5 seasons, he was traded away. Speaks volumes for how impossibly high the standards were for O's starters waaay back in the day. Still baffling that he got the axe, even when he had a lower ERA than Cuellar and McNally.
    Phoebus was a local guy, went to MSJ.

He was traded for Pat Dobson who then win 20 as part of the never-equalled 1970 team with 4 20-game winners. If I remember correctly, Phoebus was a curveballer who was thought to have reached his ceiling and the O's wanted a power guy, which Dobson was.

Interesting trivia - the catcher for his no-no was Curt Blefary, a converted outfielder-1B who was catching only his 4th game. Blefary had power and Os/Weaver were constantly searching for a power-hitting catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    Phoebus was a local guy, went to MSJ.

He was traded for Pat Dobson who then win 20 as part of the never-equalled 1970 team with 4 20-game winners. If I remember correctly, Phoebus was a curveballer who was thought to have reached his ceiling and the O's wanted a power guy, which Dobson was.

Interesting trivia - the catcher for his no-no was Curt Blefary, a converted outfielder-1B who was catching only his 4th game. Blefary had power and Os/Weaver were constantly searching for a power-hitting catcher.
    If a remember right, I think Blefary was ROY when he first played!

This was my first time seeing an individual no hitter it felt just like winning a World Series. I was so excited and proud to be a fan. When I was a teen the 4 O’s combined for one. And, I was at a game when Wilson Alvarez threw one against us. I heard there will be a special ceremony for Means today around 6:30 pm.

Blog Entries

Going to be a long season. The Ray's hit a homerun off a position player up 9-1 today. Game ends at 10-1.

17-26 heading into a 10 game road trip

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Going to be a long season. The Ray's hit a homerun off a position player up 9-1 today. Game ends at 10-1.

17-26 heading into a 10 game road trip
    Means is an All Star but he's only one part of a rotation

Also the offense is stinking it up - Trey Mancini, Freddy Galvis, Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins are the only position players doing well.