Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

It's June 1st officially 100 days until kickoff

100 days until real NFL football!

Re: It's June 1st officially 100 days until kickoff

For about 30 players this is it. Last chance to do what they love. Hope they all stay healthy and get as many plays on tape as possible. Who knows our cuts might be another teams upgrade and another chance for the player.

3. Re: It's June 1st officially 100 days until kickoff

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    For about 30 players this is it. Last chance to do what they love. Hope they all stay healthy and get as many plays on tape as possible. Who knows our cuts might be another teams upgrade and another chance for the player.
    Is it weird that I actually sorta miss preseason? Yeah, it's mostly an exhibition of the B and C Squads showing out on the field, but I love an underdog and a lot of those guys are doing exactly what you mentioned.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

I wish they would go to 18 games with 2 preseason. They would have to go with three byes in that case.

Each team has one bye in each third of the season.
    No team has bye weeks back to back.
    None the first or last weeks.
    All foreign and Thursday night games are after a bye and no bye follows Thursdays.
    Bye always follows any Tuesday night football (unless emergency makeup) and ideally follows MNF, possibly follows SNF.

Just installing two more bye weeks (which means two more weeks in the season) gets the league two extra weeks of prime time game revenue. Also another half month of football season.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    I wish they would go to 18 games with 2 preseason. They would have to go with three byes in that case.

All foreign and Thursday night games are after a bye and no bye follows Thursdays.
    Bye always follows any Tuesday night football (unless emergency makeup) and ideally follows MNF, possibly follows SNF.

Just installing two more bye weeks (which means two more weeks in the season) gets the league two extra weeks of prime time game revenue. Also another half month of football season.
    I'm surprised they haven't done this to extend the season. It brings in more revenue, makes the league year longer and the league can pretend like they care about player safety by adding the extra time off. And I'm sure the players Association would be in favor of extra bye weeks

Offseason has gone unusually fast for me.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't done this to extend the season. It brings in more revenue, makes the league year longer and the league can pretend like they care about player safety by adding the extra time off. And I'm sure the players Association would be in favor of extra bye weeks
    The networks are not fans of the byes. Also, 3? We only have 1 with 16 and 17 games. 2 would be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The networks are not fans of the byes. Also, 3? We only have 1 with 16 and 17 games. 2 would be plenty.
    Yeah I agree 2 makes more sense. I was just saying I'm surprised they have done more than the 1 bye.

Why don't the networks like byes? Do you mean the local networks don't like the byes because the local market doesn't tune in when their team is off?

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    Yeah I agree 2 makes more sense. I was just saying I'm surprised they have done more than the 1 bye.

Why don't the networks like byes? Do you mean the local networks don't like the byes because the local market doesn't tune in when their team is off?
    The local channels lose viewers when the home team is off which hurts the network ratings. Maybe I shouldn't say "hate" as much as prefer when there are none. They do get those viewers back.

They ought to go to two byes with a 17 game season. One bye would be before your Thursday night game if you rate one. That way you get 10 days before your game and ten days after your game to recover and install a full game plan. Any short week game plan is a poor excuse for your best effort. Plus the extra rest would help players recover from minor injuries. Makes too much sense to happen I know.

Also bottom third of last years records should get no Thursday night games at all as a way to get bad teams out of prime time. Who wants to watch Cincinnati play Detroit or Jax play the Jets on a Thursday night? Short answer is nobody. But if both teams were near .500 the year before the game ought to be somewhat decent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post

I think eventually the NFL will go to an 18 game schedule, but with only two BYE weeks. Ideally after the 6th and 12th games, but I do not see three BYE weeks (unless perhaps they play more games in foreign countries with extensive travel ?).

JMO... Bc