Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Falcons decline 5th year option on Hurst

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    If the Ravens are trying to win a Superbowl this year, Hurst is better than all of the TEs you listed save Andrews. Boyle wrecked his knee/leg and is no guarantee to even be ready this year. Hurst would make this team better and improve our chances, and he's cheap.
    Boyle on one leg is still twice the blocker Hurst is. If Hurst came back tomorrow, he would be TE3. Same as when he left. Nothing has changed, unless you have some news on Boyle’s recovery that no one else has.

And Hurst didn’t want to be here because he was TE3. Again — nothing has changed.

Hey, we could sign Travis Kelce and George Kittle. They’d make the team better than we would be without them. But it would be a ridiculous waste of resources.

We’ve got plenty of options for people who can be our TE3 next year. And who knows? We might actually start using some of our wide receivers!
    "Chin up, chest out."

Re: Falcons decline 5th year option on Hurst

Cincy could use him

I consider a first round pick a hit or miss based on whether their fifth year option is picked up. There are rare exceptions but I think based on the current CBA it makes the best sense. So with that

2018 FIRST ROUND

1. Baker Mayfield
    2. Saquon Barkley
    3. Sam Darnold
    4. Denzel Ward
    5. Bradley Chubb
    6. Quenton Nelson
    7. Josh Allen
    8. Roquan Smith
    9. Mike McGlinchey
    10. Josh Rosen
    11. Minkah Fitzpatrick
    12. Vita Vea
    13. Daron Payne
    14. Marcus Davenport
    15. Kolton Miller
    16. Tremaine Edmunds
    17. Derwin James
    18. Jaire Alexander
    19. Leighton Vander Esch
    20. Frank Ragnow
    21. Billy Price
    22. Rashaad Evans
    23. Isaiah Wynn
    24. DJ Moore
    25. Hayden Hurst
    26. Calvin Ridley
    27. Rashaad Penny
    28. Terrell Edmunds
    29. Taven Bryan
    30. Mike Hughes
    31. Sony Michel
    32. Lamar Jackson

5th year option exercised (or contract extended)
    5th year option declined (or cut)

Having 18 of the top 20 picks get their fifth year is pretty amazing, despite one of them being from a different team (Darnold). Vander Esch would have but he suffered a debilitating injury.

Also, don't draft a RB in round one.

Blog Entries

Not exercising the option doesn't mean the Falcons want to trade Hurst this year. It just means they don't think he's worth $5.5 million next year. The Falcons might even try to extend Hurst for a lower deal. Arthur Smith used all sorts of 2 TE sets with Johnnu Smith and Anthony Firsker with the Titans. It would make sense for him to at least try those ideas this year with Hurst and Pitts.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Not exercising the option doesn't mean the Falcons want to trade Hurst this year. It just means they don't think he's worth $5.5 million next year. The Falcons might even try to extend Hurst for a lower deal. Arthur Smith used all sorts of 2 TE sets with Johnnu Smith and Anthony Firsker with the Titans. It would make sense for him to at least try those ideas this year with Hurst and Pitts.
    Absolutely. Feel for Hurst but he’s going to be in a league for a second deal. Just might not look like Mark Andrews... I’m sure that’s what he was hoping for when getting the opportunity in ATL.

Some of these picks did not age well, especially Rosen. Hurst is included with Calvin Ridley next pick. I do get the pick for flacco and a tight end, just hindsight can hurt. Same time would Ridley be as good as he is playing for the Ravens...
    Just win baby...

Totally true. With defenses having to account for Pitts, Julio and Ridley, Hurst may be open more this year than ever before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I consider a first round pick a hit or miss based on whether their fifth year option is picked up. There are rare exceptions but I think based on the current CBA it makes the best sense. So with that

2018 FIRST ROUND

1. Baker Mayfield
    2. Saquon Barkley
    3. Sam Darnold
    4. Denzel Ward
    5. Bradley Chubb
    6. Quenton Nelson
    7. Josh Allen
    8. Roquan Smith
    9. Mike McGlinchey
    10. Josh Rosen
    11. Minkah Fitzpatrick
    12. Vita Vea
    13. Daron Payne
    14. Marcus Davenport
    15. Kolton Miller
    16. Tremaine Edmunds
    17. Derwin James
    18. Jaire Alexander
    19. Leighton Vander Esch
    20. Frank Ragnow
    21. Billy Price
    22. Rashaad Evans
    23. Isaiah Wynn
    24. DJ Moore
    25. Hayden Hurst
    26. Calvin Ridley
    27. Rashaad Penny
    28. Terrell Edmunds
    29. Taven Bryan
    30. Mike Hughes
    31. Sony Michel
    32. Lamar Jackson

5th year option exercised (or contract extended)
    5th year option declined (or cut)

Having 18 of the top 20 picks get their fifth year is pretty amazing, despite one of them being from a different team (Darnold). Vander Esch would have but he suffered a debilitating injury.

That's a great job listing them out. You see some guys that just never stepped up and other guys who played great (Vander Esch) but can't stay healthy.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post

Unless you're the Steelers. In which case, keep it up lads.

Which ironically would put him in the same situation he was in here when he asked for a larger role and ended up being traded. Doubt he would sign an extension under those conditions.

If the Falcons are in rebuild mode they may value a draft pick over one more year of Hurst. It most likely wouldn't be us they trade him to, but he may get traded.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

It wouldnt be shocking to see Andrews walk for a top deal elsewhere and we bring back Hurst to be TE1 on a much cheaper deal. Id agree, unlikely that both are on the team again, mostly because Hurst isnt going to want to be 2nd fiddle. Not sure of our cap situation next year, but Andrews is going to cost us a good bit on top of what Lamar will. Cant pay everybody. One of the main reasons I wanted us to draft a TE this year, so we have a guy ready step in next if needed. Granted Pouljan as an UDFA I think is a good pickup, but hes likely looked at as more of a Boyle replacement than Andrews.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    It wouldnt be shocking to see Andrews walk for a top deal elsewhere and we bring back Hurst to be TE1 on a much cheaper deal. Id agree, unlikely that both are on the team again, mostly because Hurst isnt going to want to be 2nd fiddle. Not sure of our cap situation next year, but Andrews is going to cost us a good bit on top of what Lamar will. Cant pay everybody. One of the main reasons I wanted us to draft a TE this year, so we have a guy ready step in next if needed. Granted Pouljan as an UDFA I think is a good pickup, but hes likely looked at as more of a Boyle replacement than Andrews.
    I think Andrews's new contract is inevitable. I think a lot of this offseason plan of getting a lot of draft picks, holding off on big money FAs was about clearing the decks to re-sign both Lamar and Andrews.

It makes sense to me. He gets open, the QB trusts him and TEs are a lot cheaper than WRs.

Blog Entries

It would be shocking to me if they let Andrews walk. The team pays TEs, no reason to think they won't pay market value for Andrews.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52